PDA

View Full Version : Lyman M die or Lee Universal Expander with Custom Inserts?

milrifle
01-18-2015, 09:59 AM
I saw a reference to some custom inserts that convert the Lee Universal Expanding Die to work like an M die. I am interested in trying this, but thought I might ask around and see if anyone knew of any advantages or disadvantages of one system over the other. I have several M dies, but not enough for every cartridge I load, so I find myself having to constantly adjust them for new cartridges. I thought about buying some more M dies, but the custom inserts for the Lee are intriguing too. What say you?

Also, on the NOE site, they show the inserts with 2 different diameters listed (Something like .311 x .315, for example). Is this the actual diameters of the insert (larger number being the step) or the diameter of the neck after being expanded (Allowing for some snap back) or what? In other words, if I want to expand the neck for a .315 bullet, should I buy the .315 insert or one .001-.002 smaller?

lancem
01-18-2015, 11:28 AM
I pretty much asked the same question earlier this week and received no replies, I think the custom inserts are too new and there isn't any experiance with them yet. I've ordered mine and it's on the way so hopefully early this week I'll have it in hand.

I've made the same assumptions as you about the diameters of the inserts, except in my case using .310 boolits I got one that the large step is .311 so that the mouth of the case will be slightly flared and not shave lead. I'll see here shortly if I was right.

ballistim
01-18-2015, 11:37 AM
Previous thread on this elsewhere. I started with the Lyman M die but currently use the Lee Universal Expander with NOE expander plugs & they work great for me, I've considered buying a few more Lee Exp. dies to leave set up for my most used cartridges. Both work well, no right or wrong decision here IMO.

TCFAN
01-18-2015, 11:49 AM
I have bought one of each caliber but as yet have not received them. here is a post on the NOE site by Larry Gibson about them .............. http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,538.0.html

tward
01-19-2015, 07:44 AM
Don't have any M dies but have the NOE expanders and they work great! They actually have 3 steps on them. Used the 38 pistol expander to prep cases for wad cutter Boolits and was very pleased with the results, no lead shaving and smoother seating of the Boolit because the case is expanded for quite a ways. Tim

milrifle
01-19-2015, 08:22 AM
Great. I think I will try them. What about the sizes, though? If I'm seating a .315 bullet, should I order a .315 sizer or one a little bigger to ensure no shaving or one a little smaller to get neck tension, or what? I'm unclear what their numbers mean.

762 shooter
01-19-2015, 08:54 AM
This drawing should clear up the sizes.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?256901-NOE-expander-plugs

milrifle
01-19-2015, 02:02 PM
Thanks, Guys! I ordered a couple of different sizes.

BCB
01-21-2015, 01:48 PM
What an interesting concept!!!...

Those plugs sure are less expensive than the RCBS or Lyman...

I have a Lee Universal Expander and just might consider trying a couple of those offered by NOE...

Thanks...BCB

John Boy
01-21-2015, 01:57 PM
I might ask around and see if anyone knew of any advantages or disadvantages of one system over the other.
Yes - the expander plugs that can also be used as a compression plug with BP cost 3 bucks from Track of the Wolf
Yes - M dies are caliber specific and cost $19 each. TOTW plugs are bullet diameter specific
The both work but why use M dies that are more expensive and Lyman frowns on custom sizes. Yet TOTW plugs can be custom sized with a lathe or a file on a drill press

I haven't used my M dies in probably over 10 years but use one or more of my 20+ plugs monthly

wquiles
01-22-2015, 10:27 AM
Yes - the expander plugs that can also be used as a compression plug with BP cost 3 bucks from Track of the Wolf
Yes - M dies are caliber specific and cost $19 each. TOTW plugs are bullet diameter specific
The both work but why use M dies that are more expensive and Lyman frowns on custom sizes. Yet TOTW plugs can be custom sized with a lathe or a file on a drill press

I haven't used my M dies in probably over 10 years but use one or more of my 20+ plugs monthly

Wow, thanks much John for the info on TOTW. Just ordered a few of their inserts/plugs. I have a lathe & mill, so I can always customize them as necessary for the bullets at hand :)

Will

gloob
02-05-2015, 04:50 PM
Yet TOTW plugs can be custom sized with a lathe or a file on a drill press
What's the diameter of the base of a TOTW plug? I don't have a universal decapper, but all my other Lee expanders measure well over 1/2". Something like .540", IIRC. Too big to fit in my 1/2" drill press, at any rate. I can chuck a Lyman plug in a drill press or even a cordless drill. I find they chuck up just fine right on the threads.
I was thinking I could turn a 1/2" dowel down to force-fit into the end of the Lee style plug, but if the TOTW plugs are under 1/2", as is and come in a variety of dimensions already, that would be a great option.