PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x39 reloading

pahermit
01-18-2015, 02:26 PM
Am trying to reload 7.62x39 for a cz 527.Am useing rcbs dies and am having problems flareing the neck to accept a cast .311 bullet.When I finally got it opened enough to accept the 311{Bent the whole rod,but thats another problem]Does anyone make a crimping die for that caliber.Another question,should I even be crimping the lead bullet? The rcbs dies came with a 308/311 expanders but bent the 311 unit while trying to open the neck to accept the 311 bullet.Will call rcbs for a replacement but that will not correct my problem.

sdcitizen
01-18-2015, 02:39 PM
What you need is the Lee easy eXpander, for flaring the case mouth, and yes you can crimp, but it works better if you seat and crimp in two separate stages. Lee also makes collet style crimp dies, they work great in my experience. In a pinch, some folks will also use a 338 or 357 sizing die and just run the case up a little ways on the expander button to flare the case mouth. The proper amount of flare is when most of the gas check will set inside the case mouth before seating.

newrib
01-18-2015, 02:58 PM
You might want to look at the Lyman "M" die to open your case necks. I use them on every caliber I load. The "M" die body can be used for many different calibers by changing the mandrels to suit. Lyman does not offer different mandrels, NOE Molds does. Or try the LEE universal flaring tool.

Mk42gunner
01-18-2015, 03:45 PM
I also have the RCBS 7.62x39 two die set, I load for my Charles Daly Mini-Mauser. I leave the larger expander button on the decapping pin; then expand the case neck with a Lyman M-die from my .32 ACP/S&W Long/ H&R Magnum die set. I haven't had any problems crimping with the seating die.

Robert

GhostHawk
01-18-2015, 10:58 PM
For Cast bullets you need one of a few possible solutions. All involve a slight "flaring" of the neck to help get the bullet started.
As Newrib said the "M" die is one way, Lee makes a good tool for this, which is another. But a tapered punch will do the same thing, put it in, give it a tap, check size with a bullet.

Or you can get a custom sizer ball for your die. Most die makers do this fairly cheaply.

Find something that works for you, that fits your budget.

I started with the punch, frustrated like you. Tried swapping in a larger expander die, but it wasn't enough bigger.

Ended up with the Lee tool which mostly lives in a cheap lee press of its own.

Pistol dies tend to come with a powder through expander die which does a very nice job IMO.

oldsagerat
01-22-2015, 07:45 PM
My two cents worth. I use a Lyman M die with a 31R expander for loading .311 cast or jacketed bullets for
my CZ-527 in 7.62x39. I took the expander out of the sizing die and use only a decapping rod.