PDA

View Full Version : H&R Buffalo Classic + AA5744 + Lee 458-500-3R Loads

1winnen
01-19-2015, 12:08 PM
Hi all. Just got a new H&C BC and I'm Looking for some load data using AA5744 and Lee 458-500-3R cast boolits. Intended use would be hunting AND long range, 500yds, target shooting. I'm also interested if anyone might know what the Max. pressure a H&R BC might be. Someone else suggested that I stay within Trapdoor pressures. Looking forward to your suggestions. Thanks.

ballistim
01-19-2015, 12:13 PM
Hi all. Just got a new H&C BC and I'm Looking for some load data using AA5744 and Lee 458-500-3R cast boolits. Intended use would be hunting AND long range, 500yds, target shooting. I'm also interested if anyone might know what the Max. pressure a H&R BC might be. Someone else suggested that I stay within Trapdoor pressures. Looking forward to your suggestions. Thanks.

I really like my H&R BC & have had good results using the Lee 457-405-F single cavity mold that I bought used a few years ago, it drops boolits at .459 so I'm not sure if the previous owner opened it up a bit but casts well & shoots great. I'm using a duplex load with surplus WC-872.

Larry Gibson
01-19-2015, 12:39 PM
AA5744 is a good powder with 500 gr cast in the 45-70. Lyman gives 28 gr as a max load while keeping within the trapdoor SAAMI MAP. I find AA5744 works even better giving very consistent velocities and pressures (I measure them) when a Dacron filler is used. I suggest quality cast bullets of 20-1, 16-1 or COWWs + 2% tin alloy loaded over 25 - 28 gr AA5744 with a 1 to 1 1/2 gr Dacron filler. I've found the best accuracy to be in the 1150 - 1250 fps range.

Larry Gibson

1winnen
01-19-2015, 01:01 PM
Thanks Larry that's kind of what I was also given by someone else. He also did suggested a .030 wad plus a .005 paper wad behind the boolit. Just curious. Do you know IF a new H&R BC will take high pressure such as Marlin Lever actions. Also do you happen to know anyone with the casting equipment, experience and time who would be willing to cast boolits for me provided I supplied the mold, lead and paid for any shipping? I'd like to cast myself but I honestly don't think I have a place with adequate ventilation.

JimP.
01-19-2015, 09:04 PM
my load is 25 grs of AA5744 with the case filled up with puff-lon filler to the case mouth and a 500 gr cast bullet seated to compress the puff-lon and taper crimp to take out the bell on the case mouth. i size the 500 gr bullets to .459, lube and also coat with Lee Liquid Alox. Works for me. JimP.

cajun shooter
01-20-2015, 11:49 AM
1winnen, You don't have to have any elaborate set up to cast. You don't need a lab type set up nor do you need to cast in a protective suit with a respirator. I don't see a location by your name so I'll have to skip any suggestions about what you need to fit you. But having said that, you can cast your own bullets with a single burner source, like a outdoor fish fryer or Coleman stove. You only need a small metal pot, a good ladle and some 1-20 lead which is easy to purchase. You then can learn to pan lube which is the best for large bullets any way.
I've been casting for over 45 years and I still ladle pour and pan lube my large 45-70 bullets. You end up with a much better product.
In the mean time you may purchase some bullets from Buffalo Arms , Sagebrush Outfitters and others if you do a search. The bullets they make are top drawer and will do very well in your BC rifle. My gun prefers the 535 grain bullet ahead of a case of Swiss 1 1/2 F powder.
I see that you prefer to shoot smokeless but one day, you should try the Dark Side.
The H&R rifle is a very well made gun(I've owned two) but it is not intended to be used with jet powered loads. The action will hold up but the shooter will have problems long before the rifle gives up because of it's 7 1/2 weight. The rifles that are loaded with the heavy weight bullets and shoot the long ranges are over 13 lbs in weight. Some are in the 20 lb range.
I think you will find that your rifle will give you much pleasure shooting bullets that are in the lighter weights and lower FPS ranges. You may install a recoil reducer but why push the rifle past it's intended use. It was made to meet the many states requirements for antique weapons hunting of deer.
Don't make the mistake of many shooters in seeing how fast you can make a bullet leave the barrel but concentrate on the most accurate load. Very seldom does the fastest load also make the most accurate load list. Best of luck, David

44man
01-20-2015, 04:22 PM
Many BPCR shooters took on that boolit but found nose slump if too soft. I did not get super accuracy with it.
The problem is the nose design NEEDS soft for hunting.