PDA

View Full Version : Fixed 6 on a #1

timspawn
01-14-2015, 03:54 PM
I am thinking of putting a Leupold fixed 6X on a #1A. I am worried about eye relief. Does anybody use this set up and if so, did you have to go with offset rings? I have a Leupold 1-4 on one now with standard rings and it is a bit of a stretch for me as far as the eye relief.

skeettx
01-14-2015, 04:09 PM
So you are wanting the tube closer to the eye?
I have not found the need on my #1s but each of us is different

Mike

p.s. What caliber?

timspawn
01-14-2015, 04:14 PM
So you are wanting the tube closer to the eye?
The fixed six should do quite well with offset rings.

Mike

p.s. What caliber?

I am wondering if the fixed 6 Leupold has enough eye relief to work with standard rings. If not then I will order off set rings along with the scope to move it back closer to the eye. Caliber is 7x57 and I may put one on my #1 30-30.

skeettx
01-14-2015, 04:20 PM
I have found no eye relief issues with my 38-55
Mike

bigted
01-14-2015, 04:23 PM
I have the 1 to 4X Leopold on my 45-70 #1 with no issues. plenty of relief for me.

Doc Highwall
01-14-2015, 04:51 PM
I have found eye relief issues due to the design of the scope in question most notably the placement of the adjustment turrets. I have a Ruger No1 in 30-30 that I mounted a Leupold LPS 1.5-6x42mm that has 4" of eye relief and ended up changing it to a Nikon Monarch Gold 1.5-5x42mm that also has 4" of eye relief, the difference is the adjustment turrets are almost 1/4" farther forward on the Nikon allowing the scope to move back towards the shooters eye.

Tatume
01-14-2015, 06:31 PM
I have a Leupold 6x FX II on a Ruger No. 1A in 7x57 Mauser. It is perfect.

2Tite
01-14-2015, 07:58 PM
I have three #1's. Two are #1A's and a #1B. Leupold scopes on all three give problems with short eye relief. Do yourself a favor and get the extended rings.

Tatume
01-15-2015, 08:23 AM
I have three #1's. Two are #1A's and a #1B. Leupold scopes on all three give problems with short eye relief. Do yourself a favor and get the extended rings.

While I have no doubt that you have experienced difficulty with eye relief, and that the extended rings have helped you, the OP should try the standard rings first. I have six Ruger No. 1 rifles, and have owned others. Each and every one has worked well for me with Leupold scopes.

Different people approach the scope differently. Some need the ocular placed further to the rear than others. If the OP is like you, he may need the extended rings (that's why they sell them). If he is more like me, he will not need them.

That said, Ruger usually supplies medium high rings with the No. 1A, and I prefer low. If the OP also prefers low rings, he can contact Ruger before he mounts the rings, and they will exchange them.

EDG
01-15-2015, 02:51 PM
I have one of the older 1-S rifles in 7mm Rem Mag. I am a staunch Leupold fan but they do not have enough eye relief for me without stretching my neck. This is not so hot if the rifle has significant recoil.
You probably should shop for a scope with:
1. Long eye relief at the power you will use most. At least 4 inches.
2. It should have a tube about 2" longer than is common these days in Leupold designs
3. The turret should be sitting toward the forward part of the long tube maybe 1.5" to 2.0" inches ahead of center.

I found an older used Burris 2X7 that fit and extended back enough for me to use.

If you want a fixed 6X you might look for a Weaver K6 Micro Trac scope. Long tube, very long eye relief and the turret is forward of center. I think these were last made in the late 70s to early 80s. The previous Weaver K-6 was a similar scope but had a steel turret body. 127550 127551

timspawn
01-15-2015, 09:08 PM
I did some checking today and a set of offsets are about $60. I think I'll try the stock rings and see how they work before I order the others.

timspawn
01-15-2015, 09:10 PM
I have one of the older 1-S rifles in 7mm Rem Mag. I am a staunch Leupold fan but they do not have enough eye relief for me without stretching my neck. This is not so hot if the rifle has significant recoil.
You probably should shop for a scope with:
1. Long eye relief at the power you will use most. At least 4 inches.
2. It should have a tube about 2" longer than is common these days in Leupold designs
3. The turret should be sitting toward the forward part of the long tube maybe 1.5" to 2.0" inches ahead of center.

I found an older used Burris 2X7 that fit and extended back enough for me to use.

If you want a fixed 6X you might look for a Weaver K6 Micro Trac scope. Long tube, very long eye relief and the turret is forward of center. I think these were last made in the late 70s to early 80s. The previous Weaver K-6 was a similar scope but had a steel turret body. 127550 127551

I had one of those Weavers not too long ago. I sold it with the rifle it was on. I knew I should have kept it, it was in great shape.

Good Cheer
01-15-2015, 09:18 PM
Fixed six.
:drinks:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
01-15-2015, 09:45 PM
Timspawn,

I put a "fixed 6" on a RUGER #1 270 years ago, and there it stayed for years even though it didn't take long to realize this was a poor choice of scope.

I went that way during a period of time where there was much press about the unreliability of the variable scopes.

Stupid information and bad choice on my part.

My son who owned the rifle for years has now passed it on to a daughter, but a few years ago, after thinking and talking about it for quite awhile he made the smart move and replaced the 6X Leupold with a variable power Leupold.

Just too many times the conditions were such that 6X was too much power.

Seldom can a person NOT get it done with a 6X at longer ranges, but up close it is just too much of a bad thing.

Much better is the 2X7, 3X9 and the 3.5X10.

Once I got over the bent to follow the bad information from some quarters, I have never had anything but good and trouble free service from every Variable power Leupold I've owned.

Just the Ol'Coot's opinion.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Tatume
01-16-2015, 07:38 AM
Hi Coot,

Instead of reopening the fixed vs. variable argument, let me just say I disagree; fixed is better.

Take care, Tom

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
01-16-2015, 01:50 PM
Thanks Tom. This is one of those need to agree to disagree situations.

In our country that runs from up close and in your face to way out there, a fixed power, unless of VERY LOW power is or could be a BIG disadvantage.

I recall at least two situations where the critter I brought home was Close!!!!!!! I mean really close and as in the case where I missed a bull elk because of too much magnification anything much above 2 - 3X was a distinct disadvantage.

I learned my lesson with the bull and now make it a practice to carry the scope on it's lowest setting while in the woods. I do turn it up if time/situation allows, but the rifle is carried with the scope set to the low magnification setting!

However, I didn't learn it well enough and my wife missed the biggest white tail buck she will ever see and one of the best I have seen because her dear old husband forgot to turn her scope down from 7X to 2X - after sight in - and in the press of the moment, she could never find the critter - maybe 50 - 75yds. - in the scope.

In our situation, any magnification above the 2- 3X is a recipe for going home empty handed.

Yep, been there and done that and learn our lesson. I hope.

Have a great day.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Roundball
01-16-2015, 04:54 PM
OK, another newbie question: Have an older Number One H in .375 H&H. I have mounted a current 2x7 VX3 and an elderly 3x Leupold on this rifle and find myself having to crawl the stock due to eye relief problems related to location of the turrets. This is one rifle where one does not want to crawl the stock! The question is what extension rings would work to get the scope back enough the correct the eye relief without risking a collision with the scope. How would these rings fit onto the rifle. Thanks for your help.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
01-16-2015, 05:10 PM
Funny Roundball!

I read of this situation quite often, but in years of owning and shooting #1s and a bunch of other firearms have NEVER had the problem.

Have never seen the problem with those I shoot with and/or those I have instructed.

I really must think it is "usually" the manner in which a person mounts the rifle.

Makes me think of the little kids or new shooters which first mount a rifle to the shoulder and stand there with the shoulders reared way back and the head back almost to the butt.

They are trying to balance the weight of the firearm rather then (for a right handed person) having the left leg forward, the knee slightly bent and the weight/balance of the body forward rather then to the rear.

This rather then the typical forward movement of the upper body, shoulders and head when a rifle or shotgun is brought to the shoulder.

I'd really like to watch some shooters who have this scope problem so that I could better understand what is happening.

Are they short necked, handicapped with a neck/back problem, very short of stature or mounting the firearm incorrectly of just what, as I read of the situation, but never see it.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Roundball
01-16-2015, 05:38 PM
This eye relief problem is not evident on the other Number Ones here. One is a Number One B and the other an A. One has 4x Leupold fixed power and the other has a Burris 3x9.

timspawn
01-16-2015, 09:57 PM
Funny Roundball!

I read of this situation quite often, but in years of owning and shooting #1s and a bunch of other firearms have NEVER had the problem.

Have never seen the problem with those I shoot with and/or those I have instructed.

I really must think it is "usually" the manner in which a person mounts the rifle.

Makes me think of the little kids or new shooters which first mount a rifle to the shoulder and stand there with the shoulders reared way back and the head back almost to the butt.

They are trying to balance the weight of the firearm rather then (for a right handed person) having the left leg forward, the knee slightly bent and the weight/balance of the body forward rather then to the rear.

This rather then the typical forward movement of the upper body, shoulders and head when a rifle or shotgun is brought to the shoulder.

I'd really like to watch some shooters who have this scope problem so that I could better understand what is happening.

Are they short necked, handicapped with a neck/back problem, very short of stature or mounting the firearm incorrectly of just what, as I read of the situation, but never see it.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

I am neither short necked nor handicapped but I do have eye relief issues with my 1A's. It also seems plenty of other people (not all) have the same issue.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
01-16-2015, 10:51 PM
Timspawn,

To help me understand the issue, I hope to some day see it first hand.

If it is not a stature or some other physical situation it comes down to one of two causes.

The stance of the person using the firearm or a scope that not well designed.

As said, I really like to see the situation first hand as I have just owned to many firearms and handled to many other firearms for too many years and all without such issues to be able to fully understand what is happening.

I've had some scopes which were less then good, but they were soon replaced with those of proven usefulness.

I currently own and use a RUGER #1 "S" which is the same size as the 1A, differing only in caliber as it is a 45/70. I have had two different 2X7 Leupolds mounted on the rifle, both of which have worked fine.

On past #1s I have mounted a number of other Leupold scopes (6X, 3X9, 2X7 and 3.5X10), at least one Weaver 10X, a Lyman 10X and a Leupold 10X and none of those gave any such issues, so you might see how I am having problems fully understanding.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Roundball
01-17-2015, 05:59 AM
Still need some help on which extension rings would work. How would these rings fit onto the rifle-a Number One. Rechecked the other rifles here. The 4x Leupold is far enough for the turrets to be butted up against the rear ring and is marginal concerning the eye relief. No problems with the Burris 3x9. Would really like to use the Leupold scopes on these rifles.

Tatume
01-17-2015, 08:04 AM
You may be able to use one extension ring with your standard ring, or you may need two extension rings. Whether you use one or two of these will depend on your scope.

As produced and sold by Ruger

http://shopruger.com/Offset-Medium-Scope-Ring-with-Blued-Finish/productinfo/90276/

Same ring also available at Midway

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/681426/ruger-1-extended-front-ring-mount-4bo-matte-medium

timspawn
01-17-2015, 09:46 AM
Optics Planet has them in stock.

Tatume
01-17-2015, 09:54 AM
Optics Planet has them in stock.

Indeed, it appears that they might. However, they have the wrong picture, and you'll need to be careful that they send you the correct part. However, they do have the correct Ruger part number (90276).

http://www.opticsplanet.com/ruger-scope-ring-4bo-medium-blue-offset-90276.html

EDG
01-19-2015, 12:26 AM
It is a real problem in spite of what some people think. Crawling up a stock to see through a short eye relief scope is a very bad habit that can get you bonked on the eye brow. I like to shoot a rifle with about the same head position I used for 15 years of skeet shooting, which is approximately what anyone would use for shooting doves or quail.
It is well known around the planet that a 3.5" or less eye relief like a 3X9 Leupold on a Ruger #1 is not very comfortable to shoot.

I am neither short necked nor handicapped but I do have eye relief issues with my 1A's. It also seems plenty of other people (not all) have the same issue.

Tatume
01-19-2015, 07:15 AM
I am thinking of putting a Leupold fixed 6X on a #1A.

It is a real problem in spite of what some people think. Crawling up a stock to see through a short eye relief scope is a very bad habit that can get you bonked on the eye brow. I like to shoot a rifle with about the same head position I used for 15 years of skeet shooting, which is approximately what anyone would use for shooting doves or quail.
It is well known around the planet that a 3.5" or less eye relief like a 3X9 Leupold on a Ruger #1 is not very comfortable to shoot.

The scope the OP asked about has 4.3" of eye relief.

timspawn
01-20-2015, 12:01 AM
I went ahead and ordered offset rings. This way my bases are covered. I have a Leupold fixed 4X compact in the safe, I may try that before I buy a new scope.

Four Fingers of Death
01-22-2015, 11:02 PM
I almost exclusively use Leupold scopes and have a bunch of them. One of the things I really like about them is the easy eye relief and the fact that there is lots of it. I also have 4 No1s and three have scopes. The turrets always seem to be in the wrong spot with Leupolds on the No1s and I usually manage to get it ok, but it is always borderline. The extended or offset rings sound good.

Modern good quality and even most budget variable scopes are reliable devices and many shooters shun them in favour of 'reliable' fixed powers. This is a bit like drivers who run their headlights periodically on a trip to stop the battery being overcharged, even though we have had effective voltage regulators for a century or so.

I think it was Elmer Keith who was given a 6x scope to test and when out hunting with it was charged by a very angry bear. He threw the rifle up and all he could see was fur in the scope! That one didn't last long. I use 6x fixed M8 Leupolds on 222s and the like, but not for bigger stuff.

Doc Highwall
01-23-2015, 11:54 AM
I have noticed that almost all scopes that the military uses are now variable power which shows that they are reliable, a fixed power "might" have a sharper picture but will be subjective to who is doing the viewing and under what conditions.

Four Fingers of Death
01-23-2015, 06:04 PM
Your military have been using variables since Vietnam from what I can see.

Clay M
01-23-2015, 07:12 PM
My two main #1's are woods rifles..One is a .45/70 and the other is a .405 win.. I have the Leupold VX3 1.5x5 powered scopes on both.. I also use two Ruger offset rings.. I don't crawl the stock on any rifle to get a full field of view.Just wherever my face most comfortably fits the stock, and then the scopes must be set up to meet my requirement. As far as a Fixed powered scope of 4X or 6X I like them very much on a rifle that I will use to hunt open ground.. I don't like them on a woods rifle, where my average shot will be 50 yds.. They are good and strong.I have had a Swarovski 6X on a Steyr Professional rifle for thirty years.. I have taken many head of game with that rifle and never had to adjust the scope at all in 30years.
My old hunting buddy recently ask me if I wanted to sell that rilfe..I said..Ah...No.

01-23-2015, 07:27 PM
Fixed my eye relief issues by shortening the stock. Hate long lengths of pull. Between my short little arms and looking like the Michelin Man when it's cold, I like a short length of pull.

Roundball
01-23-2015, 08:34 PM
Searched out the Ruger rings speaking with the Ruger online store. Never got a satisfactory answer. Ordinary Ruger rings cannot be reversed unless modified. Nobody could tell me if there were some extension rings that could be placed, or reversed, to allow the scope more rearward travel. In the meantime a Weaver 3x has been installed using the Ruger medium rings with no problem. I figured if the extension ring were placed in the back the scope would be too far back bringing another set of problems and a busted head. Still looking.

Clay M
01-23-2015, 08:45 PM
I have never had a cut brow,and I have owned .458 win mags and .416 Rem Mags,and .375 H&H..
That is why I say I never crawl the stock on a rifle.If the scope won't work, then I get a scope that will.
I always take the new rings on a Ruger #1 and send them back to Ruger and swap them for two offset or extention rings..

Tom W.
01-25-2015, 02:17 PM
You don't want the rings butting up against the turret unless you gave a desire to ruin a scope. I learned the hard way about that.

On my #1B chambered in 30/06 A.I., I put a fixed six Leupold and had to use the doublenoffset rings to make me happy. My #1B in 7mm remmag just needed one offset ring.

nanuk
01-26-2015, 06:02 PM
I have a 1B in 270Win. Put a 2.5x8VXIII on it, sighted it in, and never touched it since. that was back in 1986.

it has ALMOST enough eye relief

I lean into my rifles when I shoot, and find most scopes don't have near enough options to move them forward far enough.

as well, I would like, if I could (like I do on my Handis) have the scope ahead of the breech block. I hated having to fight putting rounds in if I have my shooting gloves on when I'm in a hurry for a second shot. (I have since changed my attitude and only take one shot, a sure one. Any doubt and I pass on it)

Four Fingers of Death
01-26-2015, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the link to the offset scope rings. They appear to only be available in 25mm / 1 inch which is a shame as I have a new Leupold VX6 1-6x24 and it is an amazing (if a tad expensive) scope and I was toying with the idea of fitting it to the No1s. The turrets seem to be in a different spot so it would probably get by on the standard 30mm rings.

I checked my No1s in 303 British and 375H&H. The 303 has a M8 6x fitted as a temporary measure as it is still a range rifle, running in and working out loads, et and the 375H&H has a Leupold VariX111 1.5 - 4 (or 5, I can't remember 100%). The big un' is also in the load development / running in phase, but that scope sits well on it and will probably remain. Both have the turrets crowded a tad and the positioning of the scopes is less than ideal.

The two 338WMs I have, a 1B and a Medium Sporter have an old Leupold 3-9 (no model marked on it, so it is old) and the Sporter has either an M8 6x as a temp measure or a Vari X11 2-7, I can't quite remember and it is pouring rain and my motorcycle and a heap of junk are in front of that safe. From memory, the scope positioning is also less than ideal.

It looks like I will be reviewing the situation and ordering some offset rings to get the positioning perfect.

I am considering rebarrelling the 1B to a 222 and one of those old M8 6X scopes would be ideal.

Roundball
01-26-2015, 11:04 PM
Ran into a similar discussion of rings in another place. Evidently, the ring is listed as "offset" rather than extended. The number for this ring is 4BO by this account. The other source continued explaining that this ring is difficult to find and subject higher than list price by the scalpers. I attempted to find some from Ruger in New Hampshire. None were in stock and the sales person said she was uncertain when they would have any more. Got a much better answer here than at the Ruger store. I asked using the 4BO nomenclature . Looks like it's going to be the 3x Weaver for a time. Incidentally , I was sixteenth call in line. Be ready to sit for a while,

Tatume
01-27-2015, 07:17 AM
http://www.opticsplanet.com/ruger-scope-ring-4bo-medium-blue-offset-90276.html

BruceB
01-27-2015, 10:55 AM
[QUOTE=Roundball;3109688]. Evidently, the ring is listed as "offset" rather than extended. QUOTE]

YES!!!!!!

How in blazes did this become common usage?

Gents "OFFSET" means a ring that is "offset" from the center-line of the rifle, off to the side. The M1 Garand and the Model 94 Winchester are examples of rifles requiring OFFSET rings/mounts, to allow loading and ejection from designs which do those functions at the top of the action.

EXTENDED rings are those which "extend" to a different location ALONG THE CENTER-LINE of the rifle, allowing the sight to be positioned (usually further back) differently than a non-extended set of rings will permit.

"OFFSET" means "to the SIDE of the rifle's center-line".

Clay M
01-27-2015, 12:07 PM
Ruger came up with that. All my life they have been called extension rings..

timspawn
01-27-2015, 12:30 PM
I ended up getting Leupold extended rings from OpticsPlanet for my rifle. I put a Leupold fixed 4X on it and it is borderline but will work. Two extended rings would work much better and I may end up ordering another set.

Roundball
01-27-2015, 04:23 PM
No doubt. I was just thrilled to get onto the right path for correcting this problem. Evidently, the Ruger rep. was able to relate to the name and number. This information, as stated, came from elsewhere. Perhaps this ring is off set viewed from the side. Who knows. I regret now being unable to use Leupold scopes my Number Ones. Thanks for the help working through this dilemma.

Four Fingers of Death
01-27-2015, 11:10 PM
The extended (aka offset, lol) rings seem to only be available in 25mm/ 1".

Dusty Ed
01-29-2015, 10:05 AM
Howdy Tim
I have a Ruger #1 B with 6X Leopold scope since the early 70's never had a problem with eye relief.
Dusty Ed;)

Four Fingers of Death
01-29-2015, 08:13 PM
My older Leupolds seem to be a lot longer in the body/tube.

Good Cheer
01-30-2015, 10:29 AM
OK, it's not a No.1 or a No.3 any more for that matter.
But, the fixed six is what works for the hunting conditions.

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy192/SNARGLEFLERK/R_zpsdd68b640.jpg (http://s791.photobucket.com/user/SNARGLEFLERK/media/R_zpsdd68b640.jpg.html)

timspawn
01-31-2015, 06:38 PM
OK, it's not a No.1 or a No.3 any more for that matter.
But, the fixed six is what works for the hunting conditions.

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy192/SNARGLEFLERK/R_zpsdd68b640.jpg (http://s791.photobucket.com/user/SNARGLEFLERK/media/R_zpsdd68b640.jpg.html)

Very nice!