PDA

View Full Version : ? on Lyman "2 step expander die" for 45 Colt

bedbugbilly
01-19-2015, 01:05 PM
I'm looking at dies to get for reloading 45 Colt (Long - yes I know - not a proper reference :-) ). What Lyman dies I have are the older A-A dies in other calibers. In looking at used and new sets - they talk about the Lyman "expander die" as having a "two step" expander plug. My question is - how is this expanding stem designed? As an example - first step .452 and second step .454 or is it like my "M die" for my 8mm where it expands and then makes a second "stepped" (not really belled) expansion so an oversize lead bullet can be easily seated? Or . . does the two step expander stem on the 45 Colt die act as both a full expander in two different sizes or a "M die" "step"?

Anyone using the Lyman expander die with the two step expander for loading cast 45 Colt? You experiences or observations?

Hoping to find a good used set but cannot decide between the RCBS and the Lyman set. I'll be shooting "as cast" if I can (don't have my mold yet) but am figuring out of a Lee mold, they'll probably drop somewhere between .452 and .454 and don't know if I'll need to get a custom expander plug or not for either brand? Not going to be loading great amounts so I can easily go with a steel sizing / depriving die but am wondering about any problems with an expander stem?

Thanks for any help - greatly appreciate.

bedbugbilly
01-19-2015, 05:00 PM
Please disregard - I'm used to the older vintage AA dies and of the several I have, the expander die is a "one size" expander. After hunting through Lyman's site - I found that the two step expander is indeed considered an "M die" in these pistol sets and are supposed to work equally well on jacketed, plated and cast boolits.