PDA

View Full Version : Tractor Printer Paper

Keith
01-19-2015, 06:48 PM
I am just starting in Paper Patching and have been lurking and reading for some time now, finding most of what I need.
Here in OZ paper is hard to find it seems, but I remember a mention of this printer paper that has holes along each side to feed it.
I found some the right thickness but it comes in a double layer and one seems to be a carbon copy sheet.
Do people use both sheets to patch with or just the non carbon one.
It seems quite strong when wet but I have not used it yet.
I still have a part pad of old air mail writing paper that is .0015" the same as the printer paper.

Keith

BrentD
01-21-2015, 09:24 AM
I think the computer printer paper is way too thick. I prefer paper that provides thickness that is about as much, or slightly less than the depth of the grooves of the rifling. Thinner paper is more likely to be sliced completely through this way. That airmail paper is probably good stuff, and I would start there. Of course, paper thickness also affects fit of the bullet to the bore and you want that to be "just snug" if you are after a target bullet.

Finding paper these days is tough, but Staedler (might have misspelled that slightly) makes some tracing paper that is 8 lb weight and it works very well. You can probably find pretty easily. I have bought quite a few different tracing papers in roll form from Amazon.com. Just search for tracing paper.

montana_charlie
01-21-2015, 01:57 PM
Do people use both sheets to patch with or just the non carbon one.
The original 'manifolds' had separate layers of printable paper and carbon paper. When disassembled, the carbon paper was thrown away and the 'copies' were filed as intended.

Your stuff, where the carbon is actually on the top copy, is the more modern iteration of the 'tractor-fed manifold'.

If the carbon doesn't cause you problems from smearing or dirtying your hands, that top copy should be as usable as the non-coated one.

CM

Don McDowell
01-21-2015, 03:53 PM
Do you have Staples stores down under? They have a rolled 8 lb paper that is very similar to the Seth Cole 8# paper that works so well.
There's also this stuff, I don't know if you can get it there or not http://www.utrechtart.com/Utrecht-Tracing-Paper-Roll--8-0-lb---White-26-MP-10530-002-i1008939.utrecht

Best thing to do with the paper you have is try it, it'll work or it won't.

Keith
01-21-2015, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the replies.
The printer paper is only .0015 or .002 depending how hard I press the caliper. You cant see its carbon until you scratch on it . I am not sure which page was which as he just tore me off a sample. I will go back and look again.
That link to Utrecht says they ship to Oz so if all else fails I can try that. Suppliers here don't use pounds as in 8lb etc, they have some metric system which is confusing so I just take my calipers along.

Keith

pdgh59
01-22-2015, 04:48 AM
Try the 40gsm pads from Lincraft.

BrentD
01-22-2015, 09:36 AM
Fit to your bore is the most important issue. If it fits, it will fly.

BAGTIC
01-22-2015, 09:29 PM
If you can not see the carbon until you scratch it you may have carbon-less paper. One of the sheets is treated with a chemical that turns dark when subjected to pressure. There is no pigment transfer from one sheet to another. That is what my old dot matrix wide carriage printer uses. There is no carbon sheet to be stripped away.

Four Fingers of Death
01-23-2015, 09:31 AM
I have been along to most paper and stationery shops that I have seen in Australia and when I ask about different weights of paper, onion paper, etc they look at me like I'm speaking ancient Greek. They all seem to sell standard computer paper and nothing else.

BrentD
01-23-2015, 09:34 AM
Somewhere you should be able to find this down under

http://www.amazon.com/Sketch-Paper-Roll-White-Inch/dp/B00016XMJE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1422020010&sr=8-4&keywords=tracing+paper+Staedtler

Gunlaker
01-23-2015, 11:18 AM
I've never found good patching paper on the shelves in Canada either, but the Internet has plenty in stock :-). I've been using 8lb Seth Cole which I've found on eBay and Amazon.

Chris.

bigted
01-24-2015, 01:10 PM
http://www.draftingsuppliesdew.com/seth-cole-tracing-paper-rolls

Four Fingers of Death
01-24-2015, 02:13 PM
I jever thought of EBay, etc, as obvious as it is, D'Oh! Thanks for the link.

BrentD
01-25-2015, 08:54 PM
On ebay the best search words seem to be "onion skin". On Amazon, I have had great luck with the words "tracing paper"

Keith
01-26-2015, 04:30 AM
Try the 40gsm pads from Lincraft.

Good call I did not think of them. There is one in Gympie.
All the tracing paper I look at looks to be like plastic and not paper at all.
Anyway , some good links to follow.
Thanks.

Keith

eljefeoz
01-28-2015, 02:10 AM
I have been along to most paper and stationery shops that I have seen in Australia and when I ask about different weights of paper, onion paper, etc they look at me like I'm speaking ancient Greek. They all seem to sell standard computer paper and nothing else.

I agree with that
I was using Coles blue line notebook paper, sized to .285" for my 7x57 using RCBS 145 SIL.
It did 2" at 100Y
Lincraft is your friend.40-50GSM tracing/Banknote paper
I dont know how much Gympie has changed, any art supply shop come up? I used to be in the bay years ago...
Cheers