PDA

View Full Version : GC Muzzleloader bullets

Blammer
02-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Ok, was reading on another thread and someone mentioned them.

So, here's the question.

What velocity do you NEED a GC muzzy bulllet?

Who makes em?

I'm only interested in the 50 cal versions.

Rattus58
02-23-2008, 06:41 PM
1100 fps on up..... sheeesh..... do you NEED a velocity? They just look cool man... I have a mold for a 50 caliber gas check bullet from Mt. Molds... designed by a gentleman John Mosely. Accurate and fast.

A gentleman seen on some threads here, like the conical thread next to this one, Bullshop Bullets may make some gas check bullets for 50's as well.... but I roll my own.

Aloha... Tom :cool:

idahoron
02-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Use a paper patch. These bullets are 500 SW bullets. I paper patched them then sized them to .501 the bullet is a GC type but I don't use one.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Paper_patch_501.jpg

I got under 3" groups at 100 yards the first time out. I am going to play with powder next time. I am going to try some Pyrodex P and see if that will tighten the groups. Maybe even a felt wad over the powder. I can't wait for the weather to get better. Ron

northmn
02-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Idahoron. Always wanted to see someone try that that, I do not own a fast twist rifle but keep getting the itch to build one. Its actually traditional and should wotk in any fast twist gun. What type of rifle do you shoot? Please keep us posted.

Northmn

idahoron
02-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Yes this is a traditional twist and is legal in, I think any state. I know it is here in Idaho. The two rifles I built are TC Renegades. They have stainless steel barrels 1-28 twist. They have Lyman 57 SML peeps and 17 AML globe front sights. With Hornady Great plains bullets I get under 2" groups and a lot of the time they are under 1" at 100 yards. I want to keep working with the 500 SW bullets to see if I can make them as accurate as the Hornady. Those big 458 gr bullets are what my son would like to shoot a moose with. This is the gun, it is sighted in for target shooting out to 300 yards. Ron
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/2250Far_speaker.jpg

Rattus58
02-24-2008, 09:29 PM
Nice looking rifle... I've played with paper patches some and haven't found them to be any more accurate than my other bullets when paper patching the same bullet. Paper patching fills the bore with a lubed surface that is bore sized, and this is what I feel is important.

If you are getting 2-3" at 100 yards and can keep your bullets in a pie plate with your hunting duds on, you definitely are ready for elk...

Oh... you say you size your bullets with the patching on to .501, I am assuming your bore is .500?

Aloha.... :cool:

idahoron
02-24-2008, 10:24 PM
No my bore is a little bigger than that. I have not measured it but I am thinking it is more in the .504 range, I think that was what GM told me. I size with the paper on back to .501 but the bullets are much tighter than you would think. There is no way they can slip back out if you tipped in nose down. The paper just holds it in place. Also by sizing after the paper on it impregnates the paper with lube.
My rifle is a single trigger and my son has the same one with Double triggers. Both guns are very accurate and we can hit two liter pop bottles at and over 200 yards from field rest's. Our max for the first shot is 150 yards. I have them sighted in farther than that but that is only for target or in case something goes bad and a guy has to clean up a mess. Ron

miestro_jerry
02-25-2008, 01:50 AM
I shoot a Grey Hawk and just may look into using the S&W 500 Mag type lead bullets and GC then. Sounds interesting, but I still haven't found time to play with paper pacthes.

Jerry

Rattus58
02-25-2008, 02:07 AM
.504 .. ? Now that is interesting. Knight used to use .504 like the White did later on. That is why the older Knights that I'm familiar with shot just as well as did my Super 91 with a .003 groove.

What overall size are you wrapping to before you "size" the bullet and what is the overall size of the bullet as cast?

Aloha... :cool:

idahoron
02-25-2008, 09:11 PM
The bullets fall out of the mould right at .501 to .503 depending on where you land the mic, the top of the bullet seems to be a slight bit larger in diameter than the bottom ring is. Then I run them through the .501 sizer to true them up, most don't touch all that much. Then I wrap them with air mail 25% cotton paper. I get a bullet that is right at .507 to .508 or so.
Then I put a little Hornady Great plains lube on them and run them through the sizer again. They end up after I size them about .5025 I think the paper swells back out just a pinch.
When they go down they make solid contact with the rifling's and resist enough that they would in no way back out if carried in the field.
A lot of guys don't like to size after wrapping them. So far I have seen good results. Ron

Rattus58
02-26-2008, 01:22 AM
I can't see any reason why your bullets wouldn't just fine squeezed down after patching, after all, if the paper becomes uncompressible, the bullet lead is going to squeeze down to make room fer it.

If you have a .504 bore and your bullets are .503 or less, its very easy to see how you've picked up accuracy with patching. The question I would have is, would a .508 bullet squeezed down to .504 be more or less accurate than if patched.

Your paper must definitely be swelling if its grabbing the bore of a .504 after sizing to .501. That by itself is just too much "windage" to be accurate.

Aloha... :cool:

idahoron
02-26-2008, 07:27 PM
I got a Lyman great plains bullet mould. Midway says they are supposed to to
.508 but they are tapered in design. When I poured them I got .497 on the bottom ring, .503 on the center two rings and .504 on the top ring. This bullet was the worst for accuracy of any bullet I have ever shot. I did everything to get it to shoot. I have used a over powder wad. I have paper patched it, I have paper patched it with a over powder wad. You name it this bullet sucks in my gun. Hornady bullets are .500 at the bottom and .510 at the top ring. That barrel likes a big Dia bullet.
I have good luck with the Hornady Great plains bullet so that is why I tried the Lyman. I went to the 500 SW mould even though it is smaller and it is doing very well. I know that the smaller bullet goes against that way of thinking but the Paper patched bullet even though it is smaller works well. I can't explain it. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Ron

Blammer
02-26-2008, 07:48 PM
are GC Muzzy bullets only practical in the inline ones?

idahoron
02-26-2008, 08:20 PM
I use GC bullets but I don't use GC's My gun is a traditional style gun with a fast twist. Ron

NSP64
02-26-2008, 10:42 PM
I had tried a 50-70 boolit as cast (.515/450gr) loaded to engrave. in my inline 1-28 and it didn't shoot worth a hoot. Thought about PP a 500 s&w, and just might since you seem to be getting somewhere with it.