PDA

View Full Version : Take a bow to a gunfight?

Hogtamer
01-14-2015, 06:29 PM
Depends on who's shooting! Sorry archery is my first love and I just can't help it sometimes......
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2zGnxeSbb3g
But his bow has good CAST!

Nueces
01-14-2015, 06:39 PM
Very cool

Hogtamer
01-14-2015, 06:41 PM
And good form can be distracting to the adversary...
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WRc1Jv1j3nk

dakotashooter2
01-14-2015, 07:25 PM
I'm pretty skeptical about his penetration into the chain mail. The tips on his arrows are of the type you see on youth arrows and provide very poor penetration even in a soft backstop. In his speed shooting he never really draws the bow back more than 6"-8". Full draw on most of the targets he shoots, with any bow over about 35# would likely result in full penetration he never gets even close to that. He is undoubtedly fast. I'm just not sure his arrows would have any effect in the real world.

Bad Water Bill
01-14-2015, 09:37 PM
From some books I have read the plains indians used a less than 4 foot bow that developed around 100# of pull.

If that is true how much draw would one need to produce a killing shot?

Artful
01-14-2015, 10:05 PM
10 arrows in 4.9 seconds - pretty good

12 shots in a revolver 2.99 sec - better
16 shots in a revolver 4 sec - still better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FbUMqoyjDw

Hogtamer
01-14-2015, 10:19 PM
BWB: A 4' bow would create a severe string angle (the farther you pull it back the sharper the angle of the string at the nock) so a short draw would be the way to shoot. Reckon enough to kill buffalo.

Artful: I did start out by saying it depends on who's shooting. Miculek is amazing for sure!

Artful
01-14-2015, 10:31 PM
I'm pretty skeptical about his penetration into the chain mail.
I'm just not sure his arrows would have any effect in the real world.
Not all chain mail is created equal...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqPB3h1kjcg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4gPgHyaG1Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAJPoFL6fLw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CU_cY_9UHE

dakotashooter2
01-15-2015, 11:06 AM
From some books I have read the plains indians used a less than 4 foot bow that developed around 100# of pull.I won't argue that fact but the bow in this example is very thin limbed and appears to probably be fiberglass or similar composition, which would limit its draw weight. One should note that while he is right handed he shoots the bow with his arrows on the right side (left handed bow) which is not common today and one of the reasons he can shoot so fast. But..By doing so you take the arrow out of alignment with the eye and target making it harder to be accurate. It would be a fine method where accuracy is not a factor such as an artillery piece. Regardless he still manages to have MOB (Minute of Body) accuracy. I'm more amazed that he can nock each arrow as fast as he can. Unless he pre-aligns them that would be a task in itself. I also suspect he has to use a short draw to achieve the speed. The recovery time for a string to achieve it's resting point would increase with a longer draw as would the string pinch on the fingers. You will also notice he stages the arrows individually between his fingers and starts at the top and works down as he nocks them on the string using a 2 finger draw rather than 3. A 2 finger draw requires some pretty good finger strength. I'm not saying it isn't an amazing feat ..just that he is pre-staging some of the elements of his shots which probably would not be practical "in the field".

RogerDat
01-15-2015, 06:18 PM
All analysis of potential draw weight is sort of pointless, the dang arrows went through the chain mail. It was I think myth busters or possibly a history channel show on weapons that showed the flat sided long point arrows shown as being used in medieval times were effective against armor of metal plate in addition to chain mail.

Of course the ancient bowman could prepare additional arrows in hand prior to attack. No different than a civil war soldier loading extra cartridges in their ammo pouch or loading the chamber under the hammer for a C&B revolver and an extra cylinder.

Clearly it takes practice but in cultures that valued skill with the bow such as the Mongols or Native Americans I'm sure practice from childhood was the norm. Taught by adult instructors who had excellent technique, most probably a technique that was proved in the field during battle and in hunting.

When he puts 11 arrows in the air at once he does not start with 11 arrows in his hand pre-arranged but with some of the arrows pre-staged in the ground. Can't think of any reason a line of bowman preparing for battle, Indians preparing for an attack, or archers on horseback or chariot could not pre-stage in the ground or in a quiver.

Compared to the hand weapons of the day archery of that skill level would be a superior force.

Smoke4320
01-15-2015, 06:38 PM
That's very impressive no matter how you look at it

Wolfer
01-15-2015, 06:43 PM
There are lots of people who shoot handguns. Yet there are only a few like Jerry Miculek, Bob Mundun, Ed McGivern etc.
In the world of archers this guy will be one of those.
Im of the opinion you have to start with exceptional eye/hand coordination and finish with a lot of dedication and practice.
That he is amazing is an understatement!

bikerbeans
01-15-2015, 08:38 PM
Hog,

That guy is good. Some days I would have trouble counting to 10 in 4.9 seconds and I know it would take me all day to find 10 arrows for my bow.

BB

MtGun44
01-15-2015, 09:04 PM
The arrow point shown for the chain mail is a reasonably accurate "bodkin" point which was known to penetrate
armor and chain mail at the time. The normal British "broad head" would not penetrate armor but cut
a very wide path in an unarmored target.

http://www.museumreplicas.com/p-735-bodkin-point-arrow.aspx

http://bodkinpoint.com/pages/1/index.htm

Short pulls, yes, but I still think in an emergency close-in fight, he could probably wound and take out
of the fight, or at minimum slow down, a number of adversaries and then take time to shoot them
again more conclusively.

Impressive in any case.

Bill

LUBEDUDE
01-16-2015, 12:33 PM
Man that dude is a Cyborg!

Certaindeaf
01-16-2015, 01:03 PM
That's pretty awesome. Chainmail isn't to be confused with plate armor.. it takes about 120lbs draw weight with a good bodkin no further than 20 yards to penetrate that with a "square" shot.
But their horses were a different matter.. and were targeted out to long range.

nicholst55
01-16-2015, 02:10 PM
Let's don't forget that Lord Wellington approached the headquarters of the British Army during the Napoleonic Wars asking for a couple of regiments armed with longbows - strictly for their rate of fire! He was assured that he was a few centuries too late in making that request. Archers, especially archers with the requisite skill and experience - simply didn't exist at that late date. Still, an interesting concept!

Certaindeaf
01-16-2015, 02:33 PM
It's pretty interesting that the English are now disallowed bows where before they were required to practice with them regularly.. archery practice/courses of fire was the precursor of golf, pretty much.

fouronesix
01-16-2015, 04:21 PM
Thanks for posting. I watched that a couple of years ago and had forgotten all about it.
The historical context would be more like- "Taking a bow to a sword fight". Kind of puts things in perspective. Thinking of: the legend of Robin Hood, the battle of Agincourt, the Scythian archers and the character, Legolas, of Tolkien's imagination.

And yes, a sufficient bow firing a heavy arrow tipped with an angular bodkin or spire type point would penetrate most mail and plate armor of the time. Been tested and demonstrated several times. Only the very wealthy could afford the highest quality steel mail or armor that could mitigate most arrow hits… but even that yielded to the bullet in the end. Battlefield technology "wars" have been going on for a long time.

Col4570
01-16-2015, 05:25 PM
It's pretty interesting that the English are now disallowed bows where before they were required to practice with them regularly.. archery practice/courses of fire was the precursor of golf, pretty much.
Where did you get that from,Archery has never been disallowed here.

The Bodkin Point was a clever bit of design, the initial penetration on Chainmail reduced the momentum of the Arrow but the head is through the Mail,due to the relieved bit after the point the residue momentum carries it deep into the Body.

2ndAmendmentNut
01-16-2015, 05:48 PM
I enjoy archery but I by no means am an archer. Is it just me or is the guy in the OP's video putting the arrow on what I understand as the "wrong" side of the bow? I was taught that the arrow goes on the same side of the bow as the hand it is held in. Meaning if you are right handed, you hold the bow in your left hand, therefore the arrow goes in the left side of the bow.

white eagle
01-16-2015, 06:01 PM
man is he good
tried instinctive shooting may have to go back to it
way cool

fouronesix
01-16-2015, 06:18 PM
I enjoy archery but I by no means am an archer. Is it just me or is the guy in the OP's video putting the arrow on what I understand as the "wrong" side of the bow? I was taught that the arrow goes on the same side of the bow as the hand it is held in. Meaning if you are right handed, you hold the bow in your left hand, therefore the arrow goes in the left side of the bow.

No, you are correct. I couldn't tell for each shot and maybe they varied some, but it looked like he (Lars Anderson) was mostly using a form of thumb release which would allow for an offside rest. Some ancient archers used a thumb ring in combination with the thumb release method but I noticed he didn't use a thumb ring. He can also shoot left handed. :)

Certaindeaf
01-16-2015, 08:22 PM
Where did you get that from,Archery has never been disallowed here.

The Bodkin Point was a clever bit of design, the initial penetration on Chainmail reduced the momentum of the Arrow but the head is through the Mail,due to the relieved bit after the point the residue momentum carries it deep into the Body.
Sorry, was just reading between the lines and what and probably wrongly. Here, you can pretty much carry a strung bow with arrows around on the city busses.

fouronesix
01-16-2015, 10:18 PM
Here's some original armor piercing arrow points.

Moghul, tanged, ca 1600-1650
English long bodkin, socketed, ca 1370
Viking, tanged, ca 1000