PDA

View Full Version : scoping a 1903-A3 ?

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-14-2015, 09:55 PM
I picked up a 1903-A3 sporter just before Christmas , It came with a Pachmayr tip off scope mount but I am looking for another way to scope the gun as I have no scopes that will fit the pachmayr mount , It requires a scope with no bulge around the turrets or far forward or rear turrets

I was sort of hoping to keep all the holes on the side that already has holes drilled and tapped

weaver has a side mount for the 1903 but not the 1903A3

what other options are out there that I am not turning up with a web search

or do I just get it drilled and tapped for the redfield top mount used on the 1903A4

Scharfschuetze
01-14-2015, 10:53 PM
I think that your best option is your final suggestion although it will require having your bolt bent to clear the scope.

You might also research S&K Instamounts as well as B Square for their solutions to mounting a scope without any further drilling and tapping.

Original 1903A3 mount and scope. You can see how the scope base dovetails over the 1903A3 rear sight base.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-14-2015, 11:09 PM
my bolt is already bent and safety an after market lower profile if that makes any difference to the answer

what is it about the left side of the 03-A3 receiver that is different from the 03 ?

flounderman
01-14-2015, 11:12 PM
You didn't say if the bolt was bent for a scope or not. I'm assuming the scope is mounted over the center. I have a Pachmayr mount that I can check to see if the holes are the same as the weaver side mount base. I have several top parts to the weaver side mount and some bases, if you are interested. pm me.

flounderman
01-14-2015, 11:16 PM
My pachmayr mount is a top mount so I can't check hole spacing. If you give me the measurements of the hole spaceings I can compare them to the weaver base. I hadn't seen your comment your bolt was bent for scope when I sent the last post. Daryl

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-15-2015, 12:01 AM
the pachmayr has 4 holes in a rectangle pattern 2 7/8 wide by 9/16 up and down even if the holes didn't line up but the side mount would fit and work well I would have it
drilled and tapped as long as I could keep all the holes on the side

thanks

I laid things out to take a picture and now I can't find my digital camera , I just used it Sunday so it could not have gone that far

Scharfschuetze
01-15-2015, 12:07 PM
what is it about the left side of the 03-A3 receiver that is different from the 03 ?

The left side of the two models is the same.

The main difference between the 03 and the 03A3 receivers is the elevated rear sight base on the bridge of the 03A3.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-15-2015, 05:00 PM
The left side of the two models is the same.

The main difference between the 03 and the 03A3 receivers is the elevated rear sight base on the bridge of the 03A3.

thanks , then I suspect Weaver is concerned with clearance or unbent bolt handle issues , when they say the side mount fits a 1903 but not a 1903A3

Scharfschuetze
01-16-2015, 02:53 AM
Well, that raised base for the aperture sight on the 03A3 may be the issue they are referring to as it does add some height to the bridge.

I just measured the difference between an 03 and an 03A3 action. The 03 from the top of the bridge to the bottom of the action is 1.41" and the 03A3 is 1.48." I don't know if .07" is enough to interfere with the Weaver base or not.

DCM
01-17-2015, 11:51 AM
A Redfield junior mount with 1" rings would be my personal preference for what you seem to be trying to do.
This mount actually needs to be mounted slightly left of center to be installed correctly.
The mount will align roughly with the left of the rear sight base.
It will look wrong to untrained eyes but if one looks at Real 03A4s one will see that is how it is done.