PDA

View Full Version : Is this Lee loader 44 mag or 44 Special?

Alexn20
01-14-2015, 10:24 AM
Could it do both? Does anyone know or have one they can compare it to? Please excuse my ignorance. I have never used one before there is no ID anywhere I can find.

Any Help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
-Alex

Wayne Smith
01-14-2015, 10:36 AM
If it is a 44 it should fit both. Try a Mag case and see if it sizes adequately. There might be a problem crimping, though. I've never used one of those in a pistol caliber.

Alexn20
01-14-2015, 10:42 AM
Its definitely 44 caliber. I dont have any 44 brass to check the fit. I know someone on here will be able to tell me though. :)

Larry Gibson
01-14-2015, 11:38 AM
Used an identical Lee Loader to load many thousands of 44 Magnum and 44 SPL rounds. The die only sizes the case and mine always sized 44 SPL cases well enough. The case mouth expander and crimping operations with the Lee Loader are independent of case length.

Larry Gibson

LUBEDUDE
01-14-2015, 11:57 AM
I learned how to load metallic cartridges with that same kit when I was 18 about 40 yrs ago.

I had no problem doing all processes with both 44 spl and Mag.

Have fun! :)

Wayne Smith
01-14-2015, 12:17 PM
The case mouth expander and crimping operations with the Lee Loader are independent of case length.

Larry Gibson
Learn something new every day. I did not know that. Thanks, Larry.

Alexn20
01-14-2015, 12:22 PM
Thanks Guys! You guys always help me out! I appreciate it a ton.

I acquired this in a purchase that came with a box full of reloading stuff. I took the things I was interested in and the rest has been going up for sale. I just want to make sure I understand what I am posting for sale.

This is going up on swapping and selling today if you are interested.

mdi
01-14-2015, 12:39 PM
I also started with a Lee Loader, in 1969. Check the instructions/load data chart and mebbe the box. I believe you can load both Specials and Magnums (I haven't reloaded a Special in many years). On occasion when I feel "retro", I'll break out my Lee Loader(s). I've got my 38/357 on the bench now...

FWIW, that thingy you're measuring is the flaring tool...

Alexn20
01-14-2015, 01:10 PM
I looked all over for the load data and it isn't in the documentation that came with the box. There is nothing specifying the caliber other than the stamp on the body. I took some measurements and made sure its all 44 cal.

The measurement I am taking on the flaring tool is probably not helpful at all since its only flaring the brass. I originally thought the entire piece went in the brass cartridge.

Its OK. I am used to looking like a Jack A$$. lol

W.R.Buchanan
01-14-2015, 02:04 PM
I ran into a problem when I bought my first .44 cal Lee Loader. The Special Version would open up enough to seat Magnum length, but the Magnum Version wouldn't close down enough to do Specials. Lee fixed this quickly.

The sizing portion does either one. The problem is seating bullets. All the later versions will do both. The ones the one I had problems with were the first run that was put into Red Plastic boxes and that was 1976-7. I ended up with a Special version. Gave it to a friend who foolishly gave it away to some other fool.

I then bought a Rock Chucker as I couldn't load ammo fast enough, but I also didn't have any production experience. After working as a machinist doing production work for many years I now know I could load ammo just as fast with one of these as I could with the single stage press.

It's only when the numbers of needed production grow past like 200 per session that the capability of progressive type machines can be realized.

You could do 200+ on a Lee Loader as well it would just take more time, but if you've got the time. What the Hey?

Randy

smalltownguy
09-23-2015, 09:37 PM
http://leeloaderdata.com/

dudel
09-24-2015, 11:15 AM
I've done 38Spl and 357Mag on the same loader. Longer case makes sizing a bit tougher than the shorter case. Case lube really helps here. Have to be careful seating projectiles. Make sure you've got the stem in far enough.

I suspect 44Spl and 44Mag would work just fine.