PDA

View Full Version : Redding C frame press

spily
01-15-2015, 01:23 PM
Hi all, I have just acquired an old (in excellent condition ) Redding cast iron C frame press . And what i find odd is the way the ram rolls over the top of the stroke. Obviously its designed like this , but why?. What are the pro's n cons?. Anyone any ideas.
I have been reloading about 45 years using various types of press but nothing like this, thanks in advance.

salpal48
01-15-2015, 03:20 PM
If your talking about The brown Crinkle finish with the "C" arms. Pro Are It It is a great looking machine. The con are I believe the C arms were weak in construction. not saying It does not work good but Not strong enough. . Most Of the Loading Co made adaptor to fit. There are Pictures in the 1962-65 handloaders Digest
. Original shell holder are difficult to find. also was hand Primers
This is a similar design to the Lachmiller Shot shell Conditioner/ sizer

Char-Gar
01-15-2015, 03:30 PM
I have no idea why Redding chose to design their presses like that, but their past and current turret presses do the same thing. I suppose all of their presses do.

I don't find it to be a good thing or a bad thing, just a little difference that needs to be taken into account when adjusting dies to fit a press.

spily
01-15-2015, 04:02 PM
Many thanks for your replies. The press is green and not brown and takes standard shell holders.

Reverend Recoil
01-16-2015, 12:14 AM
siply, you have a good press. I have a Redding press just like yours. It works great. I use it to load my 600yd service and match rifle loads. I get X-ring accuracy from these loads.

spily
01-16-2015, 04:24 PM
siply, you have a good press. I have a Redding press just like yours. It works great. I use it to load my 600yd service and match rifle loads. I get X-ring accuracy from these loads.

RR, thanks, yes it shure is a solid press, but the rollover of the ram leaves me wondering what the logic is behind it.

MattOrgan
01-16-2015, 05:18 PM
My first press was a Redding, just like you have acquired. I purchased it and a set of dies when I was 14 years old. ( over 40 years ago; time does fly). With the break over it was different than my cousin's RCBS press, but always worked smoother. I'm not sure why they are designed this way, but Redding is a good company, I'd bet a call or email would get a quick answer. The press is still working just like when it is new, smooth and more than stout enough to do anything short of swaging. I prefer the open 'C' design, easier access, especially keep bullets lined up when seating. I load all my long range match .308, .300 Winchester Magnum, and .223/5.56 on mine. Good find, I think you will enjoy it.

Blanket
01-16-2015, 05:46 PM
It's a Redding #7 and if you want to sell it pm me, my favorite press and I bought mine in 1968

spily
01-16-2015, 07:34 PM
It's a Redding #7 and if you want to sell it pm me, my favorite press and I bought mine in 1968

Hi, no I deffo do not want to sell it and anyway the shipping would be prohibitive as I am in the UK, LOL

Blanket
01-16-2015, 08:20 PM
Then I will share, when doing pistol rounds, 1 stroke of the handle = 1 operation, cuts the amount of manipulation in half. With rifle rounds you are better off sizing with the die as the stop but bullet seating is the same as pistol. I use another press for sizing rifle rounds but do all pistol and bullet seating on the Redding. By the way I paid $64 US for the press, a Redding powder trickler (the best), a Herters scale, and a set of Pacific 303 British dies and shell holder, all new at the Aledo Ill gunshow. Russ

mdi
01-17-2015, 02:13 PM
Today it's called "cam over". Instead of having the ram stop at it's full travel, continued movement of the handle will start to lower the ram. Kinda like a piston in an engine, the ram hits "Top Dead Center" and begins to travel down from there. Some say it's more "accurate" for adjusting the die than using some sort of stop to limit ram upward travel...

spily
01-17-2015, 04:05 PM
Then I will share, when doing pistol rounds, 1 stroke of the handle = 1 operation, cuts the amount of manipulation in half. With rifle rounds you are better off sizing with the die as the stop but bullet seating is the same as pistol. I use another press for sizing rifle rounds but do all pistol and bullet seating on the Redding. By the way I paid $64 US for the press, a Redding powder trickler (the best), a Herters scale, and a set of Pacific 303 British dies and shell holder, all new at the Aledo Ill gunshow. Russ
Hi blanket, I paid £25 which is approx. $38, I think. However , you had a better deal than me with the accessories, Cheers, Paul .

GLL
01-17-2015, 04:43 PM
Anybody got a photo to post?

Jerry

Blanket
01-17-2015, 10:15 PM
If someone wants pictures of a Redding 7-1 press pm me with your email and I will send pics of my original. I will buy all of them I can find as long as someone does not want a stupid price for them.

Reverend Recoil
01-18-2015, 07:40 AM
Here is mine.

nitro-express
01-19-2015, 09:13 PM
Your "C" press was called the Redding Model No. 7. The turret version of this was called the Redding Model No. 25.

The 25 also has the cam over, as it uses the same or similar looking handle, ram, and parts in between. I have become very accustomed to the cam over, and I prefer it to the LEE "Stop-Before-The-Top" design. Search for the review by Howell in Handloader #83 Jan/Feb 1980. IMO the new T-7 took turret presses to the top. I bought an extra turret for my Model 25, so I would have a spare. Redding only had a few left.

The design mechanical advantage, and the dimensions of materials in the 25 (and the Model 7) put it in the medium strength class, slightly below the original RC (rockchucker) press.

I wouldn't hesitate buying any Redding press, I already own a Model 25, and a Ultra-Mag. Bottom line, reloading is not a one press fits all, buy what suits your needs and preferences.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg25/nitro-express/IMG_20150119_190636_zps69f9cdbc.jpg (http://s244.photobucket.com/user/nitro-express/media/IMG_20150119_190636_zps69f9cdbc.jpg.html)

LeadHead72
06-09-2017, 12:38 AM
If someone wants pictures of a Redding 7-1 press pm me with your email and I will send pics of my original. I will buy all of them I can find as long as someone does not want a stupid price for them.

Blanket, it just so happens that I am planning to sell mine due to having about a dozen other presses and not enough room/need for it. I'd take $60. There's also a T-25 with two turrets that was a "rescue" which will be going up for sale as well, although it's stripped and needs paint. Anyone know of a good source for a color match for Redding Green? Crinkle paint would be really nice...
Funny you should mention the Aledo show. IIRC, the previous guy who organized it passed away not too long ago, and a friend/neighbor of mine runs it, now. It's only about 20 minutes from here.