PDA

View Full Version : I have a problem with a Savage barrel swaup

kbstenberg
01-14-2015, 10:07 AM
OK guys. I have a question on my Savage Axis barrel swaup. I am changing calibers from a 223 to a 7TCU. My problem.
I head spaced the barrel properly to a 223 go gauge. A full length 223 case chambers just fine. When I try to chamber one of my full length sized 7TCU the bolt woun't close completely. When I sized the 7 brass the shell holder bottoms out on the bottom of the die. The way it should.
If I unscrew the barrel by about 1/4 of a turn the brass will properly chamber.
This brass has been shot in my TC Contender before this. But I have had a problem with the occasional FTF in the Cont. with about a 1 in 20 FTF's. Kevin

NSB
01-14-2015, 10:18 AM
Kevin, are you talking "it won't feed" with a bullet in the case? If so, it's probably because the bullets out too far. It's a long bullet for this case and usually requires deeper seating with the heavier bullets. My old TC bbls. wouldn't let me seat out very far at all and I mostly used lighter bullets for the caliber. You may have to lengthen the throat.

GRUMPA
01-14-2015, 10:23 AM
It seems your going about this with just a slight hic-up. No 2 chambers are going to be the same the way the tolerances are for that case and sounds like your trying to match up the TC chamber with the new barrel. I use the L.E.Wilson case gauge and an indicator when I form cases, and if I had something that actually used what I convert I would be using the indicator on the fired cases in the gauge to see how much it moved from before and after firing. Rarely do I get converted cases in spec just bottoming out the die against the shell holder, I have to modify either the shell holder or the die itself. I just got in a die that required me to make off .03 from the bottom in order for the case to be in spec.

RickinTN
01-14-2015, 11:03 AM
Easy enough. There is probably a difference in how much each of your full length size dies sets back the datum line. Use one of your TCU cases which has been full-length sized in your die as your "go" headspace gauge. You'll be setting the headspace to your cases and dies.
Rick

tomme boy
01-14-2015, 11:13 AM
Set the HS back the way it is supposed to be. Remember this. NEW barrel, NEW brass. You will not have a problem after the first firing of the brass. The TC is the problem. They seem to have large chambers. Throw away all that brass and start over.

akajun
01-14-2015, 01:01 PM
I know that they are supposed to use 223 hs gauges, but 7tcu removes so much of the shoulder that the datum line the 223 hs gauge manufacturer used may be in the wrong spot. See if the .223 go will close in your tc contender , if it will then you may have another problem . I , however would have a 7tcu go gauge ground at ptg