PDA

View Full Version : pickled eggs

hoss-noogy
02-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Anybody here make their own pickled eggs? I usally just use the brine from pickles but I would like to make my own brine. I lovem but when the wife see's what im doing she's like " oh dear"

waksupi
02-24-2008, 03:36 PM
I use a mixture of vinegar, boiled pickling spices, some surgur as the main ingredients. Some hot peppers and sliced onions tossed in spice things up. Don't ask me for amount of ingredients, as I have never measured!

mbk
02-24-2008, 04:10 PM
The one I use (make it while the wife is out of the house - it will clear your sinuses while simmering)

Pickled eggs recipe: :drinks:

1 dozen eggs boiled and peeled
2 cups white vinegar
1 teaspoon pickling spice
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 medium size lemon peeled and sliced

Combine ingredients and bring to a slow boil
Reduce heat immediately and simmer for 8 minutes
Place eggs in wide mouth jar
Strain hot vinegar solution over eggs
Cover and chill 10 - 12 hrs.
Will keep several days (actually longer)

side notes:
It will easily make a dozen and a half depending on your jar shape - use glass if possible
I generally follow the recipe and spice with Tabasco, salt, and pepper when I eat them.
You can cook in crushed red peppers to taste if you want a spicy solution.
The cooked lemon is very pulpy(sp?) I found it easier to strain through a metal sifter screen into a seperate bowl, then through a tea towel to get a real clear solution. Going through a tea towel first just plugs the towel and it will not drain through very fast - be sure to rinse the sifter screen and the tea towel thoroughly before the wife gets home and sees it! Left alone it will rust the metal screen. [smilie=1:

Mike

imashooter2
02-24-2008, 05:37 PM
I like mine pink...

Juice from 1 jar of pickled beets
1 1/2 cups of white vinegar
2 1/2 cups of water
1 clove of chopped garlic
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons of mixed pickling spice
1 onion sliced thin and separated into rings
1/2 teaspoon salt

Combine ingredients in a glass or ceramic container.

Add 1 dozen hard cooked eggs.

Refrigerate 1 week before eating.

C1PNR
02-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Mine's kind of an old time Bar type recipe. You start by getting a 1 gallon jar of Pickled Pigs Feet.

Eat the Pigs Feet and reserve the "juice" in the jar.

Pickled Eggs, a'la Wilma "Billie" Morrison

6 to 8 Bay Leaves
1/3 c Water
8 to 10 Dry Red Chiles
18 Eggs, hard boil and peel
1 t Salt
1 Onion; thin slice into rings
2/3 c Vinegar
Pickling from 1 gallon of pigs feet

Mix all ingredients in the gallon jar left after finishing the pickled pigs feet. Allow to stand about a week before serving. Great with beer, but watch out tomorrow.[smilie=1:

dragonrider
02-26-2008, 10:10 PM
I use a lot of crushed fresh garlic and onion in mine, I'll use any reciepe but always add the garlic and onion.

Sprue
03-01-2008, 10:04 PM
I use the brine from left over Penrose hot sausages.

+1 on the pickled pigs feet. Been there done that but its been many many moons ago.

EMC45
03-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Eggsellent idea with the pickle juice! I usually just drink it, but I will try the egg thing. Sounds great! My wife is not hip on me eating eggs either. Once she saw me eat a half dozen boiled eggs and a 16 oz. can of saurkraut, and she asked me "Why do you do this to me?"[smilie=1:

GSM
03-04-2008, 03:04 PM
EMC45:

It would be selfish not to share.

scrapcan
03-04-2008, 03:52 PM
I agree with Crash in using the juice from spicy pickled beets. I also have to mention just put small clove of garlic and a little dill if you have it.

EMC45
03-04-2008, 05:15 PM
GSM,
Believe it or not, that is exactly what I always tell her!!!!!!:-D

fourarmed
03-04-2008, 07:10 PM
I know the leftover juice from commercial pigs feet and sausages works, but every time I have tried to pickle eggs from scratch, they turn purple. Does anybody have a "solution" for preventing that?

Sprue
03-04-2008, 08:42 PM
Eggsellent idea with the pickle juice! I usually just drink it, but I will try the egg thing. Sounds great! My wife is not hip on me eating eggs either. Once she saw me eat a half dozen boiled eggs and a 16 oz. can of saurkraut, and she asked me "Why do you do this to me?"[smilie=1:

ROTFLMAO

You remind me of my little brother:-D

Slowpoke
03-04-2008, 09:58 PM
I know the leftover juice from commercial pigs feet and sausages works, but every time I have tried to pickle eggs from scratch, they turn purple. Does anybody have a "solution" for preventing that?

Yea add some pickeled beet juice and then they will be red. :)

Good luck

GSM
03-05-2008, 02:13 AM
Help me out here guys.

I remember how my folks used to do it: Big jar of pickled ring baloney (I wish I had some now), eat some baloney, add some eggs.

Kicker is they used to just keep it in a cupboard, not refrigerated. Not to be a pansy, but is this "food safe"? I know the vinegar preserves a lot of things, but sick time is so precious any more.

Would you refrigerate the eggs if you re-used vinegar from some other product?

They make a spicy, pickled okra here locally that is really good, I might have to get me some to set a few eggs aside in.

Mmmmmm, spicy and tart at the same time. I wonder, would an ale or a pilsner be most appropriate for this meal...... Might have to have some of both:-D

Single Shot
03-05-2008, 03:58 AM

And you probably washed it all down with a Dark Beer.

imashooter2
03-05-2008, 08:12 AM
GSM, I refrigerate mine. I can't see a reason not to.

BABore
03-05-2008, 09:50 AM
If you want some pickled eggs that talk to you all the way through, get yorself a gallon jar of sliced jalapeno's for topping nacho's. Pour all the liquid in a pan and toss in a handfull of pickling spices and 4-5 cloves of crushed garlic, then bring it to a boil. When cooled down some, throw in a big onion that's been halved and sliced thin, about a quart's worth of the jalapeno slices, and your peeled eggs. Leave them sit for about a week or two in the fridge. Freeze the rest of the chilies for chili or something.

Rick N Bama
03-05-2008, 05:20 PM
I remember how my folks used to do it: Big jar of pickled ring baloney (I wish I had some now)

Are you from kentucky? They sell pickled baloney there...........I brought 2 jars back with me from our last trip to visit the son I have that lives N. of Bowling Green.

Rick

hoss-noogy
03-05-2008, 10:21 PM
If you want some pickled eggs that talk to you all the way through, get yorself a gallon jar of sliced jalapeno's for topping nacho's. Pour all the liquid in a pan and toss in a handfull of pickling spices and 4-5 cloves of crushed garlic, then bring it to a boil. When cooled down some, throw in a big onion that's been halved and sliced thin, about a quart's worth of the jalapeno slices, and your peeled eggs. Leave them sit for about a week or two in the fridge. Freeze the rest of the chilies for chili or something.

No way man. Does the expression "screamin demons" or "barbarians at the gate" maen anything to ya?

mbk
03-05-2008, 10:42 PM

The recipe I posted above makes a clear solution and normal colored eggs. It is pretty much like most of the "bar" pickled eggs and is easy and fairly quick to make. You do not have to wait a week to eat them, the eggs are pretty pickled in 24 hrs. I do refridgerate them as I like them cold.

Mike

10-x
03-05-2008, 10:47 PM
HEY!
You guys will need gas masks.................

BABore
03-06-2008, 12:27 PM
No way man. Does the expression "screamin demons" or "barbarians at the gate" maen anything to ya?

Oh, come on now! It gives that rotten egg smell some warmth. [smilie=1:

I first tried these in a little bar in Houghton, Michigan. Everybody went there for a beer and an egg, or two, or three, or six. :drinks:

EMC45
03-06-2008, 01:39 PM
The wife just got a jar of pickles yesterday. Now me and the kids have to eat them quick so I can get some eggs in there!

spurrit
03-11-2008, 01:02 AM
Mmmmmm, spicy and tart at the same time. I wonder, would an ale or a pilsner be most appropriate for this meal...... Might have to have some of both:-D

PBR. A good, cheap, American working man's beer.

Four Fingers of Death
03-11-2008, 07:52 AM
Yummo, I eat more eggs than you can poke a stick at, nature's vitamin pill I have always said. I gotta try these recipes. Thanks.

GSM
03-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Rick:

Not from Kentucky - part of the family is from Michigan, that's where I learned of the pickled ring baloney and eggs.

I haven't seen any pickled baloney here in Texas, BUT, I was introduced to barbecued baloney here. Some barbeque joints call BOB - baloney on bun. They take a about a 3/4" thick slice, smoke it with the other meats, then slap it on a burger bun with sauce. Satisfies the empty feeling between cold beers.

spurrit
03-11-2008, 10:36 PM
Barbecued baloney sounds like a slight improvement over chewing on live skunk ass.

Rick N Bama
03-12-2008, 07:18 AM
Rick:

Not from Kentucky - part of the family is from Michigan, that's where I learned of the pickled ring baloney and eggs.

I haven't seen any pickled baloney here in Texas, BUT, I was introduced to barbecued baloney here. Some barbeque joints call BOB - baloney on bun. They take a about a 3/4" thick slice, smoke it with the other meats, then slap it on a burger bun with sauce. Satisfies the empty feeling between cold beers.

KY is the only place I've seen it. The baloney is on the same shelf as gallons of pickled eggs produced by the same company. The baloney kinda grows on you, never tried the eggs.

Rick

EMC45
03-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Brought the pickled eggs to my dad last night. It was St. Pats and we were eating like pigs. I am not a big fan of the eggs, but the garlic I cut up and put in there was great!

GSM
03-18-2008, 07:26 PM
EMC45:

I hate to ask, but, were you allowed to sleep indoors?

EMC45
03-19-2008, 11:11 AM
She's used to it by now!!![smilie=1:

softpoint
03-19-2008, 11:13 PM
A long time ago, it was generally agreed that the most intense human fumes were created by the consumption of two or three pickled eggs and a couple of Pearl beers (here in Texas, anyway)

EMC45
03-20-2008, 08:15 AM
Ate lunch at a Korean Resteraunt yesterday and almost brought tears to my eyes a few minutes ago.[smilie=1: I had a bunch of Kimchi!

45 2.1
03-20-2008, 08:31 AM
Ate lunch at a Korean Resteraunt yesterday and almost brought tears to my eyes a few minutes ago.[smilie=1: I had a bunch of Kimchi!

That statement is a double edged sword when talking about Kimchi. Good stuff.

jackley
04-16-2008, 05:11 PM
kimchi is good stuff too.

Here's what my eggs look like. And to get them this way. 1/2 the brine from a gal. Penrose hot sausage. The juice from 2 jars jalapena peppers, 3 sliced onions, tbs garlic, and 12 eggs. let stand 3 weeks and have a feast like no other.

This Sat. night were having pickled night. To get in the door of the reloading shack you have to bring a jar of some thing pickled to play cards. So for pickled ham hocks,pigs feet. mushrooms,eggs, onions, sausage, asparagus, cukes, gizzards, and baloney. And just maybe somebody will bring some diet pop to wash it all down.

YUM!!!! YUM!!!!

Jerry

carpetman
04-16-2008, 05:33 PM
Fourarmed--Your pickled eggs turn purple. Yes,I can see that as a huge problem--almost a tongue twister--purple pickled eggs. You might try bleach. If that doesn't work you may have to resort to spray painting them. If you do this in the kitchen on the counter--be sure and put newspaper or some such under them to prevent overspray on the counter. Glad I could help.

fourarmed
04-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Carpetman, between your helpful cooking hints and the heads-up on cheating widows and orphans, I have to acknowledge you as a mentor without parallel.

Scrounger
04-16-2008, 06:31 PM
And how can you overlook his expertise in killing cats and sheep husbandry?

Junior1942
04-16-2008, 06:32 PM
Lots of juke joints sell pickled pig lips. Gross.......

10-x
04-16-2008, 08:09 PM
Any of you know about baloots? They are the Asian version of pickled eggs.....now they are GROSS[smilie=1:

spurrit
04-16-2008, 08:38 PM
Okay, *** is wrong with my pickled eggs? What is supposed to be the vinegar to water ratio? I WAS supposed to use white vinegar, right? How much pickling spice was I supposed to use for a gallon jar? Mine just.... suck!

floodgate
04-16-2008, 08:48 PM
Scrounger:

Ya' mean as in the Tom Lehrer line: "He was practising animal husbandry - until they caught him at it."

Fg

hoss-noogy
04-16-2008, 09:23 PM
kimchi is good stuff too.

Here's what my eggs look like. And to get them this way. 1/2 the brine from a gal. Penrose hot sausage. The juice from 2 jars jalapena peppers, 3 sliced onions, tbs garlic, and 12 eggs. let stand 3 weeks and have a feast like no other.

This Sat. night were having pickled night. To get in the door of the reloading shack you have to bring a jar of some thing pickled to play cards. So for pickled ham hocks,pigs feet. mushrooms,eggs, onions, sausage, asparagus, cukes, gizzards, and baloney. And just maybe somebody will bring some diet pop to wash it all down.

YUM!!!! YUM!!!!

Jerry

Jerry, you sure that aint a pickled pecker in that jar:Fire:

hoss-noogy
04-16-2008, 09:33 PM
Any of you know about baloots? They are the Asian version of pickled eggs.....now they are GROSS[smilie=1:

Balut, mostly duck eggs. it is the embryo of a devoleping duck ,still some of the liquid and the duck embro. I saw on tv where a guy was eating it and you could see some feathers. IT was voted the #1 grossist(sp) food in the world

Scrounger
04-16-2008, 10:19 PM
He calls it "drilling for Lanolin".

Junior1942
04-16-2008, 10:21 PM
Okay, *** is wrong with my pickled eggs? What is supposed to be the vinegar to water ratio? I WAS supposed to use white vinegar, right? How much pickling spice was I supposed to use for a gallon jar? Mine just.... suck!I use 100% white vinegar, and I'd guess a handful of spice to a gallon. A "handful" = 1/8 c = whatever feels right.

jackley
04-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Jerry, you sure that aint a pickled pecker in that jar:Fire:

Hoss;

I imagine somewhere they eat those things but at my poker game those people arn't allowed in. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Jerry

hoss-noogy
04-16-2008, 10:29 PM
If some do show up:Fire::Fire::Fire::Fire:

BABore
04-17-2008, 03:13 PM
Okay, *** is wrong with my pickled eggs? What is supposed to be the vinegar to water ratio? I WAS supposed to use white vinegar, right? How much pickling spice was I supposed to use for a gallon jar? Mine just.... suck!

Most pickling brines are 1 to 1. One part vinegar to one part water. I like to use either cider vinegar or half cider, half white. A quarter cup of sugar is not a bad addition either. Takes away some of the vinegar bite.

I just mixed up a batch of jalapeno pickled eggs last weekend Here's what I did.

2 dozen hard cooked eggs, peeled
1/2 gallon pickled jalapeno's (Sam's). Used all the juice and 1/2 the jalapeno's
16 ozs cider vinegar
16 oz water
1-2 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup pickling spices
1/4 cup chopped garlic (jar stuff)
1 large onion quartered and sliced thin

Strain out the juice the jalapeno's are in and put in a 2-3 qt pot. Add the vinegar, water, sugar, salt, and spices. Bring to a boil. Turn off and add in the garlic, onion, and jalapeno's. Preheat a gallon glass pickle jar with hot water. Pour out and layer in the eggs and veggies/brine. Top with remaining brine. When cool, lid and refrigerate. Take a couple week for them to get right. You can do the same recipe without the garlic and peppers if you wish. Some will add beet juice for color/flavor.

Mohillbilly
04-18-2008, 09:35 AM
I've had pickled black radishes,they smell like the county dump but are very tastey if you can get past the smell.The radishes are as big a baseball and black on the out,and white on the in.(homegrown of course) They are peeled,sliced,and pickled in vinegar and lots of salt,and a dash of sugar. Powerfull stuff !!

waksupi
04-18-2008, 09:45 AM
I've had pickled black radishes,they smell like the county dump but are very tastey if you can get past the smell.The radishes are as big a baseball and black on the out,and white on the in.(homegrown of course) They are peeled,sliced,and pickled in vinegar and lots of salt,and a dash of sugar. Powerfull stuff !!

Like many of the best things in life, once you get past the smell, you've got it licked!

I like Limburger cheese!

spurrit
04-19-2008, 06:36 AM
Like many of the best things in life, once you get past the smell, you've got it licked!

........ if you can smell it before you get to her navel....... DON'T EAT IT !!!

NoDakJak
04-24-2008, 07:09 AM
spurrit Hmmm! I kin tell ya weren't a Swabby er even a Gyrene!? Neil

azcoyhunter
02-09-2009, 10:32 PM
My swmbo put a dozen eggs in the Dill pickle jar Sat night, how long do I waite until they are "pickled"?

Thanks

Junior1942
02-09-2009, 10:42 PM
My swmbo put a dozen eggs in the Dill pickle jar Sat night, how long do I waite until they are "pickled"?

ThanksAt least a week.

azcoyhunter
02-09-2009, 10:46 PM
thanks

redneckdan
02-10-2009, 01:04 AM
Would that bar happen to be the B&B on the west side of town? I've had their eggs and didn't find them that spicy. My current patch is made primarily with habenaro peppers and tabassco sauce cut with vinegar. They should be ready on friday, gotta get some more Blatz....[smilie=1:

Oh, come on now! It gives that rotten egg smell some warmth. [smilie=1:

I first tried these in a little bar in Houghton, Michigan. Everybody went there for a beer and an egg, or two, or three, or six. :drinks:

BABore
02-10-2009, 01:50 PM
I believe so. It was many a moon ago and I was up there "Best Manning" for my buddy (third time). I remember the place was pretty ricketty. Nice slope to the floors. My buddy told me that you always had to watch for the "New Batch" of eggs. They sometimes reused the brine and jalapeno's, resulting in less "ass". Good none the less.

Char-Gar
02-11-2009, 04:10 PM
I take a gallon jar and dump in the following

A sliced onnion or two
A little minced garlic
A jar cherry peppers with juice
A jar of italian peppers with juice
A can of chopped jalapenos with juice
The boiled eggs
some all meat hot dogs (Nathans are good)
About a pint of white vinegar
Top off with water

Let sit a couple of weeks

10-x
02-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Can you power your lawnmower with this????[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

EMC45
02-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Got some eggs boiling right now. Took a pickle jar (Claussen) that was full of pickle juice and loaded it with a half onion cut up and about 5 large garlic cloves split down the middle. Gonna jam the eggs down in it and give it another shot.[smilie=1:

azcoyhunter
02-15-2009, 09:37 AM

you are bringing some memories of PI

Waking up with..... smalling like Baloot..............

Sam Miguel.........