PDA

View Full Version : My son's first handgun

375supermag
01-15-2015, 08:33 PM
Hi...

My son just turned 21 years old on Sunday.

He was given his choice of firearms as a birthday gift and spent a good many months trying to make up his mind.

He already owns a half-dozen or so rifles and shotguns, several of which he bought for himself.

He finally decided on a handgun and chose a Beretta M9A1 in 9mm. I bought it last week and gifted it to him Sunday.

We took it over to the gun club along with a few other handguns to shoot it for a function check and to break it in.

It performed flawlessly with a couple different types of factory jacketed loads and a handful of jacketed hollowpoints.

All in all, he ran about 200 rounds through it and at 7 yards was able to keep all his shots in the 8-ring. He had ordered a rail-mount light with a green laser sight and while it was not completely sighted in, by the end of our little shooting session he was hitting a 6-8" gong at 25yds with something approaching regular monotony.

The fixed sights are kind of small and non-adjustable, so the laser was a real asset in hitting what we aimed at.

Other than the 1911-pattern autoloaders, I am pretty much a revolver kinda guy, but I have to admit this Beretta is a pretty nice handgun and is easy to shoot well. My son believes it fits his hand very well...better than other autoloaders and he has tried quite a few Sigs, Glocks, etc.

Love Life
01-15-2015, 09:09 PM
IME/O those are very solid, reliable, and enjoyable guns. I hope he enjoys it for many years to come. Hope he has a progressive reloader!!

Mk42gunner
01-16-2015, 02:57 AM
We switched over to the Beretta from the 1911A1 and various S&W and Ruger .38's while I was in the Navy. At a guess I owned (okay had custody of) somewhere between 600 and 800 of them during my last eight or nine years on active duty.

The only thing I can remember that ever went wrong with any of them was the locking block breaking on some, not all, of them. It usually happened at somewhere around 1500-2000 rounds. Put in another block and things were good.

If I were to buy a Beretta, I would buy a couple of locking blocks and put them up where I could find them if necessary.

Robert

bobthenailer
01-16-2015, 09:37 AM
Perhaps you should offer the 375 super mag to him for his next handgun !

EMC45
01-16-2015, 10:24 AM
We switched over to the Beretta from the 1911A1 and various S&W and Ruger .38's while I was in the Navy. At a guess I owned (okay had custody of) somewhere between 600 and 800 of them during my last eight or nine years on active duty.

The only thing I can remember that ever went wrong with any of them was the locking block breaking on some, not all, of them. It usually happened at somewhere around 1500-2000 rounds. Put in another block and things were good.

If I were to buy a Beretta, I would buy a couple of locking blocks and put them up where I could find them if necessary.

Robert

That just happened a couple months ago when I was "qualling" for my job on base. Guy's gun locked up and was done. Had to use one of the spares from the instructor staff. P.S. I got 45 outta 45!:-)

375supermag
01-16-2015, 07:20 PM
IME/O those are very solid, reliable, and enjoyable guns. I hope he enjoys it for many years to come. Hope he has a progressive reloader!!

No...just me and my RockChucker.

I am about 1000 cases behind in loading 9mm right now. and about the same amount behind in .45ACP...and about the same behind in .38Spl and .357mag...and, well you get the idea.

Been tied up with home improvement/repair projects...just no time to reload.

My son still needs to run another 2-300 rounds(factory) through this Beretta to get it broken in, anyway. Once that is accomplished, we will load up some test rounds to see how it likes my reloads.

375supermag
01-16-2015, 07:24 PM
Perhaps you should offer the 375 super mag to him for his next handgun !
Hi...

I could offer it to him, except for two very good reasons.

One...that I am not quite finished with it yet.
And two...he already thinks of all my guns as his anyway.

dubber123
01-16-2015, 09:20 PM
After you get it broken in, slug the barrel if cast is in order. Don't be surprised if you need .358" or .359" boolits. I have a few 9's, and .358" is the smallest that any of them need. Have fun.

Side by Side
01-17-2015, 09:26 PM
I purchased a 1911 for my son , best handgun