PDA

View Full Version : Help with new Lee 20# pot

straightarrow
01-14-2015, 10:02 PM
Ordered a new Lee 20# lead pot from Cabela's and the pour handle won't move and it will not pour. Is there something you have to do before the first use. The handle did not move when it was empty either. Nothing in the directions other that fill it with lead and go.

Boolit_Head
01-14-2015, 10:16 PM
The 20 pounders have a screw adjustment, read up on that it may be screwed down so the valve won't open.

VHoward
01-14-2015, 10:27 PM
I am assuming you have lead in the pot now. With the pot heated up to tempurature (650 degrees or higher), put a catch pan under the spout. The valve rod should be threaded. The valve rod could be rotated too far clockwise. Using I believe a slot blade screwdriver, turn the valve rod counter clockwise a couple of turns and test to see if you can open the valve to let lead flow. If that works, keep turning the valve rod counterclockwise until you get the flow rate you want.

straightarrow
01-14-2015, 11:44 PM
Thanks, will give it a try in the am.

websterz
01-18-2015, 02:51 PM
Yep, mine was the same. Let everything melt and then start turning the rod counter clockwise until it drips then go the other way.

newrib
01-18-2015, 03:08 PM
If you google lee 4-20 there is a PDF on the internet with pretty clear directions on how to adjust your lead pot. I had to look this one up yesterday and I used the bent paper clip (as per instructions) to clear the nozzle.

fragman
01-18-2015, 07:21 PM
You need to loosen the adjustment screw before you can use it. The instructions fail to mention this. Mine was the same.

Cowboy_Dan
01-18-2015, 09:37 PM
I recently recieved one purchased from Amazon. The instructions (at least now) do mention that the screw must be loosened, but give little info beyond that. Thanks to this thread, I will be able to adjust it with full confidence instead of being hesitant and using trial and error.

straightarrow
01-18-2015, 11:33 PM
Yup, just needed adjustment, I was a little leary to try it until I checked here first.