PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Lube-A-Matic - base plug

SlowBurn
01-17-2015, 01:06 PM
I have a new-to-me, older RCBS Lube-A-Matic that I want to completely disassemble for a thorough cleaning before I start using it.

Is the base plug at the bottom of the lube chamber intended to be easily removable?

The parts list diagram in the http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/Lube-A-Matic_Bullet_Sizer_Lubricator_Instructions.pdf shows the part (#24) but it isn't clear if it is intended to be removable or not. I'm looking for the board's wisdom experience before reaching for a bigger hammer.

Thanks,
-Steve

sometimes a bigger hammer is the answer, sometimes it isn't...

Mk42gunner
01-17-2015, 01:14 PM
In a word, NO.

It has been a few years since I had my Lubamatic unbolted from the 2x6, but I have never even tried to take that part out. I wouldn't mess with it unless it was leaking badly enough that a gasket between the press body and bench didn't stop the leak.

Robert

SlowBurn
01-18-2015, 09:55 PM
In a word, NO.

It has been a few years since I had my Lubamatic unbolted from the 2x6, but I have never even tried to take that part out. I wouldn't mess with it unless it was leaking badly enough that a gasket between the press body and bench didn't stop the leak.

Robert

Thanks Robert - I haven't used it yet, I just wanted to start off as clean as possible.

3/4" PVC sprinkler hose, wrapped in shop towels can remove a lot of nasty stuff from a well warmed lube chamber

-Steve

the hammer is put away, for now...

dragon813gt
01-18-2015, 10:33 PM
I've had them out of both of mine and nothing bad happened. I completely rebuilt mine and new base plugs where part of it. If it's not leaking I would say there is no need to remove it. They're easy to remove and reinstall if need be. I've never had the leaking issues that some seem to have.