PDA

View Full Version : Mouldy Blues

birdhunters
02-24-2008, 07:06 AM
Has anyone ever tried to increase the diameter of a mould? Ive got a Lyman 429244 that just doesn't want to cast bullets over .429 diameter. I've even used straight linotype to see if it would increase the size. No such luck. I was thinking along the lines of lapping compound on a rubber disc/dremmel tool? Anyone ever try anythingl like this?:?:?:?:?:?:?:?

StrawHat
02-24-2008, 08:16 AM
Search feature,

Lapping molds,

Bunch of replies but one that might be of help is

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=21823&highlight=lapping+molds

You might also read some of the others.

Do not use the rubber disk idea.

Good luck and let us know how it works for you.

Bret4207
02-24-2008, 08:47 AM
I'd trade moulds. You have a common mould design and there are zillions available. Pick up another and sell yours on Fleabay. It'll go for more than a new one.

obssd1958
02-24-2008, 10:08 AM
Another easy method, is what is known here as "Beagling". It is essentially using a strip of metal-based tape on each side of the cavity to enlarge the resulting casting. Simple and it works. The entire article, with very easy to follow instructions, is on the Castpics website. Near the bottom of the page here, under Shootin" Links, click on CastPics. After a few seconds it will take you to the main index. On the left hand side, click on "Articles by Members". That will bring up 2 columns of great articles (careful - you could find yourself sidetracked all day reading these articles and not get anything else done!![smilie=1:) The article you want is the 18th down on the left side and is called "Bullet Diameter Enlargement". I have used this method to take boolits that were dropping between .429 and .430 and make them come out to .433 to .434.

Good reading, good luck, and be sure to let us know how you choose to remedy the issue!

Don