PDA

View Full Version : candle wax boolits

stumpjumper
02-23-2008, 07:22 PM
i was playing around in my reloading room laboratory, and i made up some candle wax boolits. i shot two of them and then my gun locked up. i finally figured out that my primer had backed out. anyone else had this problem, and anyway to keep them from doing this. thanks

Nueces
02-23-2008, 08:16 PM
SJ, the standard procedure has been to drill the flash holes larger, then to carefully keep those cases away from standard loads for evermore. Some guys will color the modified case heads or bodies with dye markers for ID.

Have fun. I once had a minor rep within the family for shooting roaches using candlewax slugs in a Smith M-19. One apartment had little purple splashes all over. I figured it was a fair trade for having to live with the bugs. :drinks:

Mark

StrawHat
02-24-2008, 08:04 AM
SJ, the standard procedure has been to drill the flash holes larger, then to carefully keep those cases away from standard loads for evermore. Some guys will color the modified case heads or bodies with dye markers for ID.

Mark

Stumpjumper,

Another way to really segregate the cases is to file some notches in the rim. Unlike the ink, the notches will never wear off.

Nueces,

Nice to know I am not the only one to use firearms to exterminate insects!

Wax bullets? Who'd of thought!

Bret4207
02-24-2008, 08:36 AM
Wax bullets- You youngsters gotta read your history. My copy of Bill Jordan's "No Second Place Winner" has a whole bunch of info on making wax bullets or boolits or waxlits..... oh boy! I coined a new name! WAXLITS!!!!!! Anyway, they work fine if you drill out the flash hole and dedicate that brass to was. Mine were my only 50 nickle cases back when I did it.

4thebrdz
02-24-2008, 12:07 PM
In RVN we'd pull the 5.56 FMJ and just dig the case mouth into a bar of soap. Soap rounds were for the rats and worked real well.

cbr
02-24-2008, 04:10 PM
I tried the same thing recently and locked up a model 10. Drilling out the primer flash hole took care of it as others suggested. Those wax bullets are tons of fun, no more stray dogs eating my dog food!

Nueces
02-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Yeah, Bret, that's actually where I got the idea. And, later, when Skeeter wrote a Shooting Times piece on 'favorite loads', Jordan made Skeet's eyes roll by submitting his wax load. I got to have dinner once with Jordan when he came to Austin and visited Jack McBride, of McBride's Guns, my alma mater gun store. He used to bring in old belts and holsters for Jack to sell. Still have a couple of 'em.

Mark

Wax bullets- You youngsters gotta read your history. My copy of Bill Jordan's "No Second Place Winner" has a whole bunch of info on making wax bullets or boolits or waxlits..... oh boy! I coined a new name! WAXLITS!!!!!! Anyway, they work fine if you drill out the flash hole and dedicate that brass to was. Mine were my only 50 nickle cases back when I did it.

Nueces
02-24-2008, 04:29 PM
StrawHat, as a responsible adult, I now use a Bug Blaster, which I've mentioned here before. The device fits into the muzzle of my Walther PP CO2 pistol, and is charged with table salt. It's perfect for flying pests. I've even taken gnats off of the computer screen. The family hears "POP", "heeheehee".

Mark

Nueces,

Nice to know I am not the only one to use firearms to exterminate insects!

Wax bullets? Who'd of thought!

stumpjumper
02-24-2008, 04:50 PM
anyone remember what size they drilled the flash holes out to. another thing i think might of had something to do with it was the few times i did it before i was using standard primers. and this time it was magnum primers. i like the little extra zing from the magnums. would that have made a difference.

sav300
02-24-2008, 08:59 PM
Why not try shotgun primers?
Have some speer plastic cases and projectiles that use a large pistol primer,works good :-)
sav300

oso
02-24-2008, 09:12 PM
anyone remember what size they drilled the flash holes out to. another thing i think might of had something to do with it was the few times i did it before i was using standard primers. and this time it was magnum primers. i like the little extra zing from the magnums. would that have made a difference.

1/8" same as the Speer plastic cases. I use large primer pocket Peters 38 Special cases.