PDA

View Full Version : Single Press Die Support

mullthing
01-19-2015, 01:44 PM
I recently moved a RCBS single press die to a new location. I stuck a couple cases in the die recently at this new location. Very, very rarely ended up with stuck cases at old press location. Upon closer inspection it seems my press is not properly supported and as a result I believe the cases are getting stuck because the press is moving a little and the brass moves in the holder and then I get a stuck case.

What kind of support (wood, metal, etc.) do you recommend under a single stage press? I've got 2 OSB boards under the press and I do not believe this will work for me.

Thanks.

mdi
01-19-2015, 02:32 PM
My single stag presses are secured to a 1x6 with 5/16" bolts and the 1x6 is bolted to the bench top. I have some holes drilled in the bench top and flange nuts on the under side of the 2 1/2" thick bench top. I use 4" bolts with fender washers and bolt the press to the bench, but can very easily remove it. I have several tools that can be swapped out using this method...

I believe a press would have to move quite a bit to cause cases sticking in a sizing die, if that were the cause. Are you sure nothing else changed? Did you ferget case lube?

country gent
01-19-2015, 02:58 PM
My bench is built very solid 4x4 legs 2x6 cross supports both glued and screwd in place top and about 8" from floor. 1/2" ply wood at to places between for drawers, top is 2x4s on edge inside of 2x6 frame on 6" centers. All joints are glued and screwed together on the complete bench. The top is 1 cdx plywood, screwed and glued down to 2x6 2x4 frame. Bench is 30 " deep and 6' long. This is a very solid stable bench. Also very heavy and was built in the loading room as it wont fit thruthe door easily. Its isnt just the thickness of the top but the support given thru frame work and "joists / cross beams" its attached to. Making the top with a series of 2X4s on center across the bench adds alot of stiffness and support to the bench top even if its only 1/2" thick. Lay out the screw pattern on the top drill the holes rough sand frame and bottom of bench top for a good glue surface. Use a good glue Gorrilla wood glue is good. Spread glue on dampened frame and place top on lightly and evenl swirl a little to spread glue and work out air bubbles. Start screwing down with long wood screws 2-2 1/2" long lubricate with wood glue when screwing in. Do 4 corners one end tight other end loose but there to maintain alighnment. Work from tight end front to back a screw every 6? and each row staggered 1/2 spacing length. Besure to get heads below surface. Clean run out up and let cure good. Sand top to finish. The draw back to this type of top is that you need very long bolts to mount with 5-6" at least, depending on equipment. On the plus side it is very rigid and solid. The more supports and cross braces used the better.

mullthing
01-19-2015, 04:08 PM
Plenty of case lube. I stuck 2 cases in dies recently. And, I had not stuck a case for many, many years and the only factor I'm aware of is the press was moved.

onegunred
01-19-2015, 05:05 PM
OSB is not a very strong piece of wood. 2 pieces = less than 1". I would lay a piece of 2X6X2' under it flat bolted or screwed to some supports. I have 3 pieces of 3/4" glued and screwed as my bench top. I don't think that the mounting is your problem it may be something else.

TheDoctor
01-19-2015, 05:29 PM
I have a rockchucker mounted to a portable workbench with two C clamps, and have not had a stuck case. I use it for coated bullet sizing, rifle brass sizing up to 338 magnum, and push through bulge busting. I would look elsewhere for the problem also.