PDA

View Full Version : Messing around with the 32-20

martinibelgian
01-17-2015, 01:23 PM
I've had this little rifle for quite some time - a 30-20 built on a BSA 12/15 rimfire action - so firing pin conversion, and installation of a new (old, actually - a take-off palma match barrel in .308) barrel. As the barrel is standard .30, I now have a .30-20.
Up to now, I shot the rifle with smokeless loads, and it has proven to be quite accurate indeed - but something was missing: after all, 32-20 is a BP cartridge...

So I started out by looking for the right bullet - without much luck: most are made for lever-action rifles, and pretty light (115-120gr), and don't really have the lube capacity for BP. So I designed and had made a 151gr RN bullet.
With the 1st bullets cast, time to get some cartridges loaded. unfortunately, my die set (.30-20 redding) isn't ideal for cast bullets, so as best as I could I put in some powder 16.4 grs of Swiss 1 1/2Fg) and a panlubed bullet, went to the club and shot them at 75m (82 yds).
To state that I was surprised by the results is an understatement - the group - except a single shot - was the size of the 10-ring of the ISSF 25m pistol target, this shooting prone, with sling, no support. a No scope either, just PH7A aperture rear and BSA aperture front.
I'll try and shoot a few more tomorrow, and see if I can confirm the potential of this load: I took a bit more care in loading (borrowed a .30 M1 expander from a friend, used a card wad between bullet and powder), so ...
Bottom line? The 30 (32)-20 seems to potentially be a very accurate short-range target round, lots of potential there. Never underestimate this little cartridge...

MT Chambers
01-18-2015, 08:34 AM
Are you breachseating?

martinibelgian
01-18-2015, 09:27 AM
No - fixed ammunition: Remington cases with the bullet seated on top of the powder. When closing the action, the cartridge is tightly seated into the throat, however.

martinibelgian
01-18-2015, 01:47 PM
Well, it was not a fluke - fireformed some remington brass today with essentially the same load. used the 1st target to adjust the sights, and then shot a 97 prone, with sling no support - so there's also shooter error in there. Just blowtubing between shots (a single, long breath down the tube) - and the load was 16.5grs of Swiss 1 1/2Fg, not 17.5. Kinda like shooting a .22 on steroids. I pulled 1 shot into the 9 at 8 o'clock, but the remaining 9 shots would make about 2 MOA. Even put 3 through a same hole...
The bullets were seated a bit too far out, so chambering did require some effort - but accuracy was there. If I show up with this at a match, I'll turn some heads, shooting this pipsqueak alongside all those .40's and .45's... But it does seem ideally suited for 100yds competition. The smaller calibres do have a reputation of being pretty finicky with BP, but this one for sure isn't - this is just the 2nd time out, I haven't even fired 50 shots with this combination.