PDA

View Full Version : Check Out My Forcing Cones, . . .

Jeff R
01-17-2015, 01:01 AM
Thanks to Cast Boolits, I am trying to elevate my shooting to the next, elementary level. I have started to look at things more critically, like the forcing cone in my 1984 vintage Stainless SBH in .44 Mag. I thought that the barrel might have some thread crush narrowing, as it will lead up a little right in front of the frame. I have been reading about fire lapping it, to try to remedy this. With the barrel clean, and a tight fitting patch on a jag, I can't feel any change in resistance as I pass the patch through the barrel where the threads are. So, maybe that's not the problem.

I think the rough finish on the forcing cone might be a problem though. Here is the forcing cone on my .41 Mag Blackhawk:

To the naked eye, it looks very smooth. Here is the forcing cone on the .44 Mag:

127700 127701

Those rings almost look like threads. They can't be doing anything good to the Boolit as it enters the barrel. Is there a hand tool a guy can rent to pull into the barrel to smooth that area? Or, is it a job for a gunsmith? I don't want to Bubba-ize my revolver, but it doesn't seem like it would be rocket surgery.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Rocketing towards 200 posts!

hithard
01-17-2015, 02:18 AM
looks like a cheese grater.....use some lapping compound on a wood dowel with the appropriate taper. Take your time doing it and you'll be fine. Just don't get all eager beaver on it.

Hickok
01-17-2015, 08:17 AM
I firmly believe that there is something that is being taught to people majoring in business, engineering, and management in colleges, as well as in the corporate board rooms in America today, "Let the consumer be your quality control. They will fix it themselves, many will not notice it, and few will send it back for repair. We can sell cheaper and faster that way, for a bigger profit."

The last three foreign guns I bought were a CZ, a Uberti, and a Pedersoli. Quality and workmanship were excellent.

The last three American made firearms I bought were "kit guns", all the parts came in a box, it was up to me to get everything working right.

warf73
01-17-2015, 08:39 AM
Hickok I would agree with you in this day and age but he said that firearm was made 30+ years ago.

Jeff R your cone looks like what mine did before I sent it back to Smith and Wesson, as for a tool I don't know but there are folks on here that will steer you right.

Hickok
01-17-2015, 11:12 AM
Woops, didn't think about it being 30+ years old.:oops:

My reading got ahead of my comprehension!:killingpc

lawdog941
01-17-2015, 12:31 PM
Check with DougGuy, he has experience with this. He also has put info out here on how to do it yourself. Just search for his posts.