PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a 45 LC carbine to me

Gunslingerdoc
01-20-2015, 11:58 AM
The obvious choice is a lever gun but it doesn't have be. Ive decided while I like shooting my Blackhawk 45 LC, I really don't like shooting it loaded hot. I love the 45 LC and have decided I 'need' a carbine so chambered I can hot rod. Accuracy needs to be as good or preferably better than the 3-4 MOA one gets from an AK - Im an ex service rifle shooter so even though its a carbine, accuracy matters. I've grown bored of the NV equipped AR for wild dogs and other chicken molesters so shots will be up to 125 yards but often closer. Don't have a hog problem, but do travel to TX to help my uncle with pig control - using an older guide gun, but would like to give a 45 LC carbine a whirl.

Recommend away

pietro
01-20-2015, 12:33 PM

IMHO, it's hard to beat either a Winchester (or clone) Model 1892/92 or a Marlin Model 1894.

The Model 92 is much stronger than the Marlin, and a Rossi M92 will present just about the least expensive price point, new or used.

Even less expensive would be a non-repeating H&R/NEF break-open single-shot, aka: Handi.

claude
01-20-2015, 12:52 PM
I'm partial to the Henry Big Boy's, very smooth, well fitted, accurate.

If you like warmish 45LC loads, read this;

http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/dissolving_the_myth.htm

magyars4
01-20-2015, 01:09 PM
I have owned or currently own a Marlin 1894, Winchester 1894, Rossi model 92. all in 16" barrels. For just plinking and carrying I prefer the Rossi, its lighter and seems to carry better when your hand is around the reciver, just forward of the lever.
If I was going to buy a Winchester I would get a pre-safety model. and steer clear of the large loops.

TheCelt
01-20-2015, 01:19 PM
I'm partial to the Henry Big Boy's, very smooth, well fitted, accurate.

If you like warmish 45LC loads, read this;

http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/dissolving_the_myth.htm

Good read Claude, thanks for posting.

DougGuy
01-20-2015, 01:20 PM
Been wanting a companion caliber lever gun forever now too, and my vote would go to the Henry Big Boy in .45 Colt. Strong, MADE IN USA, accurate..

bangerjim
01-20-2015, 01:21 PM
I have a Rossi 92 and love it. Smooth action, accurate shooting. I would recommend it.

bigarm
01-20-2015, 01:36 PM
I have Marlins in 44 and 44-40 and love them. I just got a Rossi .357 with a 24" octagon barrel and so far like it a lot. I put a Skinner barrel mount peep sight on it and like that sight very much, pretty inexpensive and easy to install. I am interested in getting a 45 colt revolver and if I do, I am strongly considering another Rossi in 45 colt. At the price, it just seems to be a good value.

18Bravo
01-20-2015, 01:53 PM
My farm gun is a 20 inch barrel Rossi R92 in 45 Colt. I've had it for a few years now and it has never failed me. It was a bit gritty out of the box but enough rounds have gone down range to make it a pleasure to shoot. Being a farm gun (think "tool") I didn't need nor want one of the more expensive versions of the 92. It has served me faithfully without and problems keeping the small to medium varmints at bay. We don't have hogs up here yet so I can't say how a 45 Colt will handle them. When we hog at our place in SC I take the 45-70 just for the added insurance.

osteodoc08
01-20-2015, 02:16 PM
You've got several options

at the top (for me) is the Marlin, closely followed by the Winchester 92 and clones. Marlin takes the edge due to ease of mounting a low power scope.

next up is the henry, I just never liked the loading tube.

then there are the 1873 replicas, which incidentally, were never actually chamber in 45 Colt, originally.

Then there are single shots.

Lonegun1894
01-20-2015, 04:19 PM
I have a Winchester 94 .45 Colt and a Rossi 92 .45 Colt. The 92 action feeds pistol length rounds much better than the rifle length 94 action does, but both are about equal in accuracy. The 1:30" twist of the Rossi is an advantage to you over the 1:16" (IIRC) of the Winchester. The only Marlin 1894 I have shot is a friends .357, and it is also a great gun, and easier to mount a scope if you should choose to. In my case, I plan on sticking with irons as long as I can, and like how easy the 1:30" ROT makes things, so use the Rossi MUCH more than the Winchester.

As to the caliber itself on hogs, I have used both my .45 Colt rifles and my BH on hogs, and it works great. I tend to hunt like I'm bow hunting regardless of what weapon I use, so take the ranges into consideration, but I have taken hogs with .45 Colt loads varying from a 255gr at 500fps (to the head) and on up to a 300gr at 1850fps out of the rifle through both shoulders, and as long as the placement is good, the hogs go down either immediately or very shortly.

Gunslingerdoc
01-20-2015, 04:34 PM
I know nothing about the Rossi's. I had also thought I had read something about the marlin being a stronger action than the Winchester - not that it probably matters. Im not sure I can stomach the brass receiver or the lack of a loading gate on the Henry....Now if they came with the non-shiney patina of the antiques I might be game.

RPRNY
01-20-2015, 04:39 PM
I am selling a 16.5" Rossi R92 in 45 lc that runs very well. Trading up in capacity to a 10 shot 20" barrel. Bought in Oct. 50 smokeless cowboy loads and 45 black powder loads through it. Comes with Steves Gunz stainless steel mag follower and bolt safety delete. Box, papers, receipts.

PM if interested.

bangerjim
01-20-2015, 04:44 PM
I know nothing about the Rossi's. I had also thought I had read something about the marlin being a stronger action than the Winchester - not that it probably matters. Im not sure I can stomach the brass receiver or the lack of a loading gate on the Henry....Now if they came with the non-shiney patina of the antiques I might be game.

I think that is why people spend all the high $$ for the Henry "Golden Boy" is to get that shiny show-room brass look. I have not seen one in an antique patina, but have not seen everything H makes.

And I like the side loading.

I have an all SST Rossi 38/357 lever that is a dream to shoot and is a dead-eye on accracy. And looks really nice! Wife loves to shoot it.

Do not pass the opportunity to get a Rossi lever (of the cal you want) on sale somewhere as I did!

banger

Gunslingerdoc
01-20-2015, 05:18 PM
I think that is why people spend all the high $$ for the Henry "Golden Boy" is to get that shiny show-room brass look. I have not seen one in an antique patina, but have not seen everything H makes.

And I like the side loading.

I have an all SST Rossi 38/357 lever that is a dream to shoot and is a dead-eye on accracy. And looks really nice! Wife loves to shoot it.

Do not pass the opportunity to get a Rossi lever (of the cal you want) on sale somewhere as I did!

banger

Will do! Side loading is a requirement I think. I have a buddy that has a rolling block carbine in 45 LC and eventhough we have MG's and all kinds of go fast stuff, we often end up shooting that thing as simple and low speed as it is...just something fun about pistol calibers in a rifle

clum553946
01-20-2015, 06:00 PM
I have a Winchester 94 AE 45 Long Colt, got it for stand shooting hogs but really enjoy just plinking with it! I won't get into what brand or model of rifle is better, but will tell you the 45 LC is well worth having in your arsenal!

seaboltm
01-20-2015, 06:25 PM
Rossi 92

birch
01-20-2015, 06:30 PM
If you have long arms and are a big guy, the Rossi seems very uncomfortable. I'm not saying stay away at all costs, but I would surely handle one before you place an order at buds.

Gunslingerdoc
01-20-2015, 11:57 PM
If you have long arms and are a big guy, the Rossi seems very uncomfortable. I'm not saying stay away at all costs, but I would surely handle one before you place an order at buds.

Big...gut yes. Long arms...no. Pretty average height, shortish arms so a Rossi might work.

Those uberti lever guns are sure pretty but seem almost too nice! I'd be PO'd first time I dinged it up!

JHeath
01-21-2015, 03:15 AM
You want to hot-rod the .45LC? The Rossi 92 is available chambered for .454. Somebody else will have to tell you whether it will feed .45LC cases reliably. I had one and didn't enjoy the recoil.

gmsharps
01-21-2015, 06:19 AM
The Euberti 1866 yellow boy is nice.

gmsharps

Gunlaker
01-21-2015, 11:06 AM
I like the quality of the new Winchester guns but I'm not a big fan of their triggers. In .45 Colt I have an older Marlin 1894 with a Wild West Guns trigger. It breaks very nicely at 2lbs. To me the trigger is a big deal. The barrel on mine isn't the best one Marlin has put out, but as long as the load is not too light it'll hold 2.5" at 100 yards with apertures front and rear. I find that light loads have a fair bit of vertical dispersion in my rifle. The exception is when loading with black powder. It holds vertical better than when loaded with Unique.

Chris.

Gunslingerdoc
01-21-2015, 12:39 PM
I talked to a buddy that's big in the cowboy action game and he spoke highly of the rossi's other than saying they needed a little 'slicking up'. The price is surely better... seems used 30-30's are cheap but the pistol chambered carbines are quite pricey, comparatively speaking.

BCRider
01-21-2015, 03:59 PM
I know that this is the lever gun forum but along with the excellent lever guns suggested so far there's a rolling block carbine single shot sold by Pedersoli in .45Colt. Pricey but by all accounts an excellent shooter and the sort of thing you'd want to keep for a lifetime.

Gunslingerdoc
01-21-2015, 05:36 PM
I know that this is the lever gun forum but along with the excellent lever guns suggested so far there's a rolling block carbine single shot sold by Pedersoli in .45Colt. Pricey but by all accounts an excellent shooter and the sort of thing you'd want to keep for a lifetime.

My buddy has one that Ive tried to get him to sell me for years! We shoot the heck out of that thing all the time...awesome gun!

Gunslingerdoc
01-21-2015, 05:37 PM
Any reason to stay away from the Uberti 1873 with an 18" barrel? I know stoger shotguns don't have a good rep for durability...

JHeath
01-21-2015, 08:13 PM
Conventional wisdom is that the 1873 is not the design to hot-rod. I've asked around about this a bit. Sounds like it doesn't necessarily risk a kb in the modern guns, but could pound the toggle mechanism loose with repetition. At which point you replace the toggles, which is not the end of the world. But the 92 design is inherently much stronger.

gon2shoot
01-22-2015, 05:19 PM
I have several long guns in 45, I prefer the 92's for feel and strength. (see sig line)

1Papalote
01-22-2015, 05:58 PM
Marlin cowboy. I killed a truckload of critters with mine as well as many boxes of clays set out at 110 yards, wild turkey at 85 yards. Lee 255 and unique.

1Papalote

btroj
01-22-2015, 09:10 PM
The 24 in Marlin CB all the way. Mine is a great shooter.

35 Whelen
01-22-2015, 09:23 PM
I have a Rossi '92 in .357 and while it is certainly a practical gun I am totally infatuated with the Uberti 1873's. Like the OP I wanted a cartridge rifle combo except I shoot a .44 Special. I originally had a 20" 1873 in .44 Special but it the octagon barrel which made the rifle too heavy for my taste. So, I sold it and bought one in 19" saddle ring carbine chambered in .44 Magnum. LOVE IT! The '73's I've handled and fired were so much smoother than the '92's, albeit somewhat heavier.
Cimarron makes the 19" carbine in 45 Colt. While I don't know about hot-rodding it, standard loads with slow burning powders should easily run 255 - 285 gr. bullets in the 1300+ fps range. In fact Handloader #261 has data for a 20" Uberti 1873 lever in which they attain 1400 fps with a 255 gr. cast bullet.

Good luck with your decision!

35W

Markbo
01-26-2015, 12:44 PM
What about 20" over 16"? Is the ballistic advantage worth the extra weight and worse balance?

35 Whelen
01-26-2015, 01:03 PM
What about 20" over 16"? Is the ballistic advantage worth the extra weight and worse balance?

I personally think the 'worse' balance would be with the 16" and the additional weight couldn't amount to more than a couple or three ounces.

35W

Gunslingerdoc
01-26-2015, 03:17 PM
Im not sure I need a 20" barrel, the powder ought to burning fast enough that the extra inches wont do much other than add weight...

35 Whelen
01-26-2015, 04:01 PM
I agree the extra 4" of barrel length, from the standpoint of velocity, is pretty much inconsequential with most powders. My issue with a 16" barrel would be it might be too short....sort if like a SxS shotgun with 18.5" barrels, they just don't handle well...at least for me.

35W

RPRNY
01-26-2015, 09:42 PM
Of course it is a matter of personal preference but the sight radius on the 16" 92 doesn't seem to negatively impact accuracy

Lonegun1894
01-27-2015, 05:04 AM
I have both 16" and 20", and much prefer the 20" barrels. I don't think there's much ballistic advantage, if any, but I prefer the balance and longer sight radius of the 20" over the 16". With mine, the accuracy is equal, and there's not any difference in drop (but I have not chronographed them side by side), so I think it is just personal preference.

TXGunNut
01-29-2015, 11:34 PM
I have a Winchester 94AE Trapper that doesn't get out much but IIRC it doesn't have the feeding problems folks seem to attribute to this model and cartridge. "Warmish" loads are not an issue with this little carbine, plenty strong and easy on the shoulder. That said I've been wanting a Rossi for some time now, but in a different chambering.
Back to your RBH, what kind of loads were you having recoil issues with? What type of grips is it wearing?

DougGuy
01-30-2015, 12:09 AM
I had one each of those 94AE Trappers in .44 and .45 calibers. The .44 was pretty good, the .45 Colt kept shooting the wedge out from under the rear sight and I had to file a square groove in the barrel and very cleverly fit a piece of keystock in that groove and drill it to run the front band screw through, it kept shooting the whole forearm forward until I anchored it with the keystock. Worked pretty dang good, and I replaced the rear sight with I forgot who made it but it was another buckhorn like the factory but it stayed put much better.

Thank God I didn't know about the Lee C452-300-RF or the C430-310-RF back then, my shoulder used to get a beating every time I took those shorties to the range.