PDA

View Full Version : Finally a 4 5/8 Super Blackhawk

pull the trigger
01-19-2015, 09:11 PM
I have had a 7 1/2" stainless SBH for years now and it shoots fantastic. But I have always wanted a short barrel SBH. My LGS finally had one come in and I worked a swap with him. I am super stoked and cant wait to shoot it. I really hope it spits out the cast as well as the old one. I am actually a little worried about it. The chambers and forcing cone were perfect in the old one. Too late now. Still excited though. Side note, my old piece has doubled in value since I bought it. Amazing.

Certaindeaf
01-19-2015, 11:22 PM
Cool. Let us know how she shoots. I much prefer the 4 5/8" myself.
Did love my Stainless Old Army though.. that thing would shoot!

DougGuy
01-20-2015, 07:37 AM
Cylinder throats/forcing cone are no problem at all! Would be glad to help you out if necessary!

pull the trigger
01-20-2015, 09:40 PM
Cylinder throats/forcing cone are no problem at all! Would be glad to help you out if necessary!
Thanks for the offer. Time is always my biggest problem.

DuckHunterJon
01-29-2015, 10:40 PM
I have 7 Blackhawks (Hi, my name is Jon, and I'm a Blackhawkaholic...). When I first started collecting, I followed my father's wisdom, and bought longer barreled ones as they would be more accurate. Then a deal came along on a 45 convertible with the 4 5/8 bbl. Guess which is by far my most accurate one - yep, the 45 in either ACP or LC. Congrats on the trade!

nagantguy
01-29-2015, 10:44 PM
That is my favorite size as well, actually gonna have a longer barrel one cut down to that size. Easy to carry feels good in the hand and just as accurate as long ones at least as well or poorly as I can shoot

contender1
01-29-2015, 11:54 PM
I would have kept the first one & just added to the stable.
Good luck with this one & let us know how it performs.

DuckHunterJon,,, you aren't even close. I have more than 7 Blackhawks, in just one caliber, and I own several calibers.

Dennis Eugene
01-30-2015, 12:45 AM
Shucks now I'm going to have to go count mine.

pull the trigger
01-30-2015, 06:28 AM
If I was close to having the funds I would have just added, but i wasnt even close and wouldnt be for quite a while so I had to trade up. Believe me, I dont get rid of guns if there is anyway around it. When I swapped I was still making payments on a marlin 93 in 30-30. I didnt want to press my luck.

Lloyd Smale
01-30-2015, 07:34 AM
you bought what ive allways considered my favorite trail gun. Ive modified the one I have no a bit. Its a stainless gun that I swapped the stainless grip frame and ejector rod housing out for an aluminum one and scalloped the recoil shield and loading gate, slicked the action up, put a bowen rear sight and a clements front sight on it sanded off the warning bead blasted the whole gun to match and put a set of white micartas on it that my buddy scrimshawed elmer keith on one side and my choc. lab elmer keith on the other. Its the gun that goes with me as much as all the others combined. I love the 4 5/8s blackhawks and this one is special because I did all the work except the scrimshaw and scalloping and my friends did that. So I have very little into it.

ballistim
01-30-2015, 08:04 AM
you bought what ive allways considered my favorite trail gun. Ive modified the one I have no a bit. Its a stainless gun that I swapped the stainless grip frame and ejector rod housing out for an aluminum one and scalloped the recoil shield and loading gate, slicked the action up, put a bowen rear sight and a clements front sight on it sanded off the warning bead blasted the whole gun to match and put a set of white micartas on it that my buddy scrimshawed elmer keith on one side and my choc. lab elmer keith on the other. Its the gun that goes with me as much as all the others combined. I love the 4 5/8s blackhawks and this one is special because I did all the work except the scrimshaw and scalloping and my friends did that. So I have very little into it.

How about a picture of it? It sounds great.

kevmc
01-30-2015, 10:09 AM
How about a picture of it? It sounds great.

X2!!!!!!!!:popcorn:

Shuz
01-30-2015, 11:51 AM
x3!!!

contender1
01-30-2015, 12:00 PM
I have an OM Ruger Super that somebody cut back to a shorty, and it originally came with a factory brass grip frame. (No, it wasn't shipped that way, as the gun was built long before they offered the brass.)
It shoots like a dream! I removed the brass, & added a Bisley grip frame to it. A SWEET package.

Now Dennis, go count yours & we'll see how we go. In the Ruger OM 44 mags alone, I only have 11 of them. Then in the 44 mag NM's only 7 of them. We won't get into other calibers.
Yes, I have a big case of Rugeritis!

pull the trigger
01-30-2015, 12:31 PM
Yeah Lloyd lets see that thing

DougGuy
01-30-2015, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the offer. Time is always my biggest problem.

Real quick turnaround too.

Gray Fox
01-30-2015, 01:40 PM
I traded for a 4 5/8" SBH blued model with the factory steel BH frame and triggerguard. It is a handful with anything approaching full loads, so I load something like 8.0 of 231 under a 240 SWC. I do like the weight and balance of it for a woods walking carry gun. GF

jonp
01-30-2015, 07:15 PM
x5:popcorn:

I've had most of the BH's at one time or another and the short barreled ones are always my favorite.

Lloyd Smale
01-31-2015, 08:02 AM

looked a bit better when I first did it. MANY of thousands of rounds on it now.

pull the trigger
01-31-2015, 08:32 AM
That thing looks great. Can you see where the warning was or does it blend right in?

Lloyd Smale
01-31-2015, 08:38 AM
That thing looks great. Can you see where the warning was or does it blend right in? if you really get nit picky and look real hard you can see where it was but if you didn't know it was there to begin with youd never notice its dished out at all. I think the bead blasting tends to hide it real well. Cant tell with the angle of the picture but the hammer and trigger were machine turned too.

Lloyd Smale
01-31-2015, 08:47 AM
cool thing is I have basically nothing but the cost of the gun into this other then 50 bucks for used bowen rear sight and 35 for the clements front post but those both came off of guns I was selling at the time so the money was spent years before. My neighbor did the scalloping on his mill and had the blasting cabinet so that was free. the scrimshaw was done by another friend and the action work by another friend who also donated a belt mountain pin to the project he had laying around. the grip frame and ejector housing I already had in the spare parts drawer. It aint a bowen or clements custom but it is a cool lightweight 44 mag that's accurate, light enough to carry all day and I don't have so much into it that it cant be road hard and put away wet. Its accounted for deer, blackbear, hogs and even a 1100 lb cow buffalo and lots of small game. Ive got quite a few real customs but if push come to shove this would be the last handgun leaving this house.

Lloyd Smale
01-31-2015, 08:56 AM
ive got another kind of cool 4 5/8s super. It was one of the new model 6.5 in flattops. Dustin linebaugh put a match grade 4 5/8s barrel with a clements style post front sight on it. Buddy did the action and it wears a set of elk stags. Don't carry it near as much though as its blued and wouldn't take the beating the stainless gun would and still look good and it is heavier enough that you can tell. Sorry I don't have a picture of that one and the cameras busted.

Lloyd Smale
01-31-2015, 09:01 AM
found one I already had

Shuz
01-31-2015, 10:39 AM
Nice pieces, Lloyd, thanks for sharing with us!

Petrol & Powder
01-31-2015, 11:05 AM
I have 7 Blackhawks (Hi, my name is Jon, and I'm a Blackhawkaholic...). ..........
Although I'm not into single actions I do have a similar problem with DA revolvers. I found that if you don't count them you can remain happily in denial for decades.

DuckHunterJon
01-31-2015, 11:19 AM
Yep, another key is to collect enough that the Mrs. doesn't notice new additions!

contender1
01-31-2015, 11:33 AM
"Yep, another key is to collect enough that the Mrs. doesn't notice new additions!"

I learned a long time ago to train the Mrs. to this train of thought; "Honey, I'm working on your inheritance!" Besides she enjoys shooting too so I have no issues out of her. In fact, she keeps saying; "Keep buying a few, as my inheritance isn't big enough yet." Or, "That collection isn't big enough for me to kill you yet!"

DuckHunterJon
01-31-2015, 01:52 PM
Mine enjoys shooting as well, and in truth, doesn't really mind my collection. But she will bring it up once in a while when I do something stupid and question one of her purchases. That's when I just smile and say "you're right dear!"

dubber123
01-31-2015, 04:22 PM
I'm not sure how noticeable it would be on a high gloss blued gun, but I removed the warning on my brothers 5.5" BH and did a satin finish bead blast and then hot blued it. I'm not sure you could tell it was ever there. Makes the guns look so much better.

pull the trigger
01-31-2015, 04:40 PM
I'm not sure how noticeable it would be on a high gloss blued gun, but I removed the warning on my brothers 5.5" BH and did a satin finish bead blast and then hot blued it. I'm not sure you could tell it was ever there. Makes the guns look so much better.
Picture is worth a thousand words?

dubber123
01-31-2015, 10:53 PM
Picture is worth a thousand words?

An arduous process for the technically inept. I'll see if I can get one into Photobucket.

pull the trigger
02-10-2015, 10:52 PM
Well I finally fired it. Shes a handful. I shot it with gloves on and I ould barely fit my finger in the trigger guard. Takes a second hand to hold on to it with the slippery gloves. Sure shoots nice tho. Glad I swapped for it.

Certaindeaf
02-11-2015, 04:29 PM
Well I finally fired it. Shes a handful. I shot it with gloves on and I ould barely fit my finger in the trigger guard. Takes a second hand to hold on to it with the slippery gloves. Sure shoots nice tho. Glad I swapped for it.
Very good. Why do you shoot that with any sort of gloves on, especially when they are problematic?
Oh, and what caliber? I don't think you said. .22lr?

pull the trigger
02-11-2015, 06:21 PM
Gloves for the 4 degrees F and its a 44 mag. I wasnt really shooting for groups, more just fun-ction. And it was fun and worked fine!

Brad Phillips
02-11-2015, 09:12 PM
I have a 4 5/8" Super myself, cut down by a previous owner. Mine is blued, and the warning does stick out like a sore thumb. Good shooter though and something I will not sell.

Airman Basic
02-11-2015, 11:28 PM
Got one of the newer 45s with the warning on the bottom of the barrel. Nice, and hides it pretty well.

W.R.Buchanan
02-13-2015, 05:41 PM
I had my SBH Bisley cut down to 5" added a Weigand Front Sight and a Bowen Rear, bead blasted and Reblued.

It cost me about $300 to have all that done.. Well worth it as the gun shoots much better now.

I used to be a big proponent of long barrel revolvers, I have since figured out that there is little advantage in a few extra inches of barrel length,,, and a whole lot of advantage in handling and when carrying the shorter gun. The shorter gun is just a better option.

Randy

wquiles
02-13-2015, 11:04 PM
I have had a 7 1/2" stainless SBH for years now and it shoots fantastic. But I have always wanted a short barrel SBH. My LGS finally had one come in and I worked a swap with him. I am super stoked and cant wait to shoot it. I really hope it spits out the cast as well as the old one. I am actually a little worried about it. The chambers and forcing cone were perfect in the old one. Too late now. Still excited though. Side note, my old piece has doubled in value since I bought it. Amazing.

Same thing I had, but I actually cut mine, installed a new front sight, and fitted a Bisley frame on mine:
http://m3coupe.com/Firearms/Ruger/custom44/20140727_161654.jpg

And you in fact do great work!. Happy customer over here, as my 44Mag has never shot as well until you worked your magic on it :bigsmyl2:

Will