PDA

View Full Version : Help with Ideal #6 duplex powder measure

omgb
01-19-2015, 08:18 PM
I snagged one of these today and now I want to know if anyone has any instructions for its use from any of the old Ideal catalogs or books. Specifically, I need to know how this measure makes sure the smokeless in tossed first and then the black. Any takers?

omgb
01-19-2015, 11:33 PM
Hmm, no takers?

Bent Ramrod
01-20-2015, 05:10 PM
You might try the ASSRA Forum or the ARTCA Forum. The Schuetzen guys use them and a collector might have a copy of the instructions.

ascast
01-23-2015, 12:44 AM
yeah, let me get back in a day or so I have 2

Pressman
01-23-2015, 08:00 AM
I posted a PDF of the instructions on the ARTCA board.

Ken

ascast
01-23-2015, 01:16 PM
HI again,
The one I am looking at works like this
1st position - pull handle all the way forward ( down) this charge the smokeless (priming charge) while dumping the main charge
2nd - all the way back ( up) charges main charge while dumping the priming charge
then just up and down for each case.
I would short stroke it until I got the charges set. BE CAREFULL
Once you get it set, measure the setting with your depth gauge on your calipers.
hope that helps
dave

M-Tecs
01-23-2015, 01:22 PM
Can't help with the instructions but you are a lucky man. I have been looking for one for awhile. On the realistic priced ones I am always too late on and the unrealistic priced ones never sell or change price.

M-Tecs
01-23-2015, 01:25 PM
http://www.antiquereloadingtools.com/forum/

M-Tecs
02-12-2015, 06:53 PM
omgb and I worked a deal on this. Just came today. It looks great. It's in better shape than expect but after a little cleaning and some minor restoration it will be like new. Thanks.

Green Frog
02-13-2015, 11:51 AM
I don't have the written instructions, just have them in my head. I would quickly make one caution, though. If you remove the main handle be careful to not lose the tiny plunger and spring that gives the ability to tell where you are in the delivery of first one chamber then the other. Don't ask me how I know how easily this is lost! :(

I've owned one for over 10 years as part of my collection, but I have to confess it never gets used. My go-to measures are a couple of old #5 micrometer examples. For one thing, they really measure IMR 4759 better than anything else I have found. If I ever go to long range type BP events, I can see where my #6 might get dusted off and used; that's when it really shines.

Froggie

M-Tecs
02-13-2015, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Already did a preliminary disassemble. It's in excellent shape only a couple of very minor issues. The two screws on the smokeless side are not original and the normal tarnish issues. I will replace the screws with something more original and it will get a good cleaning followed by a Renaissance Micro-Crystalline wax before it sees service again. I have one #5 micrometer and one #5 standard also.

Green Frog
02-17-2015, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Already did a preliminary disassemble. It's in excellent shape only a couple of very minor issues. The two screws on the smokeless side are not original and the normal tarnish issues. I will replace the screws with something more original and it will get a good cleaning followed by a Renaissance Micro-Crystalline wax before it sees service again. I have one #5 micrometer and one #5 standard also.

That's the whole range of them, unless you want to go for the different marks for New Haven vs Middlefield. Actually, I think I recall hearing that only the regular #5 came in both variations. BTW, they really do work very well for what they do, don't they? I find the #5 and #5 M uniquely suited to the jobs I've assigned to them.

Regards,
Froggie

M-Tecs
02-18-2015, 12:34 AM
Not collecting them. Just using them. I am looking forward to using the no. 6. Both the no. 5 work very well with BP and 4759. I haven't tried them with anything else.