PDA

View Full Version : Fair Price for Winchester 94 30-30 made in 1975

milrifle
01-18-2015, 10:03 PM
My wife had a hankering for a lever gun. My son sent her home with one today to see if she liked it. It is a Win 94 in 30-30. The serial number dates it as made in 1975. It has very little finish left on the receiver and it is pretty thin in a couple of spots on the barrel as well with some minor spots of rust. I'm sure they would clean up with some oil and 0000 steel wool. The wood is not bad. It has some dings and scratches, but most of the finish is still on the wood. The rear sight has been removed and a Williams receiver sight added. I'm not sure about the front sight. It looks as if it may have once had a hood, but not any more. The blade has a white line going up it. Not sure if this is Winchester or Williams or something else. Someone gave him the rifle a few years ago. He said he wanted to sell it, but the figure he mentioned sounded low. Although he got it for free, I'd like to give him a fair price for it. I realize it is not collectable per se, but still.... The only values I could seem to find on-line were from 4-5 years ago. I'm not sure they are still good figures. What is a fair price to pay him?

snowwolfe
01-18-2015, 11:54 PM
My brother found a pair of 94 Ranger's in 30-30 in a LGS last month. Both were wearing cheap scopes but were in like new condition. He bought both for 300 each. Hope this helps.

TXGunNut
01-19-2015, 02:50 AM
It's a shooter and will bring whatever a shooter brings in your part of the country. Around here it would bring close to $500 in a retail setting.
Don't worry about the front hood, doesn't work well with peeps on that gun.

bob208
01-19-2015, 08:05 AM
$250 if it shoots good. around here they are trying to milk them for more. but at the end of the day if it $250 it walks out the door if more it stays on the table till the next show. although at an auction all bets are off.

cajun shooter
01-19-2015, 10:03 AM
It all depends on the area and what the normal market is in your area. It will bring more where lever actions are used by a lot of people and less where more people prefer bolt guns.
I was told at an early age that if the seller and buyer are both happy, then it was a good deal. I would not pay over $300 for the rifle described as it sounds as if it has seen heavy use. Take Care David

pietro
01-19-2015, 12:43 PM
It is a Win 94 in 30-30. The serial number dates it as made in 1975. It has very little finish left on the receiver and it is pretty thin in a couple of spots on the barrel as well with some minor spots of rust.

I'm sure they would clean up with some oil and 0000 steel wool. - Don't even think about it (see below) . [smilie=b:

I'm not sure about the front sight. The blade has a white line going up it. Not sure if this is Winchester or Williams or something else. -
The White Line front sight blade is almost certainly an XS Sights item, installed in order to zero the rifle with the receiver sight.

I would respectfully suggest you/she oil the outside of the receiver & live with it, since 1964-83 Winchester receivers are not the pre-64 & post 83 forged steel, and cannot be successfully refinished as a forged steel receiver can.

Those receivers were iron-plated, then colored with a coating that only looked like bluing (or Gold, Silver, Pewter, black chrome, and/or an applied CCH finish on various commemoratives & the Model 94 Antique)

$300 is more than a fair value.

OverMax
01-19-2015, 01:08 PM
It was a hurried write. Although this write it contained wise and tried buying tips. I will take it down just to save this Op's thread from getting to many unwanted critiques concerning something I wrote that may bother others. (being all to truthful) BTW As commented & told this is a in family transfer. I'm quite sure your son will be happy with whatever you decide to offer him. 3-350.00 is fair.

KLR
01-19-2015, 01:19 PM
Last fall I was in a pawn shop that had several like-new 94s for $300.

milrifle
01-19-2015, 01:20 PM
Overmax,

I appreciate your concern, but since it is my son selling to his mother, I doubt the safeguards are warranted.:-P

Alan in Vermont
01-19-2015, 03:01 PM
Being this is a used (private party?) rifle. Offer pawn shop pricing. If in really seriously wanting. Bargain up 50.00 ($) But never above your pre-set budgeted amount.

With private party purchasing. Never Ever have cash in your pocket. Leave it in a safe place like your locked vehicle or with a trusted friend sitting in your locked vehicle. Always be concerned about your safety first & foremost in those pre-arranged meeting places other than your home.

Buying a new in the box rifle. Buy it from a store front stocking dealer for legality purposes. Shop around for your best deal before hand. Even if its a little amount of savings. Buy it there. Remember: Loyalty has little value in business dealings.

Buy used weaponry from Estate sales. As Estate auctioneers are more open to your views and offers. Remember your purchasing: Used as is. Cash & carry at those sales.

Try not to buy from gun business's Used Gun Rack. Business owners pre-price their weaponry at or above its true value and much above what they themselves gave for it occasionally. And are seldom likely to accept a lower offer. Than again there too your buying: Used as is. Cash & carry.

Just a few hints on how to get the biggest bang for your bucks. I've used these technique's over the years and found them to work very well. Like I commented earlier ("He who has the money in hand at the end of a purchase (or not) wins.")

Probably good advice but either you did not read the OP or did not comprehend what you were reading. Nobody is shopping for a gun, this is an inter-family transfer.

OverMax
01-19-2015, 03:55 PM
I hope my removal actions in my earlier write appease all those concerned.

Probably good advice but either you did not read the OP or did not comprehend what you were reading. Nobody is shopping for a gun, this is an inter-family transfer. I think you too missed the OPs question Alan in Vermont. Time for you to critique your own comment to stay on point also.

S/S

milrifle
01-20-2015, 08:31 AM
Thank you, Everyone for your input.