PDA

View Full Version : Thumbtacks vs. Pushpins? Thoughts??? Opinions?????

ballistim
01-18-2015, 01:42 PM
btroj is tied up with all the polls he has going at the moment, so in an effort to help out here i am starting a new poll based on this subject from the "Poll Tacks?" thread because, after all.. you can never have too many poll threads! maybe we could have a poll on whether or not to have a poll on having too many polls threads... but thats a subject for another poll thread! the question posed was "at what point did a thumbtack become a pushpin?" and I for one do not have a good answer to that question! Please weigh in here with with any insights into this perplexing question.:-P:-(;;;;::
:killingpc

btroj
01-18-2015, 01:46 PM
No poll? It isn't the same with a poll?
A poll is easy, not even remotely tacksing.

Im a thumbtack guy but can live with pushpin too. Call me a manually inserted penetrating paper holding device fence sitter.

ballistim
01-18-2015, 01:48 PM
I'm in support of opening the stapler & using it as well when it will work, very cost effective!

btroj
01-18-2015, 01:50 PM
But a thumbtack/pushpin is manually inserted, no tooling required. A stapler is an extra expense not to mention the weight and burden of lugging a bulky tool around.

geargnasher
01-18-2015, 01:50 PM
What about staples?

I use pushpins, exclusively. Have a bullion jar full of them in my range bag at all times. Reason? They don't hurt my fingernails and they don't fold over at the head and stick me in the thumb like "thumb" tacks do when trying to push them into harder materials such as wood.

Gear

geargnasher
01-18-2015, 01:51 PM
Slow typing.

ETA, what about tape?

ballistim
01-18-2015, 01:53 PM
Good points here! Does anyone here have the tooling to produce thumbtacks out of beer cans? Or maybe staples forming using .22 rimfire shells ?

BrassMagnet
01-18-2015, 01:55 PM
I like staples on my bulletin board.
I don't need no stinking stapler.
I use a hammer!
A hammer works better when someone messes with my bulletin board. They only do it once!

ballistim
01-18-2015, 01:56 PM
Tape would require its own sub-forum just to include the various kinds of tape that could be used & reasons for one being better than another, for example I'd be in favor of Gorilla Tape.

ballistim
01-18-2015, 01:58 PM
I like staples on my bulletin board.
I don't need no stinking stapler.
I use a hammer!
A hammer works better when someone messes with my bulletin board. They only do it once!

Of course, but what brand hammer, what size & weight, etc.
maybe a poll would be required on that as well..

Goatwhiskers
01-18-2015, 01:58 PM
I'm beginning to think we've had too much winter already. You guys need to go reload or cast boolits or somethin'. GW

FredBuddy
01-18-2015, 02:06 PM
Yup, I'm gettin' the stuff out to do some 30-06. Haven't tried cast and powdercoated in 30-06 yet.

ballistim
01-18-2015, 02:07 PM
Every time I see "powder coat" I want a donut!

gwpercle
01-18-2015, 02:11 PM
Is insanity required to post here or just recommended ?
A sanity poll might be in order!
Gary

Calamity Jake
01-18-2015, 02:14 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^
[smilie=l: [smilie=l: [smilie=l:

ballistim
01-18-2015, 02:14 PM
OK, I apologize for getting a little out of hand here, layed up with a torn rotator cuff awaiting surgery & I think my pain meds are having an effect... Cabin fever for sure & right handed without much use of right arm to reload or cast right now, I'll try to act a little more grown up for a while ;-)

btroj
01-18-2015, 02:15 PM
Tape opens an entirely new can of worms. A can that isn't easily taped closed.

To me a thumbtack has a round, domed top that lays pretty flat. A pushpin is generally plastic topped and sits proud of the surface by 1/4 to 3/8 inch. Far easier to remove a pushpin.

For targets I am a diehard stapler guy, our frames have plywood and pushpins/thumbtacks just don't bite easily. Now give me a target frame with blackjack and pushpins are where it's at.

ballistim
01-18-2015, 02:17 PM
Target stapling is an art form in and of itself, I prefer the stapler that you swing like a hammer, adds to the experience IMO.

ballistim
01-18-2015, 02:22 PM
Tape opens an entirely new can of worms. A can that isn't easily taped closed.

To me a thumbtack has a round, domed top that lays pretty flat. A pushpin is generally plastic topped and sits proud of the surface by 1/4 to 3/8 inch. Far easier to remove a pushpin.

For targets I am a diehard stapler guy, our frames have plywood and pushpins/thumbtacks just don't bite easily. Now give me a target frame with blackjack and pushpins are where it's at.

Thumbtacks are classics, IMO- and they are brass after all, & we all love brass, right? I realize not all are made of brass anymore but I only care about the pre-steel era.
Pushpins have modern advancements you've noted using plastic, and you've seen one staple, you've seen them all, not much to see there.

gwpercle
01-18-2015, 02:25 PM
Is insanity required to post here or just recommended ?

A sanity poll might be in order!

Powder coating reminds me of donuts too!
Around here we have a powder coated donut, without a hole, called a Beigent and when consumed with Cafe' Au Lait, is a gastronomical delight. You can tell those who have eaten them because they usually have lots of white powdered sugar on the front of thier clothes . They Good!
Gary

ballistim
01-18-2015, 02:26 PM
I've sent my wife out for donuts.

freebullet
01-18-2015, 03:42 PM
I have some brass tacks. Have some with an aluminum head too. I like my hammer tacker.

Smoke4320
01-18-2015, 04:08 PM
I sure hope you hammer tacker Does not have a shoulder stock. That brings up a hole new can of worms to tack-le

mold maker
01-18-2015, 04:09 PM
The sweet sixteen powdered donuts, were my favorites till the
Dr said "No More". Diabetes takes lots of the fun out of life.
I prefer the pushpins since the "itis boys" made my fingers stiff.
They don't hurt as bad when ya sit on them either.

ballistim
01-18-2015, 04:22 PM
The sweet sixteen powdered donuts, were my favorites till the
Dr said "No More". Diabetes takes lots of the fun out of life.
I prefer the pushpins since the "itis boys" made my fingers stiff.
They don't hurt as bad when ya sit on them either.

Right about sitting on them! I remember the time my oldest was a tot in AZ, doorbell rang & I jumped into my cowboy boots only to find out he put a jack, not a tack in one of my boots.I wished he'd decided on the rubber ball instead, really hurt for a long time right in the heel. Same son thought it would be fun to put a bunch of B.B.'s into the input jack of my guitar amp which put out a lot of smoke the next time I turned it on. Maybe my next thread will be on jacks, not tacks.

pworley1
01-18-2015, 04:48 PM
Push pins all the way.

DLCTEX
01-18-2015, 06:20 PM
Whatever I have at the time. I do not discriminate.

ballistim
01-18-2015, 06:22 PM
Opinions seem to be all over the cork board on this one.

MT Gianni
01-18-2015, 07:40 PM
Dedicated stapler here. I believe thumbtacks are brass or chrome and wide topped, pushpins are plastic topped with a rim. I have worn out one Stanley stapler and have a pile of T-10 staples in my range bag. I use them because of ease of transportation and the target doesn't usually flop if you shoot a staple.

btroj
01-18-2015, 07:43 PM
Shoot a staple? Not unless I'm aiming at it!;)

btroj
01-18-2015, 07:45 PM
pin
ˈpo͝oSHˌpin/
nounNORTH AMERICAN

a thumbtack with a spherical or cylindrical head of colored plastic, used to fasten papers to a bulletin board or to indicate positions on charts and maps.

.22-10-45
01-18-2015, 07:50 PM
Used thumbtacks until I tried pushing into hard cardboard & pin coming thru head & into thumb! Push pins now..I don't use staples because I re-use cardboard backer & a missed staple is nasty on both flesh & car interiors. One major pet peeve I have is guys using shooting benches..including the seats for target stapling..these things are left in wood just waiting to rip open a hand, jeans..or worse...a nice stock!

big bore 99
01-18-2015, 07:50 PM
I like my stapler with a high capacity mag.

ballistim
01-18-2015, 07:55 PM
pin
ˈpo͝oSHˌpin/
nounNORTH AMERICAN

a thumbtack with a spherical or cylindrical head of colored plastic, used to fasten papers to a bulletin board or to indicate positions on charts and maps.

wil·co
ˈwilkō/
exclamation
expressing compliance or agreement, especially acceptance of instructions received by radio.
"roger, wilco"

btroj
01-18-2015, 07:56 PM
His first name is Roger?

ballistim
01-18-2015, 07:57 PM
His first name is Roger?

[emoji13]

popper
01-18-2015, 09:53 PM
My back is too sore to get to the thumbtacks in my shoes. My fingers bleed from getting the pushpins out of the jar. I vote for duct tape.

Blacksmith
01-19-2015, 01:38 AM
I like the ones that screw in!
http://www.csosborneupholsterytools.com/category/Pins%20_%20Regulators

bhn22
01-19-2015, 10:35 AM
Threads like this have long been a staple of these forums. Sometimes I wish these threads would take a different tack.

btroj
01-19-2015, 10:37 AM
When we insert a pushpin the name is accurate, when we remove them shouldn't we call them a pull pin?

ballistim
01-19-2015, 10:38 AM
Threads like this have long been a staple of these forums. Sometimes I wish these threads would take a different tack.

I had mentioned taking a different tack earlier, but here we are! Winter & cabin fever does seem to having an effect on this.

ballistim
01-19-2015, 10:43 AM
When we insert a pushpin the name is accurate, when we remove them shouldn't we call them a pull pin?

Agreed, and as such a tool to help with the pulling out of the pull pin should be made up, bet it would be a big seller.

Smoke4320
01-19-2015, 10:52 AM
Agreed, and as such a tool to help with the pulling out of the pull pin should be made up, bet it would be a big seller.

I'm not sure how to say this tackfully ..But .....Crowbar :)

sundog
01-19-2015, 11:06 AM
I'm definitely a thumbtack guy. It's the only thing that effectively holds my socks from falling down around my ankles. ;)

farmerjim
01-19-2015, 11:33 AM
I use clothespins to attach the paper target to the top of the backboard. This works well till another shooter uses them for his target.

ballistim
01-19-2015, 11:38 AM
I use clothespins to attach the paper target to the top of the backboard. This works well till another shooter uses them for his target.

Clothespins! How did we forget to include the classic clothespin? Spring loaded I'm guessing since the old one-piece design wouldn't be quite as versatile for holding targets I'm guessing.

blackthorn
01-19-2015, 11:54 AM
I would rather handle Pin-ups!!

Smoke4320
01-19-2015, 11:55 AM
I would rather handle Pin-ups!!

Pin up Models :)

ballistim
01-19-2015, 11:56 AM
Pin up Models :)

deleted

shooter2
01-19-2015, 12:09 PM
You all need some sunshine and range time. Get into the shop, load 'em up, and hit the range. Darned kids.

BTW, it's push pins!

ballistim
01-19-2015, 12:15 PM
Strong push for push pins in the polls..

dtknowles
01-19-2015, 01:16 PM
Isn't a push pin just one type of thumb tack. If I use a twig to attach a target to a foam backer is the twig then a stick pin. How can you call a spring loaded clamp a clothes pin? Some other spring loaded clamps are called binder clips and they work pretty good for attaching targets but don't confuse them with a detatchable box magazine or you will create another long thread.

ballistim
01-19-2015, 01:31 PM
Isn't a push pin just one type of thumb tack. If I use a twig to attach a target to a foam backer is the twig then a stick pin. How can you call a spring loaded clamp a clothes pin? Some other spring loaded clamps are called binder clips and they work pretty good for attaching targets but don't confuse them with a detatchable box magazine or you will create another long thread.

Several good points here, let's go one by one:

first) the aforementioned twig would indeed be classified as a pushpin by the ATF if modified in such a way.

second) while the spring loaded clothespin bears some similarities to spring loaded clamps and operates on the same principle it is classified as a clothespin if used for the purpose of doing laundry but not if used for hanging targets and other uses it was not originally designed for.

third) a spring loaded clamp also known as a binder clip would not be in the same category as a detachable box magazine unless used for the sole purpose of housing loaded center-fire cartridges, not sure how the ruling comes down on rimfire.

I hope I have been able to clarify the legalities of these issues in Lyman's umm.. layman's terms. (stupid auto-correct chose Lyman's!)

bhn22
01-19-2015, 02:02 PM

When you pull the pin, Mr Grenade is no longer our friend.

Shooter6br
01-19-2015, 02:09 PM
Thumb tacs better for measage boards with a thin cork .

ballistim
01-19-2015, 02:15 PM
Thumb tacs better for measage boards with a thin cork .

I tried to put a thumbtack on a message board from a forum on my computer but it just scratched the computer monitor screen & bent then folded over, my results must not have been as good as yours.

Col4570
01-19-2015, 02:18 PM
Just to throw this into the pot,we call them Drawing Pins on this side of the Pond.:killingpc

ballistim
01-19-2015, 02:20 PM
Just to throw this into the pot,we call them Drawing Pins on this side of the Pond.:killingpc

What do you draw with them? My kids tried to draw with one on an "Etch-A-Sketch" once, not a pretty sight..

Thumbcocker
01-19-2015, 02:22 PM
1.) hard or soft push pins and tacks?

2.) Lubed or powder coated?

3.) what velocity are we talking about?

4.) What is the RPM threshold of a push pin vs. a tack?

5.) Does your home State have capacity limits on staple guns ?

6.) Do staple guns give rise to a "spray and pray" mindset as opposed to one well placed center mass push pin or tack?

ballistim
01-19-2015, 02:32 PM
1.) hard or soft push pins and tacks?

2.) Lubed or powder coated?

3.) what velocity are we talking about?

4.) What is the RPM threshold of a push pin vs. a tack?

5.) Does your home State have capacity limits on staple guns ?

6.) Do staple guns give rise to a "spray and pray" mindset as opposed to one well placed center mass push pin or tack?

1.) soft, they form a better seal in a blow-dart gun

2.) lubed, old school

3.) subsonic

4.) it depends on the composition of each

5.) my state has limits on everything! I mean really, what genius thought up a law on finally allowing hunters in the southern part of the state to use rifles for deer hunting, as long as they are a straight wall cartridge no longer that 1.8" long? I'd hate to be the guy caught with one 1.81" long... sorry, that's a subject for another poll thread on another day!

ballistim
01-19-2015, 02:32 PM
Sorry, I forgot #6, the answer is yes.

country gent
01-19-2015, 02:36 PM
I perfer kabars fighting knife easy to put into any surface and gets loads of attention holding your post on the company bulletitn boards. Other wise it thumbtacks push pins or staples what ever is available at the moment.

ballistim
01-19-2015, 02:38 PM
I perfer kabars fighting knife easy to put into any surface and gets loads of attention holding your post on the company bulletitn boards. Other wise it thumbtacks push pins or staples what ever is available at the moment.

Hard to find a good reason not to use a k-bar for just about anything.

Col4570
01-19-2015, 02:43 PM
What do you draw with them? My kids tried to draw with one on an "Etch-A-Sketch" once, not a pretty sight..
Pins the paper to the drawing board.These cross Atlantic differences are great.an Auto is a Car,A fender is a Bumper,a Hood is a Bonnet,a Trunk is a Boot.I worked over there in 1974 for six months enjoyed every minute.One English co worker asked an American co worker to knock her up in the morning,she didn't want to be late at the office.Now where was I?

ballistim
01-19-2015, 02:55 PM
Pins the paper to the drawing board.These cross Atlantic differences are great.an Auto is a Car,A fender is a Bumper,a Hood is a Bonnet,a Trunk is a Boot.I worked over there in 1974 for six months enjoyed every minute.One English co worker asked an American co worker to knock her up in the morning,she didn't want to be late at the office.Now where was I?

I'd be overwhelmed by these cultural differences.. I mean, just going over the border to Canada to play hockey required me to learn to say "eh?" all the time.. plus I had to remember to add the letter U to words.. like "colour", and I'm Welsh, Scottish, and Irish so I should be a little better at this stuff. Thanks for educating me on this! Oh yeah, if a nice Canadian asks you if you want to go have a few "pops" make sure you don't have to drive! One more useful cross-cultural tip..

Certaindeaf
01-19-2015, 03:21 PM
My favorite driver of tacks (and pusher of pushpins), is a 4" M-29 loaded medium (Red Dot for me) with a 215g wadcutter. you guys are nuts. lol

ballistim
01-19-2015, 03:23 PM
I'd be overwhelmed by these cultural differences.. I mean, just going over the border to Canada to play hockey required me to learn to say "eh?" all the time.. plus I had to remember to add the letter U to words.. like "colour", and I'm Welsh, Scottish, and Irish so I should be a little better at this stuff. Thanks for educating me on this! Oh yeah, if a nice Canadian asks you if you want to go have a few "pops" make sure you don't have to drive! One more useful cross-cultural tip..

I forgot to add.. good friend from Ontario asked me if I wanted to go to the "ballet" (same friend who asked about going out for "pops" all the time), and not wanting to be rude said "sure, why not?" Well, I must say those girls at the "ballet" weren't wearing anything, let alone tutus! Something else to tack on your cork board for a rainy day..

ballistim
01-19-2015, 03:24 PM
My favorite driver of tacks (and pusher of pushpins), is a 4" M-29 loaded medium (Red Dot for me) with a 215g wadcutter. you guys are nuts. lol

Tack drivers definitely have a place on this poll thread.

Certaindeaf
01-19-2015, 03:28 PM
You guys are pretty fun.

ballistim
01-19-2015, 03:33 PM
You guys are pretty fun.

I have to say, this is my very first "poll thread" in the style of WILCO and I thought I might be lucky to get a reply, but this thing has taken on a life all it's own! I want to thank btroj for suggesting I do this & my respect for WILCO has increased exponentially... this is exhausting! I need to go sort some wheelweights to try to regain my sanity..

Certaindeaf
01-19-2015, 03:39 PM
I have to say, this is my very first "poll thread" in the style of WILCO and I thought I might be lucky to get a reply, but this thing has taken on a life all it's own! I want to thank btroj for suggesting I do this & my respect for WILCO has increased exponentially... this is exhausting! I need to go sort some wheelweights to try to regain my sanity..
If we started a freeform "pinterest" thingy, I think it'd be pretty "interesting".
The mind wheels like a pinwheel.

ballistim
01-19-2015, 03:41 PM
If we started a freeform "pinterest" thingy, I think it'd be pretty "interesting".

wouldn't a "tackterest" work as well?

ballistim
01-19-2015, 03:44 PM

I've lost way too much money at the spinning wheel, and "pinwheel" kinda reminds me of that for some odd reason.

dtknowles
01-19-2015, 03:49 PM
I've lost way too much money at the spinning wheel, and "pinwheel" kinda reminds me of that for some odd reason.

Doesn't a pinwheel take the X out of the X ring!

When I shot indoor 4 position, 22, a pinwheel took all the black out of the 10 ring on the 50 ft. target. There was no x-ring.

Tim

scarry scarney
01-19-2015, 03:53 PM
For notes and bulletin boards: Thumbtack - no. Pushpin - yes.
For Targets: Thumbtack/Pushpins- not yet, Spring clips - yes, Staples (from staple gun) - yes, Spray adhesive - yes, tape - yes
Anyone else using spray adhesive?

Certaindeaf
01-19-2015, 03:55 PM
For Targets: Thumbtack/Pushpins- not yet, Spring clips - yes, Staples (from staple gun) - yes, Spray adhesive - yes, tape - yes
Yer buckin for a sticky. lol

ballistim
01-19-2015, 03:56 PM

Yes on spray adhesive, hard to do better than 3M in a can.

ballistim
01-19-2015, 03:59 PM
I like the glue we use at Camp Perry that goes on with a paint brush, can't do any better than that! I love slopping that stuff on & it works great, targets always stay in place.

Certaindeaf
01-19-2015, 04:02 PM
In my kit forever, especially for "woods" shooting, is always a little tin of pushpins or my little eraser with gobs of both stuck into it.. and paper plates.. for the pin wheeling proofness. I certainly don't have anything against bouncing a can or pinecone though, of course.

mold maker
01-19-2015, 04:06 PM
The wife uses "tacky glue" to hold the wigs on dolls. Didn't work for me. Thumb tacks and push pins hurt and staples left 2 holes that bled.

ballistim
01-19-2015, 04:08 PM
Doesn't a pinwheel take the X out of the X ring!

When I shot indoor 4 position, 22, a pinwheel took all the black out of the 10 ring on the 50 ft. target. There was no x-ring.

Tim

...and another thing about pinwheels... I thought I'd play a joke on my wife with my kids on the 4th of July and we put a fireworks-loaded pinwheel on the waving arm of her scarecrow and the darn thing caught fire and burned to the ground! I'm not sure she ever forgave me even though I went & bought another one made by the same lady at the farmer's market.., so pinwheels conjure up bad memories for me I guess.

ballistim
01-19-2015, 04:12 PM
In my kit forever, especially for "woods" shooting, is always a little tin of pushpins or my little eraser with gobs of both stuck into it.. and paper plates.. for the pin wheeling proofness. I certainly don't have anything against bouncing a can or pinecone though, of course.

Thumbtacks-especially the expensive ones with bicycle reflector-type material are great for marking the path to my tree stand in the dark, never go hunting without them along with orange or red rolls of marking tape to tie to branches when blood trailing.

ballistim
01-19-2015, 04:17 PM
The wife uses "tacky glue" to hold the wigs on dolls. Didn't work for me. Thumb tacks and push pins hurt and staples left 2 holes that bled.

OK, that reminds me of the scene in "The Wrestler" with Mickey Rourke!

woodbutcher
01-19-2015, 04:42 PM
:-P I like thumbtacks too.They make great targets.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Certaindeaf
01-19-2015, 04:48 PM
:-P I like thumbtacks too.They make great targets.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo
That wasn't even "edgy".. clean miss. lol

shooter2
01-19-2015, 04:50 PM
One advantage to thumb tacks is that, with the right spin, you throw them and stick them in the walls and ceiling. Something to try while you're debating these issues of great import.

Certaindeaf
01-19-2015, 04:56 PM
One advantage to thumb tacks is that, with the right spin, you throw them and stick them in the walls and ceiling. Something to try while you're debating these issues of great import.
Speaking of sticking, and it's pretty much a pin, take a stout needle or even a lawn dart/hefty rod and affix a length of cord on the eye/off end.. you can wing that thing point forward with great and accurate force were you of the mind to.

country gent
01-19-2015, 05:08 PM
Ballistim that is wall paper paste used at perry, the draw back is a heavy coat or damp humid day the replacement center turns dark making the bull harder to see. We used the 3m spary adhesieves for the local clubs targets held great and didnt affect targets appearence.

ballistim
01-19-2015, 06:00 PM
Ballistim that is wall paper paste used at perry, the draw back is a heavy coat or damp humid day the replacement center turns dark making the bull harder to see. We used the 3m spary adhesieves for the local clubs targets held great and didnt affect targets appearence.

Good to know!

gwpercle
01-19-2015, 06:12 PM
I got sidetracked and forgot to vote.
1. Insane
2. Masking tape
3. Little Debbie Mini Powdered Donuts
Gary

gwpercle
01-19-2015, 06:18 PM
Right about sitting on them! I remember the time my oldest was a tot in AZ, doorbell rang & I jumped into my cowboy boots only to find out he put a jack, not a tack in one of my boots.I wished he'd decided on the rubber ball instead, really hurt for a long time right in the heel. Same son thought it would be fun to put a bunch of B.B.'s into the input jack of my guitar amp which put out a lot of smoke the next time I turned it on. Maybe my next thread will be on jacks, not tacks.
Nothing like going to the bathroom at night and discovering a "jack" with your bare foot,
dang kids. Bet a lot of younger's don't even know what jacks are, we showing our age.

ballistim
01-19-2015, 06:23 PM
Nothing like going to the bathroom at night and discovering a "jack" with your bare foot,
dang kids. Bet a lot of younger's don't even know what jacks are, we showing our age.

Absolutely! Next generation should have the opportunity to step on jacks just as we did. In fact, I believe I'll try to find some so I can put one in every one of my grandchildren's stockings next Christmas, bet I can find them online...

ballistim
01-19-2015, 06:26 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/19/ee757830f647896f4012df22da55fc91.jpg

Aha! I found 'em!

ballistim
01-19-2015, 06:28 PM
I got sidetracked and forgot to vote.
1. Insane
2. Masking tape
3. Little Debbie Mini Powdered Donuts
Gary

Donuts.... every time I see "powder coat" I think of donuts, think I gained ten pounds this month...

shooter2
01-19-2015, 08:16 PM
Jacks. look like the things one dumps on the enemy highway to cause flats.

Blacksmith
01-19-2015, 10:19 PM
Jacks. look like the things one dumps on the enemy highway to cause flats.

Those are called Caltrops and you could use one to hold a target.

Col4570
01-20-2015, 08:22 AM
yes here we say,"do you fancy a swift one"meaning would you like to go for a quick drink.And we still use the word for Two weeks "Fortnight".ie A fortnight ago this bloke asked me if I fancied a swift one.but up in Scotland try this one for size,a Pelty (a Hammer)a dwang (a Tapwrench).ie "See us ower that corry haunet Pelty.Meaning pass me that left handed Hammer.When I was in the USA people would ask me to say something in my Derbyshire accent.What this has to do with push pins I do,nt know but I thought you might be interested.

ballistim
01-20-2015, 10:09 AM
yes here we say,"do you fancy a swift one"meaning would you like to go for a quick drink.And we still use the word for Two weeks "Fortnight".ie A fortnight ago this bloke asked me if I fancied a swift one.but up in Scotland try this one for size,a Pelty (a Hammer)a dwang (a Tapwrench).ie "See us ower that corry haunet Pelty.Meaning pass me that left handed Hammer.When I was in the USA people would ask me to say something in my Derbyshire accent.What this has to do with push pins I do,nt know but I thought you might be interested.

Thanks for this, more education if I travel abroad, and you did mention a hammer & tap wrench so tools have been a , excuse the pun- staple of this thread from the get-go. Cheers, as they say over there, right! BTW does anyone actually say "Cheerio!" anymore? Cheerios, powder coat, donuts.. gotta go eat again...

Col4570
01-20-2015, 04:08 PM
yes cheerio is when you are going somewhere,Before we went to a decimal currency system we had pounds,shillings and pence.20 shillings to the pound,12 pence to the shilling,240 pence to the pound.we had amongst this mess a half crown piece which was 2 shillings and sixpence.a florin piece was 2 shillings,a 6 pence piece. a 3penny bit was 3 pence.a farthing was a 1/4 pence.a 10 pound note.a5 pound note,a pound note and a 10 shilling note.a stranger to our land would hear the words thats tupence mi duck(that is two pence my dear)Thrupence (three pence)a tanner (sixpence) You could buy a lot of thumbtacks (drawing pins) for a tanner in those days.

ballistim
01-20-2015, 07:28 PM
yes cheerio is when you are going somewhere,Before we went to a decimal currency system we had pounds,shillings and pence.20 shillings to the pound,12 pence to the shilling,240 pence to the pound.we had amongst this mess a half crown piece which was 2 shillings and sixpence.a florin piece was 2 shillings,a 6 pence piece. a 3penny bit was 3 pence.a farthing was a 1/4 pence.a 10 pound note.a5 pound note,a pound note and a 10 shilling note.a stranger to our land would hear the words thats tupence mi duck(that is two pence my dear)Thrupence (three pence)a tanner (sixpence) You could buy a lot of thumbtacks (drawing pins) for a tanner in those days.
I never could have figured any of that out, unless I had someone to lead me around by the hand I would have become a street person hoping for hand-outs of fish-n-chips, pork pot pies & half finished pints of ale.

Col4570
01-21-2015, 02:19 AM
Missed one out,a shilling was known as a bob.Now we have decimal currency and you would get along fine it is much like your Dollar system.As for the Fish and Chips,Deep fried Cod or Haddock in a Beer Batter with chips (French fries) and some Mushy Peas hits the spot when hungry.Here we have a difference again,What you call Chips we call Crisps and what you call French Fries we call Chips.Actualy here our dialects are slowly blending together but there are still some places where they are still strong.I live near a Town named Ilkeston,some of the locals still call it Ilson.Just as you have differing dialects from the deep south to the North we have the same differences.ie,Hi y,all. Hey up mi duck.but getting down to Brass Tacks we each side of the big pond speak the same language.

fast ronnie
01-21-2015, 02:27 AM
i'm not sure how to say this tackfully ..but .....crowbar :)

who wants to hang out and drink with a bunch of crows?