PDA

View Full Version : Eaa Witness?

dk17hmr
02-24-2008, 05:38 PM
I have been looking at and reading about these pistols for a while, I about have myself talked into buyin a Witness, either a Match or a standard Tanfoglio, in 40 S&W. Caliber is not going to change because we have buckets of 40 S&W brass and no gun to load for.

With a difference of about $100 is there any advantage with the Match over the Standard?

Primary purpose of this pistol would be to shoot cast bullets, if it is carryable (is that a word) for me it maybe a carry gun, maybe to shoot IDPA or something in the future.

Anyone have a one? Need to know more about them.

bobthenailer
02-26-2008, 08:47 PM
if you have any extraction problems change the extractor spring with a wolff extra power spring , my friend has one in 9mm with a 40 s&w conversion kit , i had to change the extractor spring on both slides, this ia a common problem with these pistols.

Castoff
02-26-2008, 10:20 PM
dk17hmr.
I bought a full size Tanfolio Witness in .40 S&W caliber. As you noted, Tanfolio makes a full line of many pistols, including target grade models.
While this is not the top of the line of their pistols, I am very pleased with the pistol. It is well machined of SS and well fitted and function is flawless.
I have shot 300 rounds throught it. All have been cast boolits which I reloaded.
Some were 135 SWC and some 155 gr SWC and some 180 gr TC.
I have shot it slow fire and radip fire, without a malfunction of any sort.
It cycled all of the different types well.
I feel very confident about this pistol.
I also have an all steel Tanfolio 9mm , which I have had for 30 years and am very pleased with it.
I hope you will find yours the same and you have many good days at the range shooting it.
Castoff

Bret4207
02-27-2008, 06:59 AM
My wife has a EAA Witness 40. Nice gun, no complaints thus far.

bsibjr
02-27-2008, 10:11 AM
I have an EAA witness P in 45 acp, its reliable and loves cast, good all around pistol in my opinion.

boogalou
03-04-2008, 12:44 PM
I currently own a Match in .45ACP and used to own the standard Witness in the same caliber. The Match has a better trigger, (SA only) longer barrel, adjustable Bomar type rear sight (newer ones have a different rear sight) and just plain better fit & finish. I've shot nothing but cast in this gun and I'm extremely pleased with the results. If you can afford it, especially for range work, the Match is the way to go.

Hope this helps.

Buckshot
03-05-2008, 03:24 AM
.............I bought mine originally in 38 Super. A couple of years ago I added the 45 ACP kit.

http://www.fototime.com/FF84D74B4C50FB5/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/557C501A8CF797A/standard.jpg

The 45ACP slide I got was ordered in their 'Starvell' finish. In 38 Super the pistol was match grade in accuracy. The barrel I got with the 45 ACP kit apparenlty had some issues as it just would not shoot. Naturally, being the accomplished procrastinator I am I'd fooled around so long before ever deciding to do anything about it, I just ordered another barrel.

I'm sure had I acted in a few months that EAA would have agreed and the replacement barrel would have been free, except for maybe shipping. But I DID get the new barrel and it too has proven to be a fine shooter.

I have one complaint about the pistol, and that is it seems to me that the trigger is too short.

http://www.fototime.com/731C07902ADA533/standard.jpg
Other then that it is a superbly crafted machine. If you plan on any hot loads, be sure to get the Wolff recoil spring pack. As you can see, the case is very well supported in the chamber, and the 45 ACP is the same. You can get the Super up to some pretty hilarious ballistics :-)

...................Buckshot