PDA

View Full Version : Uncoating the Alternatives (The "J" word)

curt48mauser
01-15-2015, 08:42 PM
OK guys,

I know this segment is focused on putting stuff on our Pb projectiles, but I have had a can of 7.62 x 54R setting in my garage for about 7-8 years (maybe a little more) which was to say the least, . If I had to speculate about its storage conditions prior to my purchasing it, I would say it was used as part of the foundation to an outhouse that flooded. Anyway, enough history. My intentions were to pull the bullets and use them after cleaning them up in walnut media. Epic fail.
As time went on, I got some steel pins and a rock tumbler from Harbor Freight. The brass started coming out pretty good and it got me to thinking, why not try running some of those pulled projectiles through to see if they might clean up too. Here is a bit of a picture run to show where I started and what I wound up with.
Moderators, if this should be moved, please let me know, I am not looking to screw up here.

Here is the first impression, seems ok.

But once You get into the package, sadness. This stuff would fire about once every ten rounds, and I also got to experience my first, second and third hang-fires.

Well, I pulled a bunch of them and ran them through the rock tumbler and I learned that there was more junk on them then I expected. I took two passes through the tumbler, but here are the results. (I did throw in a couple of copper pennies to hopefully transfer some copper, oh yeah and some lemi shine.)

All in all, I was pretty happy with the outcome.

Lucky Joe
01-15-2015, 11:26 PM
Great pictures Mr. Mauser sir, glad to see you monkeying around with this stuff, it will keep you sane, I think, I think, I think. You have proven it is possible to "make a silk purse out of a sow's ear". I'll give you a call this weekend.

LUBEDUDE
01-16-2015, 10:50 AM
Them J-words are purdy. Looks like a good salvage!

mdi
01-16-2015, 02:26 PM
Didja clean the cases too? If they be brass w/Boxer primers it would be worth it...

Bayou52
01-16-2015, 02:49 PM
The brasses should tumble and look like new, too.

curt48mauser
01-16-2015, 07:58 PM
Lucky Joe; Sane? You know what I do for a living, sorry but that bridge isn't open for commerce right now. ;)
Lube Dude; I like your salvage line, I'm kinda frugal by nature so just letting them go by the wayside wasn't an option. Besides, I kinda think they will look pretty nice back in some Nagant brass.
mdi and Bayou 52; I had a pretty long learning curve with that brass. The first time I ran it through the pins, I almost think I ground some of the corrosion back into the brass. They came out rather dull looking. I have enough to try again if I manage to get a boxer conversion that seals good, but I am not pursuing that right now since I have a fairly good supply of boxer primed brass.
Thanks for the replies guys, this was just one of those projects that I wanted to try.