PDA

View Full Version : lube for brass

hound13
01-18-2015, 11:50 AM
thinking of making my own lube ,reason being I find the the stuff you get is real greasy and hard to remove off the brass what kind of lube that you guys make will work well for me, I have some lanolin here from the drug store .what else will I need??????? ,thanks hound13

oldlincoln
01-18-2015, 11:58 AM
Isopropanol. Dillon, Frankford and others all use this formula. I would suggest that you try some Royal case and die lube made by Sharp Shoot-R products. It is far and away the best and most economical I have found in 47 years of reloading.

hound13
01-18-2015, 12:13 PM
ok thanks for that

GRUMPA
01-18-2015, 12:23 PM
My homemade stuff.....50/50 mix of Anhydrous Lanolin and Vaseline. I clean all my brass with the stainless steel media. Never had a stuck case and I use that lube for my case conversions....

elk hunter
01-18-2015, 12:41 PM
When I was loading commercially I used lanolin thinned with mineral oil and tumbled my cases in a carpet lined tumbler bucket to apply the lube. I don't need to do thousands at a time now so I started using "Imperial Sizing Die Wax" I liked it but, when I finished that tin I tried "Castrol Stick Wax" lubricant that I had on hand and use on my metal band saw blades. It works great, in non-greasy, is easy to wipe off the cases and one stick will last a whole town full of reloaders a lifetime.

Bonz
01-18-2015, 12:53 PM
Most people that I know use 8-10 parts of rubbing alchohol (99%) to 1 part lanolin. Some use "Heet" (red bottle I think) instead of rubbing alcohol because it evaporates faster. The scary part for me would be heating up the alcohol and lanolin so that they mix together.

dragon813gt
01-18-2015, 01:14 PM
You don't have to heat it up if using 99%. The lanolin will dissolve into the solution and stay there. If you use 91% the lanolin will separate out and you have to shake it constantly.

I use neither as the only stuck case I've had is w/ it. I use Mink oil, which is lanolin based. A few minutes in the tumbler removes all residual lube. I'm not trying to set any speed records.

hound13
01-18-2015, 07:42 PM
thanks for the info guys hound13

GabbyM
01-18-2015, 10:45 PM
I buy my low moisture alcohol in the paint department. In those steel quart cans.

My spray bottle of Dillon case lube lasted me at least twenty thousand cases and a decade. I cut it a couple times with alcohol. I believe it evaporates out over the years. Plus it's plenty thick when new.