PDA

View Full Version : You'd think a cop would know better!

cbrick
01-15-2015, 10:35 PM
While it's true the gun never should have been loaded in a display case the other side of the story is . . . When someone hands me a gun I DO NOT put my finger over the muzzle and then cock it, but hey, that's just me. Anyone suspect the cop was fired for being a little less than bright?

Rick

GLASGOW, Ky. (WBKO) Posted: Sat 10:39 PM, Jan 10, 2015-- A former Glasgow police officer is suing a Barren County gun store after being handed a loaded gun from under the counter and accidentally shooting his finger off.

According to a civil lawsuit filed Friday, former Glasgow police officer Darrell Smith went into Barren Outdoors back in March and asked to see a .380 caliber handgun.

He then held the gun after receiving it from under the counter. Smith began to examine the gun and then cocked it. The gun was actually loaded and fired, shooting off part of Smith's index finger.

Smith's attorney, Alan Simpson, said the incident caused him to lose his job as a police officer, and the suit is to make up for income he's lost. "He's permanently disfigured. He went through a lot of pain and suffering. He's gone through several surgeries. He's got a lot of medical bills that have to be paid. It ended his career and he's going to have a lot of lost income."

The lawsuits claims the Barren Outdoors employee didn't do a safety check on the gun, and therefore Smith is suing for negligence.

We've reached out to Barren Outdoors. At this time they have no comment.

bassnbuck
01-15-2015, 10:40 PM
Sounds like Smith was a tad bit negligent also. You cant fix stupid.

osteodoc08
01-15-2015, 10:42 PM
Wow. Incredibly stupid. On both parties, but the cop made a pretty bone headed move. Thankfully it was just a finger tip and not someone else dead.

Beagle333
01-15-2015, 10:55 PM
All guns are loaded. All the time. Period. Even when disassembling one and cleaning it,...... shotgun, Glock, or muzzleloader, I don't point the unmounted barrel at anything I couldn't live with if it had a hole in it.

RoyEllis
01-16-2015, 12:30 AM
All guns are loaded. All the time. Period. Even when disassembling one and cleaning it,...... shotgun, Glock, or muzzleloader, I don't point the unmounted barrel at anything I couldn't live with if it had a hole in it.

Yes sir! First thing about guns I taught my kids & grandkids is that every gun is considered loaded until you personally open the action and check it, all while keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and always keep your finger off the trigger until you have sights on your target.

wv109323
01-16-2015, 12:37 AM
Let me get this, the gun store is negligent but the cop did nothing wrong and should be compensated because he cocked the gun and pulled the trigger.. It seems like the phrase "Dumb and Dumber" applies.

Artful
01-16-2015, 01:12 AM
Actually worked the slide and pulled the trigger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_uLzg8T7WE

hithard
01-16-2015, 01:24 AM
Racks the slide and doesn't look, maybe a little slight of hand there......?

Notice he kept that left hand down for a bit, ......

Notice he also throws the gun back up on the counter, ya he just shot his finger off, but notice he throws the gun on to the counter as if it no longer posed a danger, Hey you just found out it was loaded and now you continue to treat it in an unsafe manor..........

tunnug
01-16-2015, 01:26 AM
******* is also sweeping the people to the left of him, lucky none of them got hit..
edit; too slow on the typing ...........

cbrick
01-16-2015, 01:27 AM
Thanks Art, I couldn't get the video to work.

Yep, that's how I do it. 1> Place finger over muzzle. 2> Rack slide. 3> Pull trigger.

Rick

leadman
01-16-2015, 01:52 AM
Even if someone checks the gun to see if it is empty and hands it to me I still do another check on it. Cop is lucky he did not shoot one of the other customers. Dumb & dumber at work there.

btroj
01-16-2015, 09:54 AM
If you don't put your finger over the muzzle how can you be sure the bullet actually comes out?

What an idiot. Sadly, the justice system will make him, and his lawyer, wealthy.

cbrick
01-16-2015, 10:02 AM
If you don't put your finger over the muzzle how can you be sure the bullet actually comes out?

What an idiot. Sadly, the justice system will make him, and his lawyer, wealthy.

Probably so but his parasite deserves to be wealthy for all of his pain and suffering, as for the cop it must be painful to be that stupid. Why can't I ever get on a jury like that?

Rick

kevmc
01-16-2015, 10:03 AM
even if someone checks the gun to see if it is empty and hands it to me i still do another check on it. Cop is lucky he did not shoot one of the other customers. Dumb & dumber at work there.

x2!!!
Always...check it yourself!!!

EMC45
01-16-2015, 10:17 AM
He was sweeping the 4 further down the counter like crazy. Never "clear and safed" the pistol, had his booger hooks all over and in front of the muzzle= he was completely at fault. He needs to be grateful he didn't hit some of the folks down the counter. Losing his job would be the least of his worries I think then.

robg
01-16-2015, 10:26 AM
even if i see someone check i check myself .my father always said unloaded guns kill more people than loaded ones.

dakotashooter2
01-16-2015, 10:29 AM
Smith's attorney, Alan Simpson, said the incident caused him to lose his job as a police officer,

Understandably.... Who wants an officer on staff that is careless enough to shoot himself................... I'm not saying he shouldn't get anything but I see shared liability..... Store pays his medical expenses........................

btroj
01-16-2015, 10:49 AM
He is an absolute idiot. He wasn't very well trained in firearms safety, that is quite obvious.

I can check a firearm as many times as I want and I still point it in a safe direction before I pull the trigger.

freebullet
01-16-2015, 11:09 AM
Seems fishy. How does a display gun wined up loaded? Someone put a round in it. Shop owner has an argument that the cop loaded it.

HeavyMetal
01-16-2015, 11:28 AM
I suspect freebullet might be right!

As usual to "fuzzy" to see clear details.

Had a La Habra cop sue Walther and remington bck in the 80's: he purchased a used PPK as a back up gun with a box of ammo at a local gunshow.

Took it to the PD range and second round blew and a section of the case came down through the trigger guard and slashed to snot out of him.

Damaging the nerve in his trigger finger, he can never feel again, so might shoot someone because he can't feel the trigger!

The punch line is about half way the the trail Remingtons expert got a look at the box of ammo: Box says FMJ ammo inside are all HP's!

Expert proclaimed them reloads, confirmed as Remington never used that particular HP, and no liability.

Walther guy says reloads are prohibited for use! I know all this cause his wife worked in the same plant I did, at the time, and told us the old man was looking for full retirement bennies!

Case dismissed, cop still has job writing tickets on a motor unit. Cost them a bundle on legal fees cause they lost.

LUBEDUDE
01-16-2015, 11:38 AM
...... .my father always said unloaded guns kill more people than loaded ones.

That's why my most frequented guns in my safe stay loaded! :)

Trust me, I DON'T get complacent.

R3104D3R
01-16-2015, 11:42 AM
Thanks Art, I couldn't get the video to work.

Yep, that's how I do it. 1> Place finger over muzzle. 2> Rack slide. 3> Pull trigger.

Rick

Maybe he was told that plugging the barrel with a finger prevents it from firing, like a Loonie Tunes episode.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/123441/3053638-download.jpg

nicholst55
01-16-2015, 02:12 PM
all guns are loaded. All the time. Period. Even when disassembling one and cleaning it,...... Shotgun, glock, or muzzleloader, i don't point the unmounted barrel at anything i couldn't live with if it had a hole in it.

^^this.^^

smokeywolf
01-16-2015, 02:31 PM
Since I was 2 years old. ALL guns are loaded all the time. Treat ALL guns as though they are loaded; even after checking them. NEVER point a gun at something that you don't want to kill. It's not complicated. Anyone who can't understand this should not be driving, voting or reproducing.