PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Safari Club Convention

TXGunNut
01-19-2015, 12:48 AM
Spent a few hours at the DSC show today, have been meaning to go the last few years. Awesome show! Got to visit awhile with Doug Turnbull and his sales manager and a few outfitters I hope to do business with someday. Awesome show if you don't mind trekking to downtown Dallas and paying the $20 admission fee. Not much of a crowd, all the vendors had plenty of time to visit and show off their stuff. I'm looking forward to next year, I and my running buddy need to get in better shape so we can cover the whole thing.
Turnbull is going to introduce a CCH Commander this year, I'm thinking I need to put my name on one. I handled a few of their 1911's today, they were pretty awesome pistols. They had "Wild Bunch" and carry guns, can't recall seeing better machine work.
Doug seemed pretty pleased that he's a popular subject around here. If you're going to the SHOT show next week be sure and drop by his booth. You won't be disappointed.

MtGun44
01-19-2015, 01:58 AM
Turnbull guns have to be seen to be believed.

He brought a bunch of rifles to the Mo Valley Arms Collector show about 15 years ago or so, when
I (and most other folks) had never heard of him. I was walking along, looking at tables as usual,
and spotted this INCREDIBLY beautiful Win 92, with color cased frame. It was just perfect. It was
absolutely obvious that it was NEW, but it was equally obvious that it was an original Win 92.. . . . .
how is this possible?

I was staring at it closely for at least a minute and finally, I looked up into the face of
a bespectacled man looking right at me. I asked, kind of foolishly, "What is it?", and he replied
"A Winchester 92.", I said, "Well, of course, but is it a replica or what?" "I restored it." and he
literally beamed. I stared at him and then spent several more minutes looking over the rifle
without touching, and finally said - a bit more intelligently, "You already know this, but wow, this
is absolutely incredibly beautiful work!" -- He smiled and thanked me, and I spent more time
looking at his other sample guns as he just beamed.

I will repeat. You cannot really know how beautiful the work is unless you see it in person. Pictures
just cannot fully capture the quality.

Bill

TXGunNut
01-19-2015, 02:07 AM
Better yet, Doug is a humble and personable man. Security stopped my buddy from entering with the rifle he wanted Doug to look at. I went to the Turnbull booth, introduced myself to Doug, and he came to the front door to meet my friend without hesitating.
Doug advised against restoring the rifle, BTW. Said it was too nice a gun.