PDA

View Full Version : Sulfer for chamber casts

JohnH
09-26-2005, 07:00 PM
I understand it is possible to use sulfer to make chamber casts. Anyone know how this is done?

Bass Ackward
09-26-2005, 07:41 PM
I understand it is possible to use sulfer to make chamber casts. Anyone know how this is done?

John,

Oh Boy ........ :roll:

Interresting on how people look for alternatives. Can't help you on the sulfer. But I will advise that you don't try dog stool. Sure, it dries and hardens in about a week, but the rust it causes ain't worth the effort. And then there is the reaction of your friends on the range when you fire.

JohnH
09-26-2005, 08:09 PM
Well BA, perhaps I will get to come out of my room though, mixed up some 20:1 and cast some boolits for the Max from that, the RCBS 35-200 shot particularly well with it, also mixed up 100 pounds of WW/lead at 1 to 1 for shootin' too. Just happened to see the sulfer in the grocery store (a 4 oz bottle on the medicine shelves) and remembered reading about using it for casts. Figured I couldn't go too far wrong for a buck nineteen.

drinks
09-26-2005, 09:28 PM
Johnh;
A 4lb sack of sulphur is about $4 at the garden center.
Clean and degease the chamber, put a paper plug about 1/2" into the rifling, drop a piece of COTTON string in the chamber, no synthetics, have a wood dowel longer than the barrel and smaller on hand.
Place some sulphur in a small pan with a pour spout, using , preferably an electric hot plate, slowly heat the sulphur until it melts, do not let it catch fire, the smoke is poisonous.
Pour enough liquid sulphur in to just fill the chamber, wait until the sulphur is completely hard, this depends on how large the chamber is and how much sulphur has to cool down.
Carefully push on the cast with the dowel while carefully pulling on the string, should come out easily once it starts to move.
Unlike Cerrocast, the dimensions do not change minute by minute and hour by hour, so how soon you measure it is not important.
Sulphur is one of the few elements that does not change dimensions when going from a liquid to a solid state.
I have set hundreds of machinery anchor bolts in sulphur, really works fine for that.
Don

sundog
09-27-2005, 09:25 AM
I used sulphur to chamber cast an unkown at that time rifle which turned out to be a .22 CHeetah Mk I. My smithy said use it instead of ceresafe, so I did. Turned out great. But there's more. He told me to mix in graphite as it will release better. It released very easily after cooled. I'm sold on this method, because it worked for me the first time I ever tried it. I don't know the best ratio, but somewhere between 10-25 percent will get you started. I used a piece of poly tube through the receiver pressed against the rear of the chamber to keep from spilling it all over. Stuck a funnel in it and poured until I could see it in the tube. Got an absolutely perfect cast. First try. I melted my mix in one of those old cast iron frying pan ashtray's. Cupple spoonsful of sulphur, a little graphite, a little heat, and voila - liquid. sundog

Bret4207
09-27-2005, 04:35 PM
Cerrosafe is available from Brownells. Thats what I've used. It works good, shrinks only a tiny amount and is reusable.

KCSO
09-27-2005, 05:19 PM
I have some sulphur chamber casts that I did in the 70's and they are still good. Back in the old days that is what we had and it worked well. I know use cerrosafe, but I keep a tub of Sulphur just in case.

charlie / sw mo
09-27-2005, 07:48 PM
Cerrosafe is available from Brownells. Thats what I've used. It works good, shrinks only a tiny amount and is reusable.

i just ordered 1/2 lb from midway--cost me 5.45

charlie in sw mo