PDA

View Full Version : Questions on design and suggestions

Cookieman
01-20-2015, 11:32 AM
I am looking to get a new mould for my 45/110 ( ok, 2 7/8s..) Sharps. I now shoot 500s and was looking at the ' money' bullet in 535, or maybe heavier?? Any suggestions or experience? And what is the advantage of a
' reduced size front band' ...there are several options mentioned that I have no idea what would be a benefit to a fledgling shooter/bullet-caster like myself. It APPEARS that the 'money' bullet is a bit more streamlined, realtively speaking, than the Creedmore styles, but is it enough to really matter? Nose pour vs bottom pour? And how much difference does extra weight and design matter to the avg shooter over the 500gr Creedmore-style of bullet? Is it Theory vs Reality?? How good do I have to be to realize a benefit from a bullet change?

littlejack
01-21-2015, 01:55 AM
Hey Cookieman:
Welcome to the CastBoolits.
You may have better/more input by posting the question on the Back Powder Cartridge site.
Regards
Jack

Bigslug
01-22-2015, 02:05 AM
NOE has this copy of the Postell ( http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=42&products_id=1107&osCsid=drn43gj8mtgg6c3g2mlqbj9550 ) that I can vouch for on a limited basis - at 100 yards with a subsonic starting velocity, it's very accurate. Have yet to shoot it supersonic from a big case.

As for "streamlining", somewhat different rules apply with BPCR. For jacketed, the game is typically to keep the bullet going supersonic as long as possible. For black powder and big cases, it's more about a bullet that won't destabilize as is drops through the sonic barrier, and continues on its path as if nothing had changed. You want a bullet that can "coast", and extra weight will help with that - not that 500 grains is a "little" bullet by any means. You don't need a sharp nose - the profile of the space shuttle main fuel tank works well for this.