PDA

View Full Version : Powder Surprise!

Kraschenbirn
01-14-2015, 06:12 PM
Stumbled across a gunshop I hadn't been aware of until this morning. On my way to a business appointment, I was driving through a small town (pop. 1200) about 20 miles from the edge of nowhere when I saw a sign for "Guns and Ammo" with an arrow pointing down the block. Always curious, I made the turn and pulled over. Walked in the door and almost coughed out my upper plate...200+ new handguns in well-lighted display cases, long-gun racks on two walls with not only AR clones but also lever and bolt-guns (both .22s and CFs) along with a nice assortment of accessories and cleaning stuff. The biggest surprise, though, was at the rear of the shop where I found a bank of shelves bearing about every Accurate, IMR, or Win powder in the catalogues...including some stuff I hadn't seen in months like HP38, AA#2, and 1680. Next to the powder were 1000/rd primers...Win, Fed, and Rem. but no CCI. (No Alliant of any kind, though...owner said they've had 2400, Unique, Red Dot, etc. on backorder for well over a year.)

Prices were about what you'd expect for a small-town operation: pretty much MSRP on the new guns, $28-$30 a pound for powder, and $32/K for primers but, on the other hand, they've got on hand what none of the big-box or discounters in this area are able to provide. Grabbed a pound of 1680 for my .22 Hornets, chatted with the owner for a few minutes, and got the shop's e-mail address before getting on down the road but I got a feeling I'll be dropping in every time I get down that way from now on.

Bill

castalott
01-14-2015, 06:20 PM
Sounds like 'Hunting Stuff' in Salem

Tatume
01-14-2015, 06:29 PM
Good job! That guys needs support; he appears to be one of the good guys.

Kraschenbirn
01-15-2015, 11:13 AM
Sounds like 'Hunting Stuff' in Salem

Nope...but I've been there. (I was born in Centralia and, until a few years ago, owned some property down that way.) This was 'Zancha's Guns & Ammo' in Lovington, IL www.zanchasguns.com (http://www.zanchasguns.com)

Bill

Cmm_3940
01-15-2015, 01:06 PM
Good job! That guys needs support; he appears to be one of the good guys.

Well, his web site just got a few hits :)

jonp
01-15-2015, 07:24 PM
Well, his web site just got a few hits :)

from me too. Guys like that need the business with the internet cutting into the local trade. It's good to help out the smaller retailers any way you can

mattw
01-15-2015, 07:47 PM
Wow, did not know about that one! I spent time growing up int Atwood, still be back that way every now and then. I will have to check them out.

MrWolf
01-15-2015, 07:54 PM
Heh, I just called him looking for some 32 long colt. Figured some smaller place might have a box or two laying around. No luck but guy is real friendly.