PDA

View Full Version : Addenda to Who Made It...

Echo
01-18-2015, 04:29 PM
I inspected (by hand, individually!) all the boolits made yesterday with this mould, and found about 40% culls, mainly cused by the pins not registering with their sockets. Several showed flash on one side of the base, indicating bad vertical alignment.
Others showed displacement of the halves.
Others were just plain ugly, and my ego will not allow me to show those. Be advised - I will adjust those flamin' pins when I get back to home base...

Hickok
01-18-2015, 04:53 PM
Yuck!

Who ever made it, ????

Echo
01-19-2015, 12:10 AM
My guess is that the preceding owner (Pre-eBay) wasn't able to diagnose the problems - probably didn't have the help of a few thousand folks on CastBoolits! I believe I will get this thing to behave - but I still wish I knew who made it!
I don't believe there is anything wrong with the blocks themselves, just mainly the pins, but the possibility of less-than-optimal closing pressure front-to-back could be another problem that I'm not sure how to address. Maybe drill new holes for Lyman nutcrackers?

bhn22
01-19-2015, 10:44 AM
Do the handles fit somewhat tightly in the grooves? I had difficulties similar to this one time and traced it down to the realization that the particular set of RCBS handles I was using were extra thin at the mounting area. They were more like Lachmiller handles than RCBS. One other possibility exists, the mould may work better with nutcracker style handles, if you can find a set that'll fit. There's not much support on the far end of the mold, and the weight of the blocks may simply be working against the alignment pins.

Idaho Sharpshooter
01-21-2015, 01:11 AM
I do not know just who is responsible, but I would wager that it does NOT say NOE on it...

Idaho Sharpshooter
01-21-2015, 01:13 AM
Echo, there is one better thing, her cousin (the lingerie model with waist length red hair) having to move over so she can get out of bed to make breakfast.

I tried that once, on R&R in OZ. Found out I was not nearly the man I thought I was...

Echo
01-22-2015, 02:38 PM
Have had NO experience with a red-headed lingerie model, and at my stage in life - well, the less said, the better...

And I checked my assortment of nutcrackers, and none are long enough to fit the 10-banger. The RCBS handles fit well, and the mold is supported while being filled, and the #1 (Top/Front) cavity gets filled first, so it is the first to set, while the last ones are being filled. We'll see...