PDA

View Full Version : 7/8oz lee key drive slug and blue dot

mud_alaska
01-18-2015, 01:40 PM
Hi all. I'm new to posting hear so please bare with me on my questions. I live in Alaska and am having a hard time finding components to reload for my 12 gauge 7/8 oz mold I got for Christmas. I also am new to shotgun loading so been reading and researching senc Christmas on what not to do and what is excepted.

So finely to my question! I got 200 2 3/4" fiocchi hulls from ballistic products given to me. I also have federal 12s0 wads and blue dot, and unique powder on hand. Was wondering if any of these components could be safely used to lode with my 7/8oz slugs I cast? I know from reading it's not a good idea to deviate from load data but am trying to learn this new endeavor. I read somewhere that you could use active and federal hull data for Fiocchi data. Is this true or bs? Looking at pressures in my reloading books looks like federals run at higher presure for similar loads. As stated above I'm having a hard time finding products and am looking for advice. Hopefully longbow, or Ajay w/ video memories will chime in or anybody with more experience than I to enlighten me on this new project. Thanks in advance Justin

jmort
01-18-2015, 01:49 PM
Ajay is gone, unfortunately. Longbow is a good source. The Blue Dot is too slow in my opinion. Unique will work. There are a few threads on this slug which many/most prefer to its bigger brother, one ounce. On YouTube Fortune Cookie 45 has a video or two using the 7/8 with around 30 grains of Unique as I recall. Find some published data for Unique and 7/8 ounce loads. Be careful with work-up and components unless they match your components exactly. Check out the video. Google is your friend for the Blue Dot. Federal hulls and Fiocchi hulls are straight hulls and data should be interchangeable or close to it. Take it slow when changing any components, even if they are similar.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?38940-Tests-of-LEE-7-8-oz-slug-with-Blue-Dot

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?214425-Bluedot-with-Lee-Slugs

Hogtamer
01-18-2015, 02:37 PM
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee75/Dantebeowulf/Fed12S0andLeeslug.jpg
the 12so with a 20 ga 1/8 hard card in wad was onw of AJ's favorite. Use Unique for medium velocity loads. You can use published lead shot loads for 7/8oz and substitue the slug in wad with no problems. The hard card prevents the wad from jamming into the base of the slug and is vital for any kind of accuracy. Shoot from Improved cylinder or cylinder bore and you will get 3-5" groups with that load.

mud_alaska
01-18-2015, 02:45 PM
Thank you much for your quick replies! I was thinking of going with the unique for this project but wanted some input. This little endeavor is a bit different than metallic cartrege reloading but the slow work up is always there. Thanks again and thanks for the links Justin

jmort
01-18-2015, 02:47 PM
The last thing I will ever give up is shotgun reloading. Love it.

mud_alaska
01-18-2015, 03:44 PM
I hope I love it as much as metallic cartrege reloading for the price of slugs and buckshot are threw the roof up hear! We have a winter registration hunt for moose and would like to develop some slug loads that are accurate to 50 or 75 yards max. The next molds I'd like to get is the Lyman 525 pellet slug and lee 1oz so I can work with them and try and harvest a moose with 1. Thanks Justin

jmort
01-18-2015, 03:49 PM
That is where the real, serious, savings are, buck, ball, slug.

Hogtamer
01-18-2015, 03:58 PM
Are you shooting smoothbore or rifled gun?

mud_alaska
01-18-2015, 05:06 PM
I'm using a mossberg 500 with 2 barrel choices. I have a 18.5" cylinder bore home defense, and a 28" accu choke barrel. I'm staying away from using anything more than imp. cylinder in the 28" barrel. From rifle experience I would say I'll probably get better accuracy with the 28" but this is just speculation till I do testing.

mud_alaska
01-18-2015, 05:08 PM
Both smoothbore

mud_alaska
01-18-2015, 09:01 PM
So with more research and reading I was wondering what your thoughts were on this idea. If I change out the federal gold medal hull for a fiocchi hull with fiocchi 616 primer, fed12s0 wad w/ 1/8" 20gauge hard card and deduct 10% from the 49 grain blue dot load that is listed by lee on there site and included in the instructions for a 1oz load. From reading some other posts substitution of a lighter slug with heavier slug data is ok. The thing with my substitution is I'm changing multiple items other than just the slug weight. This is why I deducted 10% to try and compensate for the other items. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated and I understand if no one wants to touch this inquiry. Thanks again Justin

Hogtamer
01-18-2015, 09:59 PM
I'm thinking that will knock your **** back into last week. Go with the lighter loads of unique to start. Blowing up your wad column ain't the object...start with hitting the target. Don't ask how long it took me to learn this!

mud_alaska
01-18-2015, 10:37 PM
Thanks Hogtamer for you response! Maybe I will start with powder load similar to Adam604's so I would be around a 15% + reduction over the listed by lee. Your warnings are not falling on deaf ears Hogtamer I just went and checked my supply of powder and only have about a 1/4# of unique left and I need to save that for my 45/70. There again haven't found any hear lately to purchase and thought I had another # left. So looks like I need to try and use the 2.5# of blue dot I still have left if possible for these loads. I'm not shy of recoil, actually kind of like it for some reason! Thanks Justin

wlc
01-19-2015, 12:00 AM
Hey Mud, What part of the state are you in? I'm guessing the Palmer/Wasilla area? If you need other powders check at the Threes Bears stores. They seem to have more stock on hand than anywhere else right now. I'd try the one on Pittman first then KGB and the Pal-Was Hwy last.

mud_alaska
01-19-2015, 01:57 AM
Thanks wlc. I actually live on Pittman and drive by the 3 bears at the Pittman and Parks on my way to work daily. I check there almost daily with still no luck. My wife checks the Palmer one once or twice a week when visiting the grandparents and no luck there eather. I haven't made it by the one on KGB but will have to try. Thanks much Justin

wlc
01-19-2015, 02:20 AM
Your really close to me then. If you need any help PM me.

mud_alaska
01-19-2015, 10:56 AM
Thanks much wlc! I'll see how it goes and if I have ane questions I'll pm. Thanks again Justin