PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to store swaging dies & punches?

pertnear
01-19-2015, 11:33 AM
I'm new to swaging & I just received my RCE Sea Girt press/punch holder & RF jacket maker & .224 die/punch set. So far I've been very impressed with all the equipment. The only thing I'm slightly disappointed in is how the smaller stuff was packaged (just rolled in newspaper for shipping). I would gladly have paid a few more bucks & had nice storage boxes for these expensive dies.

What do the experienced swagers use & how do you treat your stuff? Should I just buy some RCBS die boxes from Midway & call it a day? Keep a oily rag in a jar & wipe stuff down when I put it away? Sorry if this is a real newbie question but this is EXPENSIVE stuff, at least to me.

TIA

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
01-19-2015, 11:38 AM
I just keep mine is the standard die boxes that came with them. Yes, RCBS die boxes will work great. I like to keep my dies and punches clean and lightly oiled. Before use, I wipe them down and out with a soft cotton cloth. After use, a light cleaning (to get any excess swage lube or crud buildup) and light coat of oil until next use. If you do this your dies will be protected indefinitely and last a LONG time. Basically, treat them like a gun.

xman777
01-19-2015, 01:38 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001Q8IL42/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A30DGGRQPDAP9Y

I use these. I also clean and oil then after each use.

midnight
01-19-2015, 01:48 PM
Midway sells empty red Hornady die boxes. I label them and store all my swage die sets in them. They are much larger than the usual die box and will hold four dies and all their punches. You can even fit a couple of "H" dies in one of them. Here is a link: http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/154/154430.jpg

Bob

wonderwolf
01-19-2015, 04:23 PM
I have that MTM die box linked above, with top, middle and bottom punches 1 complete caliber almost takes up a whole box but it works well. Currently I have my home made set of .375 H&H dies in that box. When I got my stuff from corbin I too was a little disappointed at the storage options but now I keep them in padded plastic boxes in a 50 cal can. Soon I'll have to get more cans out as I've added more dies to the family.

tiger762
01-19-2015, 05:23 PM
RCECO dies in Lee red/round die holders. Punches standing up in an MTM slip-top plastic ammo case. My large reloading dies (50BMG, 20mm Vulcan) in individual plastic Pringles tubs.

pertnear
01-20-2015, 12:41 PM
Thanks guys - great suggestions & links.

blltsmth
01-26-2015, 01:29 AM
If you would like to store more than one set in a box, go to Wally-World and pick up one of the many chambered plastic units they make for fishing lures. They run $3.99 to $4.99 on sale and don't crack if dropped. I store several of my die sets on my bench and currently have 4 full and labelled. Sure beats looking through a lot of smaller boxes especially if you haven't labeled them. Just my 2 cents!!

mosby's men
02-03-2015, 11:50 AM
lot's of humidity here , put them in plastic die boxes and store in ammo cans

yruiz
02-08-2015, 01:55 PM
I use the plastic fishing lure boxes as well. As long as I am using them on a regular basis, they keep a nice layer of swaging lube on the interior surfaces which protects the dies while waiting for the next use.

BT Sniper
02-09-2015, 03:01 AM
http://mobile.walmart.com/#ip/17126450

Stores 4 of my dies on one side with each corresponding base punch on the other. Water proof! I assume airtight seal and through in a silica jel packet just to be sure. Good to go!

midnight
02-09-2015, 07:16 AM
The boxes Brian describes are really good. I don't use them for my dies because I've got so many now in the Hornady boxes but I do use them to store and organize all the socket head cap screws and set screws. Between inch and metric there are many dozens of different sizes. I buy a couple boxes of 100 along with each order to a machine shop supplier. The only ones you can't usually get are 8-40 screws. Those come from Stratton.

Bob

Many drill bushings for draw dies are organized in them too.