PDA

View Full Version : 6 or 8 crimp?

Bob Krack
02-24-2008, 02:37 PM
With no experience loading shotshells, I ask which is better - 6 segment crimp or 8?

Any reason why?

Any reason why (or not) to change a 6 to 8 or vice-versa?

I've loaded just a few 12 ga 2-3/4 inchers using 18 grains of Red Dot and 10 .311 round balls (just a hair over 1 oz). Shoot very well, comfortable recoil level, intended for short range only.

Thanks,

Vic

Scrounger
02-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Unless you're loading new cases that have never been fired before, you really have no choice. The case will close back into whatever number of segments it was crimped into the first time. No problem, just use whatever crimp starter you have, it will all work out.

Oh, you asked why. Traditionally hunting loads come with 6 star crimp, trap and skeet with eight. I have no idea why...

BCB
02-24-2008, 03:53 PM
Many years ago when I was loading AA's, I always prefered the 8-point crimp. I always thought a got a better and much neater crimp with it rather than a 6-point crimp. Probably just my imagination...BCB

Bullshop Junior
02-25-2008, 08:25 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/P1010066.jpg
Left to right-In the midle.
8 point crimp.
8 point crimped in 6 point start
6 point crimped in 8 point start
6 point crimp.
As for what is better, I like the six, but other people I know like the eight. They are about the same, but the 6 does form easier for me. The six seems to close tighter also, but that my just be me. The 6 crimped in 8 is also bulged.
BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.

johnly
02-26-2008, 12:53 AM
I'll take 8 point for 12 through 20 gauge any day of the week.

John

rmb721
02-26-2008, 02:24 PM
I would much sooner load 8-point crimped shells.

oso
02-26-2008, 03:35 PM
Paper cases use 6 point crimp. Plastic cases crimp 6 or 8 points depend on the plastic's memory rather than the crimp starter, but you can confuse the plastic so I index the case with the appropriate crimp starter. Some starters float and indexing isn't necessary.

Bullshop junior x2
02-26-2008, 04:25 PM
I prefer the 8, it seems to form more uniform and hold a tighter crimp.
BIC/BS X2

chrisx1
02-28-2008, 12:02 AM
As long as all the shot stays inside the hull, does it matter?

I just sort my hulls by brand, style, and crimp, then use the appropriate starter. I have not found any indication that one type of crimp shoots better patterns or lasts longer than another.

Bob Krack
02-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Good answers, my personal experience seems to indicate that changing crimps results in ugly and/or loose crimps. 8 segment is giving me the most uniform performance.

A new problem is appearing.... 10 .311 round balls is sometimes too much volume in the case and 9 is sometimes not enough. Seems sprue cut orientation affects the highth of the lead column.

Whatcha think if I add a small amount of filler to adjust the volume?

Coffee grounds, oatmeal, corn meal? Used coffee grounds comes pretty inexpensively around here...

Vic

Scrounger
02-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Seems to me I posted at the very beginning of this thread that you have little or no choice in the matter. The case, if it is a previously fired case, will automatically refold into the same crimp it had before. Changing it is not possible, really; you can mess it up and make it ineffective, but you cannot really change it and have it work. Give that windmill Hell!

oso
02-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Fillers will raise pressures unless part of a known recipe. (I wouldn't use any of the filers you mentioned due to caking potential and friction considerations.) What is the wad column part of your recipe?

sundog
02-28-2008, 02:21 PM
VI, you're loading larger round balls - buck.

I use Fiochi clear (translucent actually - blondes' favorite color, btw) shells to load buck. The #0 per layer of three layers. the middle layer is offset 120d from the other two, staggered if you will. That shell gets a 6-crimp as every other fold fits between two balls. I also load 12 #2 four to a layer each layer offset 90d. It gets the 8-crimp. The clear shells make it real easy to see what's loaded. I've loaded with and without buffers, but it seems to make no difference. I like your used coffee grounds idea.

Bob Krack
02-28-2008, 03:57 PM
Fillers will raise pressures unless part of a known recipe. (I wouldn't use any of the filers you mentioned due to caking potential and friction considerations.) What is the wad column part of your recipe?

The wad I am using is the WT12 1-1/8 oz.

Not being argumentative, but I find it hard to believe that the amount or filler in the shot column weighs more than the 45 grain ball I would be elimenating would raise the pressure? I will check the weight though to try to stay on the safe side.

The w-mart cheapo FC bird loads sometimes show slightly flattened primers and extraction problems in my sons Remington 870 express.

Work fine in my Mossberg though (still shows primer flattening). My load shows less recoil, less muzzle blast and less case and primer deformation in the 870. No primer flattening at all.

I am not - repeat - NOT looking for a hotter load. The 18 grains of Red Dot is very comfortable with either 9 .311 balls or 10 (cast from water cooled straight Wheel Weights.

Vic

oso
02-28-2008, 04:48 PM
It's not the weight of the filler but the friction against the hull walls. If you ever shoot the front of the hull out with the load you'll know why I mentioned it. Granulated polyethylene is a consideration but I use 20 ga nitro card wads under the shot or an over shot wad for filler with a plastic wad, or change wads or rebuild my wad column.