PDA

View Full Version : ADI Powder Plant at Full Production

Ken in Iowa
01-20-2015, 12:27 AM
After a fire in June 2013 that stopped production of popular powders such as Hodgdon Clays, International and Universal, the plant is back on line.

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloaders/news.asp#item0

it will surely be a while until the pipelines are full, but this is good news for pistol and shotgun shooters.

Rock
01-20-2015, 02:54 AM
Thank you for this good news.

Now a few cargo ship loads to Hodgdon, followed by packaging, then shipment to distributors, then I can get powder again!

RogerDat
01-20-2015, 03:12 AM
Great News! Now where is that Happy Dance emoticon?

9w1911
01-20-2015, 03:26 AM
ADI needs to just sell direct.

Rick Hodges
01-20-2015, 10:10 AM
I purchased newly run HP38 a month ago...in northern Michigan. It is in the pipeline.

ShooterAZ
01-20-2015, 10:29 AM
I haven't seen Clays in years...hopefully some is coming my way. I'm down to my last pound of it.

dilly
01-20-2015, 10:57 AM
How come this is the first I've heard of this?

Rock
01-20-2015, 11:35 AM

Because people think Hodgdon makes all of their own powder and masks the identity of the actual manufacturers.

dragon813gt
01-20-2015, 11:40 AM

Because the plant is in a foreign country so it gets no coverage here. It's amusing if you search for it. You get all types of forum chatter about how the plant has been running and it's all a conspiracy theory.

xacex
01-20-2015, 11:54 AM
Ah, finally! I used my last pound of universal last month. I still have a few pounds of clays, but just do not use it anymore for 45. Maybe it will work for subsonic blackout like red dot does.

tomme boy
01-20-2015, 12:08 PM
Guy over on a shotgun site just posted pics of 2 8lb jugs of Universal and International that had a package date of Jan 8 and 9 of 2015. So some of the ADI powders are here.

I would like to get some universal.

Iowa Fox
01-20-2015, 04:15 PM
Wonder how ADI ships powder to Hodgdon. 50 lb paper sacks like livestock feed stacked on a pallet with shrink wrap- two to three hundred pound plastic totes with the built in fork holes, 50 to 100 pound cardboard canisters stacked on a pallet with shrink wrap? We know the shipments are tons and tons of the stuff. Or, with todays automation at some plants maybe its put right into 1-4-5 and 8 pound bottles, cased, ready for resale so Hodgdon does not have to repackage.

39duck
01-20-2015, 04:21 PM
I saw that picture of the Clays family powders on sgw a few days ago I was also reading that about a month ago it was on a container ship stuck in our harbor not being allowed to be offloaded

39duck
01-20-2015, 04:26 PM
Wonder how ADI ships powder to Hodgdon. 50 lb paper sacks like livestock feed stacked on a pallet with shrink wrap- two to three hundred pound plastic totes with the built in fork holes, 50 to 100 pound cardboard canisters stacked on a pallet with shrink wrap? We know the shipments are tons and tons of the stuff. Or, with todays automation at some plants maybe its put right into 1-4-5 and 8 pound bottles, cased, ready for resale so Hodgdon does not have to repackage.
I'm not sure how it's packaged but I know they can only ship a limited amount of weight of powder per shipment

jonp
01-20-2015, 07:13 PM
I have 2 lbs of Universal left. I don't use it much but it is nice to hear that the plant is back up.

jonp
01-20-2015, 07:13 PM
Guy over on a shotgun site just posted pics of 2 8lb jugs of Universal and International that had a package date of Jan 8 and 9 of 2015. So some of the ADI powders are here.

I would like to get some universal.

What shotgun sight? I'm not going to buy any but I would like to see what he is charging and what people are willing to pay there

39duck
01-20-2015, 07:21 PM
What shotgun sight? I'm not going to buy any but I would like to see what he is charging and what people are willing to pay there
It was someone posting picture in a thread on Shotgun World

kweidner
01-20-2015, 07:55 PM
Wish I could get one of those containers delivered to my door. Figure a shipping container would keep me busy for a bit. Heck I'd even cut down a few trees to get it in my back acerage. In my youth I used to dream about fast cars. Now powder lead and primers. Who needs a fast car when bullets can reach speeds of 4k fps?

39duck
01-20-2015, 08:14 PM
Problem is it will take a year or more for us all to get stocked back up and there will be enough on the shelves to appease everyone. I was fortunate to have an extra 8 lbs of Clays on hand when the plant burnt down. I shoot a lot of skeet and my last jug is getting pretty light. I also load the 410 so I had just bought 8 lbs of H110 because I couldn't find a 4 lber and happy for that too.

Ken in Iowa
01-20-2015, 08:27 PM
Problem is it will take a year or more for us all to get stocked back up and there will be enough on the shelves to appease everyone. I was fortunate to have an extra 8 lbs of Clays on hand when the plant burnt down. I shoot a lot of skeet and my last jug is getting pretty light. I also load the 410 so I had just bought 8 lbs of H110 because I couldn't find a 4 lber and happy for that too.

agreed. I used to think a years supply was good. Now 2-3 years makes better sense.

I was getting by shooting old odds and ends of pistol powder. Lucked out this summer when I found a partial keg of 700x from an old shooter. He had a little Unique and 2400 too.

39duck
01-20-2015, 08:34 PM
I do have to thank Obama for getting me into mettalic loading! I was a shotgun loader only until he got elected the 1st time. Then I felt I needed to be set up for most of what was in the gun safe or at least the important ones

GabbyM
01-20-2015, 10:04 PM
I purchased newly run HP38 a month ago...in northern Michigan. It is in the pipeline.

Last I heard HP-38 and WW-231 were made in Florida.

That is good news. About out of Universal. But then just because I've stuffed about 3,000 38 Special cases this month. That's a couple years worth of 38's for me.

GabbyM
01-20-2015, 10:12 PM
Just saw in the article ADI is making Bench Mark 8208 extruded rifle powder. That's one I was wanting to try in my 223 and 222 next. Few years back I was shooting with some BR shooters running 6 BR caliber and that's all any of them were using at the time.

We could use all we can get of that rate of powder to loosen it all up.

mtgrs737
01-20-2015, 11:46 PM
It looks like Hodgdon powders are starting to flow here in Kansas, I have seen more on the shelves than I have in the last couple of years. Powders like tightgroup, tightwad, HS-6, HP-38, varget, along with the normal rifle powders. I have seen 8 pounders of IMR rifle powder, pounders of W231, and even two 8 pounders of Red Dot last Saturday. So far no Green Dot, or clays powders have I seen, but I am sure they are coming. I do think that prices are going to be higher, maybe as much as 30 % higher, but once stocks are replenished who knows what will happen. Those two kegs of Red Dot had $159 on them....... so I am not a buyer at those prices.

GabbyM
01-21-2015, 12:31 AM
mtgrs737: You may want to keep in mind we have been running near double digit inflation for several years now. I'm surprised an 8 pound can isn't close to $300.

39duck
01-21-2015, 07:15 AM
You never know after supplies return and settle down maybe the prices will too, who'd a thought we'd be paying what we are for gas right now:!:

tomme boy
01-21-2015, 10:54 AM
Enjoy the gas where it is at. In about 6-9 months it will be higher than it was before. With all of the drill rigs going bankrupt and the rest of the world soon to cut production, the reserves of oil will be gone and they will have learned their lesson on having too much oil. Put your $ away that you save for gas today because you are going to need it.

Dhammer
01-21-2015, 11:25 AM
I haven't seen any yet :( LGS does have shelves full of powder at all times now, unlike Cabeals and bass pro which still seem to be almost empty. But, its the clays, international etc I use for my shotgun reloading. Goes quick trap shooting too. Since me moved, don't have the hook up for cheap 12/20 guage by the case. Next time I know were going back to IL, going to call the old club and see if I can just have them hang on to order for me from when the distrubitor drops of member orders.

trapper9260
01-21-2015, 12:53 PM
I was wondering when that plant will get going again .Thank you for posting about it.

Certaindeaf
01-21-2015, 01:25 PM
I saw that picture of the Clays family powders on sgw a few days ago I was also reading that about a month ago it was on a container ship stuck in our harbor not being allowed to be offloaded
I hear that on our west coast there's some to do along with the longshoremen union. some serious problems to the order of billions lost per day because of the idling ships and lost (rotted) cargo

Patricklaw
01-21-2015, 01:25 PM
I for one am anxiously awaiting the return of our beloved pistol powders. It's unfortunate that this plant fire occurred almost simultaneously with the run on supplies due to other factors.

Dhammer
01-21-2015, 01:35 PM
Yeah, they weren't the only ones either. Rio had one of their plants blow up and thought someone else ran into issues at same time

BCB
01-21-2015, 01:56 PM
I see they offer a powder designated as Benchmark 8208. I wonder if that is the same powder as IMR-8208 XBR?...

That powder is fantastic in my Contender Carbine in 6.8mm SPC cartridge and the Hornady 120 SST. (I know, this is a cast boolit site)...

The IMR-8208 is in short supply in my area...

Thanks...BCB

Patricklaw
01-21-2015, 03:19 PM
I see they offer a powder designated as Benchmark 8208. I wonder if that is the same powder as IMR-8208 XBR?...

That powder is fantastic in my Contender Carbine in 6.8mm SPC cartridge and the Hornady 120 SST. (I know, this is a cast boolit site)...

The IMR-8208 is in short supply in my area...

Thanks...BCB

A couple years ago Hodgdon featured 8208 XBR in their annual reloading manual/magazine. It was a very informative article covering the history and I think it was made at this plant. I got all excited about the powder and developed a load in my 204 Ruger. It was very consistent but I think that was back in my pre-chrono days so how consistent will remain a mystery. Then I sold the 204 and have been wondering what to do with my two pounds of it every since.

BCB
01-21-2015, 03:24 PM
A couple years ago Hodgdon featured 8208 XBR in their annual reloading manual/magazine. It was a very informative article covering the history and I think it was made at this plant. I got all excited about the powder and developed a load in my 204 Ruger. It was very consistent but I think that was back in my pre-chrono days so how consistent will remain a mystery. Then I sold the 204 and have been wondering what to do with my two pounds of it every since.

Guess I'll leaf through my Annual Manuals as I have them all. Maybe read about the IMR-8208XBR back then, but really had not need for it--now I do use it...

Thanks...BCB