PDA

View Full Version : You guys should be ashamed...........

Jeffery8mm
02-23-2008, 11:19 PM
Thanks to y'all, I now have a new hobby!!!!!!!!!! I love this stuff and want to say thanks for all the great info I gained here before I ever turned on the burner!! I smelted about 40lbs of WW today and that is all it took to get me HOOKED!!! I felt confident because of the info I had read here, Such as smoking the muffin pan. Not nary a stuck ingot. Also fluxed with Gulf brand parafin as mentioned by someone here. I have alot to learn but feel good that this comminity is here and will help a newbie out. Questions will be sure to come. Once again, thanks guys. I have been reloading for about 2 years and this is just an extension of that hobby. My wife has taught Chemistry on the High School level and was actually right there with me to do the whole smelting/fluxing. She thought it was cool and was explaining the chemical change and yada yada yada. But it was great to have her involved in my NEW habit, uh hobby

Oh, and all this started because I wanting to cast my own egg sinkers. I figures If I can make sinkers I can make bullets to. We shall see.

Thanks
Jeff

Sprue
02-23-2008, 11:31 PM
Well the whole shooting arena is quite addicting. Casting and reloading is just as much fun as shooting itself. I was out today and found a few small Cast Iron pots, 3 ladles, 3 moulds, about 2k .429 lubed and sized bullets and also procured 3, yes 3 rcbs lube/sizers. It was a nice haul :-D

Oh yea.... Welcome !

hotwheelz
02-23-2008, 11:33 PM
"my name is __________ and Im a caster" Dont worrie there is a support group for you right here.........:-D

calsite
02-24-2008, 12:56 AM
Well about 3 1/2 months ago I became a member of this lead boolit support group as well. Now almost 100 posts later. When your starting to count perfectly sized and lubed boolits to help you fall asleep please don't wait get help...... Welcome home!

Lead melter
02-24-2008, 08:19 AM
Oh, and all this started because I wanting to cast my own egg sinkers. I figures If I can make sinkers I can make bullets to. We shall see.

What kind of heresy is this? Using perfectly good WW for egg sinkers is a crime punishable by death by burning at the stake, or buying the next round of brews. It's your choice.

Bret4207
02-24-2008, 08:32 AM
Welcome to the asylum.

Jeffery8mm
02-24-2008, 11:39 AM

What kind of heresy is this? Using perfectly good WW for egg sinkers is a crime punishable by death by burning at the stake, or buying the next round of brews. It's your choice.

You are correct. I dont imagine that the WW will ever see the water!!!!!

Thanks for the welcome guys!!

Jeff

threett1
02-24-2008, 01:32 PM
Hah, another one hooked!!:twisted:

Wayne Smith
02-25-2008, 11:01 AM
Hah, another one hooked!!:twisted:

Nah, another two are hooked. What a blessing to have a wife along side and interested. Does she shoot, too?

1Shirt
02-25-2008, 03:33 PM
Wayne has it right! If the wife doesn't shoot yet, introduce her to it slowly.
Ah yes, the romance of it all. Just think, casting together in the moonlight, loading at dawn, and shooting till sundown. They could write a country and western song with something like that. The future of our hobby, guns, and the right to own them may hang in the balance of having enough of the female persuasion interested in or participating in hunting,shooting, reloading casting, etc. So Jef, be thankful for your better half, and welcome to this group!
1Shirt!:coffee:

jjamna
02-25-2008, 03:48 PM
You should feel blessed. All I get from my wife is complaints.
Welcome
Jeff

quickshot
02-25-2008, 04:28 PM
welcome to your new addiction!

jleneave
02-25-2008, 07:13 PM
Wayne has it right! If the wife doesn't shoot yet, introduce her to it slowly.
Ah yes, the romance of it all. Just think, casting together in the moonlight, loading at dawn, and shooting till sundown. They could write a country and western song with something like that. The future of our hobby, guns, and the right to own them may hang in the balance of having enough of the female persuasion interested in or participating in hunting,shooting, reloading casting, etc. So Jef, be thankful for your better half, and welcome to this group!

Wouldn't it be great if your wife could introduce some of the aspects of our hobby to her students?!! A teacher would be a great ally to have in our hobby. You should try to get her involved in every aspect of the hobby if she is interested. Just think of the number of people she can have a positive effect on. God knows we can use all the help we can get in this day and age. Wouldn't it be terrific if she could come up with a whole lesson plan about the chemical reactions that take place while casting bullets, not to mention the chemical reactions that take place when when a round is fired. Of course she would probably have to be "politically correct" in the way this information is presented to her class. Am I way off base here?

And by the way, WELCOME to the site to the both of you!!

Jeffery8mm
02-25-2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks guys. Karen does shoot with me on occasion. She has iin her side of the gun safe her very own 8mm Mauser K98. I hate that thing, but she loves to shoot it. She is not a big women but she handles the recoil quite well. Also she has a Taurus model 605 Hammerless 357. I load up light 357 stuff for her and she blast away. She is teaching this year but not Chemistry. She was offered a high school GED class for the kids that are WAY behind and just arent going to graduate. Some of these kids DONT need guns!! She is a doll!! One thing she did get alittle loud about though was when I started asking about her muffin tins. I was tolld to GET MY OWN!! LOL

Thanks again for the welcome
Jeff

1Shirt
02-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Yep, stay away from mama's cooking stuff or you will not hear the end of it. Try the good will stores for cast iron stuff. The ones that make the corn shaped or the fish shaped lead ingots are great. You can usually pick them up for just a few bucks, and they won't bend on you. Good luck!

crabo
02-26-2008, 05:26 PM
Jeffery, stay away from the group buy forum. I stayed away from it for about 6 months and then I slipped over to the dark side. Once you go in, it is hard to get out. It takes a lot of will power to not get in on the group buys. I am in several, and they just looked so good, I had to buy. Now I am looking at the up coming buys and almost join some even though I don't have a gun to shoot that bullet in.

Crabo

Leadforbrains
02-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Guys I hope you all don't mind if I jump in this thread and offer up my thanks as well. I have lurked around here for awhile soaking up all the useful info that everyone has to offer.
I have to date 327 lbs of ingots from wheel weights that I have collected, and over 150 lbs of pure lead. I have finally started to cast boolits for my to .45 autos using Lyman's Devastator hollow point mold. Everything that I have tried has turned out great beause of this forum and everyone here.
Jeffery8mm you are right this hobby is very addictive. When I get to fill up a 5 gal bucket with wheel weights I feel like I have won big at a card game. I can't even begin to find the words to describe the feeling I get when those big shiny boolits drop out of the mold.
THANKS EVERYONE!