PDA

View Full Version : Brass case to finished boolit conversion chart?

Huvius
01-14-2015, 08:51 PM
Not wanting to re-invent the wheel or going down dead ends which could be avoided[smilie=b:, I was thinking that a handy "done that" conversion guide would help newbies like myself.

Is there any interest in a thread compiling what brass works well for which finished boolit and what dies were used to acheive the best results?
Or, perhaps, individual threads with the finished boolit in the thread title so the information is better accessed?
There is such a wealth of information here on this topic, a compilation would be quite a resource!

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
01-14-2015, 10:58 PM
So like a thread which says some thing like: "For a 3xx grain .500 HP bullet using Brians dies trim a 45 acp jacket to .8xx" and use a 2xx grain core (or a certain factory mold [ie, Lee 230 TC])"

Is this what you are looking for? Something to get people in the ballpark with jacket length vs core weight?

runfiverun
01-15-2015, 02:46 AM
something like 32 acp brass with a 98gr rcbs rnfp core to make xxx bullets.
or just plain ol 9mm brass for XX gr 40 cal bullets type stuff?

Huvius
01-15-2015, 09:27 AM
Well, there are a couple stickies up top are something like what I was thinking.

How about stickies for the boolit diameter, so there would be a sticky for .45cal, one for .40cal, .22cal, 308cal, 375cal etc.
Then, anybody with experience (good or bad) making that sized projectile can post their info and pictures in that thread instead of starting a separate thread. There, info about what cores, what brass, dies, what press etc. from a number of members would be readily accessable right there.

What really got me thinking of this is my .458 experiment. Then I notice that .333" can be easily made from .30Carbine brass, then I measure a 5.7x28 fired case and, wow, boolits for a 303Brit would be very easy with this brass. The list could go on and on of course.

runfiverun
01-15-2015, 12:58 PM
boolits for a 303 brit are easily made from 5.7 brass. [accurate ones too]
it only takes about 5-6 steps to get it done.

Huvius
01-15-2015, 02:02 PM
boolits for a 303 brit are easily made from 5.7 brass. [accurate ones too]
it only takes about 5-6 steps to get it done.

That is exactly what I mean.
Using the 303 as an example, what are the steps and what are your results?
If this has already been outlined in a previous thread, then a link would be appropriate without rehashing it all.
The point is, I could see the steps being: annealing, expanding, make and seat core, and then one press in a point forming die and that's it. I am a simpleton, so may be totally missing something so you can see how helpful others' experience is.

BT Sniper
01-15-2015, 04:18 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?46614-Bullets-from-Brass-the-list&highlight=

an old thread but has some info. Could certainly use a little updating.

BT

Huvius
01-15-2015, 06:21 PM
Brian, that is a great thread!