PDA

View Full Version : proper grip for bisley

jmpen
01-15-2015, 07:34 PM
Long time lurker, first post. I just purchased a lipseys sbh bisley in 44 with the 3.75" barrel. Im just shooting mid level loads (240 keiths over lil gun) and im having a heck of a time coming up with a good grip. If i ride high on her, every so often i get kissed by the hammer pretty good( breaks skin) and if i try the pinkie under it feels like my pinkie isnt going to stay connected. I have big ol paws and was wondering if someone could clarify the best way to ride the bisley grip on this short 44. thanks in advance

Para82
01-15-2015, 08:49 PM
I have that exact same revolver and really like it. I don't really have a problem with the grip but my hands aren't that large just kinda normal size. Sorry. Maybe see if you can find some after market grips for more purchase. I have shot factory 240 loads and 240SWC cast with mid range load of unique so far in mine.

boatswainsmate
01-15-2015, 09:22 PM
http://www.sixguns.com/BookOfThe44/bot44c26.htm

jmpen
01-15-2015, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the link mate. Love the gun and its crazy accurate, guess i might try some custom stocks and see what happens

bedbugbilly
01-15-2015, 11:54 PM
Just curious - are you shooting it "Bisley style" with bent elbow and wrist?

44 Special
01-16-2015, 10:44 AM
Just curious - are you shooting it "Bisley style" with bent elbow and wrist?

Yea, you've pretty much got to shoot the Bisley grip one handed up at eye level with the elbow and wrist bent.
Your other hand goes behind your back. Legs, one in front of the other.

That's how they did it in Bisley, England at the turn of the century.
I've seen pictures.

44man
01-16-2015, 11:07 AM
I can't use a Bisley, hands and knuckle are too large. I never get the same grip and groups suffer. It's purpose WAS one hand shooting to get sight alignment easier. I find it worse with heavy loads and boolits.
You might try holding lower like a hog leg needs and hold tighter to prevent the dreaded "ROLL."
A custom grip would help. It also helps to not use super smooth, slippery grips.
Many guys are making the switch, changing out grip frames to the hog leg. Most forgiving ever made.
Not to detract from those that like them, some love them but we are all built different.
Some kind of filler behind the trigger guard would help. I need super glue to maintain a grip! :holysheep

RobS
01-16-2015, 11:23 AM
I shaped and sanded my factory grips so they fit my hand. I hold low on the grip with my pinky finger on the grip bottom and shoot two handed. Having the grip shaped as it is when I pick up the revolver my hand just slides right in place each time and there is no guessing as to if I have the same grip or not. Recoil for me is better than a regular hog leg grip even before I shaped the grips. Similar loads (boolit/powder combo and velocity) from my Ruger Bisley 45 Colt is actually more pleasant than from my SRH 454 Casull which as the Hogue tamer grip and having the weight from a much heavier revolver which helps its recoil. The Bisley grip is a love it or hate it relationship for many.

Larry Gibson
01-16-2015, 12:20 PM
The Ruger Bisley grip is different than the Colt Bisley grip of 100+ years ago. Thus what was used 100+ years ago probably isn't going to be used today. I shoot my Bisley Ruger with "modern" holds from one handed arm extended to Weaver and Isosceles standing and supported. I have smaller hands so the grip is comfortable but with larger hands simply put the little finger under the bottom front of the grip as is also done with the standard Colt/Ruger "plow handle" grip. You should not ride high up the grip because the hammer can bite you when cocking the revolver but primarily because you want to maintain a straight back trigger pull.

Larry Gibson

bedbugbilly
01-16-2015, 12:47 PM
I posted my question to the OP on if he was using the "Bisley hold" as a matter of curiosity as I just got a Uberti Bisley this past summer.

As Larry points out, the Ruger Bisley is different from the traditional Colt Bisley - it's more like the Elmer Keith design if I remember correctly. I've never handles a Ruger Bisley though.

On my Uberti - I have smaller hands and find that I can shoot it both ways - like a traditional plow handle and the Bisley style. However, I do much better with the Bisley style which is the way it was intended to be shot. I want to see what a Bisley was all about - mines in 357 but I shoot 38 spl. 38 Colt Short and Long - smokeless & BP in it. I like it a lot and enjoy it - but my next two revolves - a 32-20 and a 45 Colt - will both be in the traditional Colt SAA style. I'm in the "old fart" class and now only "plink" - but I really don't think my wrists could take the heavy recoil of a more powerful cartridge (than the 38/357) when shooting a couple hundred rounds at a time.

Good luck with your Ruger Bisley jmpen - you'll get it figured out and hopefully really enjoy it!

44man
01-16-2015, 01:03 PM
The angle to the trigger is very important. Get it in as straight a line you can. Seen a picture of Taffin with a high hold and his finger was 45* to the trigger.
But Larry, look at your knuckle behind the guard. Mine will not fit there. Steel against mine is PAIN!
But remember I shoot only heavy hunting loads too. I am first a deer hunter. Try a 330 gr at over 1300 fps a few times.
I hate the wood Ruger panels on the SBH too. Blood will fly. Hate the sharp, square trigger guard and use Pachmeyer grips.127616 My hold on a BFR .500 JRH.
Good Uncle Mike's grips.

M-Tecs
01-16-2015, 01:11 PM
I fall into the love them camp. I am 6' 4" with large hands and they work very well for me with an normal to low hold. I normally shoot with both hands but single works great also. I have both the standard and bisley frames on Rugers and I have standard Colts. I shoot best with the Bisley's.

For hand size 2XL gloves are as large as I can normally find but they fit OK after some stretching.

44man
01-16-2015, 01:29 PM
I fall into the love them camp. I am 6' 4" with large hands and they work very well for me with an normal to low hold. I normally shoot with both hands but single works great also. I have both the standard and bisley frames on Rugers and I have standard Colts. I shoot best with the Bisely's
Low hold is where it is. Creep up high and it will not work as good. Heavy recoil is not tamed with the Bisley. It was not designed for the heavy stuff we shoot today. Back then a 240 to 250 gr at 1000 was heavy. To get accuracy from a Bisley, your hand should never move. The gun should raise your arms/arm and the gun should be in the same place. Not closer to the hammer to cock faster.

44man
01-16-2015, 02:09 PM
I shot IHMSA for years and the S&W, RH or Bisley never worked for me. Each needs an exact hold that can't be made after you clear and ground the gun for target setters. The hog leg could be shifted as distance changed to get in align. When shooting 200 meters you can't have a grip a thousandths of an inch off unless the hog leg. You change barrel rise too much. Guys let a six gun "roll", just where is the barrel at boolit exit? The revolver POI is 100 % dependent on barrel rise.
I say brass is an enemy to accuracy and also say the grip is. Strength to hold a grip in the same position through recoil is important. Why do you think the SS Olympic shooters use a grip like a glove?

ole 5 hole group
01-16-2015, 02:27 PM
Google Jerry Miculek and review some of his videos and files - He will demonstrate how's it's done - you just refine it a bit for your style and physical makeup. Everyone has their own style after awhile, but learning from one of the best is always a good idea.;)

I have lost more than my share of skin & blood from the 50 caliber cannons and have adapted accordingly - glove and a slightly lower grip position - still bites the trigger finger now & again but that is the nature of the beast with over the top loads - keep the velocity down to "sane" speeds and you don't need to have any "skin" in the game.

As far as maintaining a consistent grip - with that single action your off-hand thumb should be doing the cocking anyway - same with the double-action revolver if you're allowed to - shooting bullseye with one hand - there your grip changes slightly but the distance is only 25 yards so you're golden anyway. You'll notice the bullseye shooters when shooting slow fire at 50 yards - they cock the revolver on the bench with the off-hand thumb, then come up and deliver. That's where the bottom feeder shines - no worries about grip change.

44man
01-16-2015, 02:57 PM
Watch the speed shooters, muscles and veins bulge with the pressures to hold. No wimp holds to be seen. Even the 1911 shooters have more strength then I have today with my big revolvers. They are younger of course but even Jerry has a HOLD. He is amazing.
Bob, rest his soul, also held his guns and did not let them get away from him even with light loads. You can not do what he did if the gun changes position in your hand.

Larry Gibson
01-16-2015, 05:24 PM
44man

Appreciate the concern for the "rapped" knuckles. However, the OP's concern was not such as he posted; " I just purchased a lipseys sbh bisley in 44 with the 3.75" barrel. Im just shooting mid level loads (240 keiths over lil gun) and im having a heck of a time coming up with a good grip." So we see he isn't shooting 330 gr bullets over 1300 fps. Thus the solution you offer is not a solution to his problem.

My Bisley is a 41 Magnum and I shoot 210 gr bullets at 1450 fps so they do recoil a tudge. I also shoot full magnum 270 gr loads at 1400 fps out of my FTBH 50th Anniversary with the old style original smaller grip and it also does recoil a tudge. If one holds a proper grip on the Ruger SA's with standard or Bisley grips the handle rotates in the hand and ones knuckle does not then get smacked. It is when one tries to "muscle and vein" hold the SA revolvers that things go awry. Then the Pachmyer grips as you show get the knuckles down away from the rear of the trigger guard so they don't get smacked. That is indeed a solution if one wants to go that route. It's not necessary with the loads the OP is using. He just needs to get and maintain a proper grip on the Ruger Bisley. If he does that he'll do fine.

Larry Gibson

W.R.Buchanan
01-16-2015, 07:37 PM
What I have come up with on my Bisley's is this. This is my SBH with barrel cut to 5".

Randy

.22-10-45
01-16-2015, 08:09 PM
"What was used 100+ years ago probably isn't going to be used today"...Well I guess I am the odd man out, as I shoot a circa 1903 .32WCF. & 1905 .38 Colt Bisleys. The original hard rubber grips were too nice to risk, so I replaced them with vintage stag. My hands are about med. but I found the Bisley grip + the rough textured stag give me the most comfortable and stable grip of any S.A.A.

jmpen
01-16-2015, 08:29 PM
wow, thanks for all of the advice. I think with some more trigger time, working on using a "crush" grip, as well as some custom stocks i should be gtg. thanks again for all of the advice.

Vulcan Bob
01-16-2015, 08:35 PM
I'm new to the Bisley as well. One thing with my SS 4 5/8th in .45 Colt was that the wood grips were simply too thick. Broke out the sand paper and thinned em out to suit me. Now my "pinky under hold" with a firm grip works.

44man
01-17-2015, 11:47 AM
I am the odd man out since I shot heavy bows and my knuckle is twice as large as it should be. It is fully 1-1/8" wide and deep. Get that thing behind a guard once! [smilie=b: I hate a SBH with wood panels.
But Larry, rotation in the hand will always be wrong, even with a light load. The hardest thing to control is a free barrel rise, even a C&B should be in the same place out of recoil.
I hold a .22 pistol the same as my .500. I say to let your arms and body control rise but if you have 1/4" dowel rods for arms, bets are off. You need some strength for a revolver. I see it as I get older and shake more with enough grip.

enfieldphile
01-17-2015, 12:33 PM
My hand is average -

I used to have a SBH .44 mag (7.5") and a SS (6'). I was never really comfortable w/ either grip.

I replaced both w/ Bisley guns (see pic below). The Bisley grip works for me! :-P The fluted-cylinder .44 below is one of 3000 made in 1986. I saw the ad for a used .44 Bisley on Guns America, 98%, but no pic. Missing the box. For $259.00, I took a chance. When we opened the box, we were shocked to see one of the rare, fluted cylinder guns! ;)

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/Bisley%2022/RugerBisleysX2.jpg

44man
01-17-2015, 01:33 PM
My opinion is they are dead fugly. No gun will ever have the appeal of the Colt SAA.
I am going out of place again and hope mods do not get angry, but show groups from Bisleys. I can't, so bad I tossed targets, only had one once. 50 yards or 50 meters to 100.
I hate to step over the line but gun pictures alone are not how they shoot.

enfieldphile
01-17-2015, 04:14 PM
:veryconfu
My opinion is they are dead fugly.

I feel the same way about all the Kardasian's! :mrgreen:

But someone must think they are attractive!:veryconfu

show groups from Bisleys.

25yards, off hand, 200 grain saeco TC boolit, 9 grains Herco, 12 shots.
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/000_0005-1.jpg

Ramar
01-18-2015, 10:03 AM
My big hands did take a beaten until I started to add a Tyler T-grip to my offending handguns. They're ugly but no more bloody hands.
http://www.t-grips.com/
Ramar

Certaindeaf
01-18-2015, 10:16 AM
I'd love to get me a birdshead bisley blaster.

44man
01-18-2015, 10:17 AM
My big hands did take a beaten until I started to add a Tyler T-grip to my offending handguns. They're ugly but no more bloody hands.
http://www.t-grips.com/
Ramar
Yeah, me too and my friend had a few Freedoms and he could not shoot them either and he is small. He sent off for the rubber grips and it made a world of difference. I have cut my middle knuckle to a bloody rag too many times.
Had another friend here that loved the Bisley but he taped his trigger finger with Band Aids (How do you cut that finger?) and wore a heavy glove.

44man
01-18-2015, 10:37 AM
:veryconfu

25yards, off hand, 200 grain saeco TC boolit, 9 grains Herco, 12 shots.
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/000_0005-1.jpg
Good group and shooting but try a 330 gr at over 1300 fps. I am a hunter first and second a long range shooter to 500 meters (547 yards.) With revolvers. Maybe the introduction of recoil might change your mind.

Groo
01-18-2015, 12:31 PM
Groo here
The most important thing is the grips fit YOU.
44man can't shoot Bisley grips but can colt style.
I shoot a lot of DA revolver and shoot both DA and Bisley the same.
Colt type are more accurate for me one handed then two.
To each his own , we all don't ware the same size underware do we?

W.R.Buchanan
01-18-2015, 04:30 PM
One thing that should be mentioned here is that the Ruger Bisley Grip seems to disperse heavy recoil better than any other grip out there. This is the exacty reason why I have a Ruger SBH Bisley instead of a S&W M29 or 629.

The S&W's tend to direct the recoil impulse directly into the web of your hand. This get old fast.

The Ruger Grip, on the other hand, directs the recoil towards the heel/palm area in between your thumb and first finger of your hand and thus spreads the impulse over a larger surface area which in turn decreases Perceived Recoil.

I knew this after the very first shot.

It should also be noted that the large majority of Custom Sixguns made into Serious Arsekickers by Linebaugh and Bowen are made off Ruger Bisleys. Go to www.customsixguns.com (http://www.customsixguns.com) and have a quick look at the short video on his homepage, which pretty much shows why.

My grip above and again below (I did not invent this but learned it from them that knew) allows independent movement of my trigger finger which is necessary to good trigger control and yet with the thumbs over locked insures a good grip on the gun that is also easy to repeat and controls recoil well. Also shown below you can see how the Sixgun grip is merely an outgrowth of the Standard Weaver Style grip used on Pistols. The transition between the two comes very quickly and integrating the cocking of the piece during the flow thru positions 4 and 5 during the draw comes almost naturally. (I use the 5 position draw method.)

It is one thing to be able to shoot revolver accurately,,, It is quite another to be able to actually get it in the game in a timely manner. If you can't get the gun out of the holster and on target fast,,, it really doesn't matter what grip you use.

One other fine point is the sights on that gun, A Weigand Front with interchangeable blade with a white line and a Bowen Rear with a white outline. This sighting arraignment allows quick and precise alignment, and the versatility to change front blades to accommodate low and high power loads.

Randy