PDA

View Full Version : Hornady great plains bullets ?

GunnyJohn
01-14-2015, 08:35 AM
I have been shooting PRB's out of my rifle, because the Maxi's that I had wouldn't shoot accurately. My brother in law had some Hornady Great Plains bullets and said that they shot well out of his rifle, so I borrowed a couple. When I shot them they appeared to group decently.(we were in the field using a rock for a target) Tonite after work I plan to pick up a box for further testing. What I'm wondering is if anyone makes a mold that casts a similar boolit? Thanks in advance.

dondiego
01-14-2015, 10:38 AM
What's wrong with the PRB's?

fouronesix
01-14-2015, 12:36 PM
Isn't the Hornady GP bullet swaged with shallow knurling and banding? So there would be no direct version in cast form. Several on this forum use a similar profile/weight cast GG bullet sized to bore diameter or sized to accept paper patch to bore diameter.

May depend on the caliber, rifle and twist rate but I had the opposite results when testing the Hornady GP years ago in a 50 cal 48" twist. The Hornady GP shot much worse than the T/C Maxiball and the GP leaded the bore. Obviously individual results may vary and one person's definition of accuracy is different from another's definition.

Motor
01-14-2015, 02:34 PM
I have used the Hornady GP bullet. In my opinion its basically a hallow base mini. I have a Lee mold that makes a large hallow base mini I think its also 385 grains. It may be a reasonal replacement for the GP.

"What's wrong with the PRB's?" As far as punching paper goes, nothing. But beyond that there really is no comparasion. That's why they switched to conicals long before they quit muzzle stuffing.

johnson1942
01-14-2015, 03:29 PM
whats the cal. and the twist of the rifleing?

dondiego
01-14-2015, 04:22 PM
I have used the Hornady GP bullet. In my opinion its basically a hallow base mini. I have a Lee mold that makes a large hallow base mini I think its also 385 grains. It may be a reasonal replacement for the GP.

"What's wrong with the PRB's?" As far as punching paper goes, nothing. But beyond that there really is no comparasion. That's why they switched to conicals long before they quit muzzle stuffing.

I agree - There is no comparison.

koger
01-14-2015, 08:05 PM
I have taken 43 deer with the Great Plains bullet in .50 and .54, even out to 200yds, but had to know my elevation, which I did. The TC Maxi Hunter, and Lyman maxi slug, which is a flat base, both shoot as good as the Great Plains for me, with real 2ffg black, and 95 grs in the .50, 105 in the .54. For the flat base bullets, use a lubed felt or fiber wad, underneath to protect the base. I had extremely tight groups out of my TC Hawkens and Renegade factory barrels, both on a Renegade double trigger stock, that was glass bedded, hard to believe for some folks how much that helps. With a scope, 2x7, at 100yds, cloverleafs were the norm if I did my part, either caliber. Both barrels had great bores, and were care for very well.

GunnyJohn
01-14-2015, 09:53 PM
Nothing is really wrong with the PRB's. I just figured that I could get a little more range for elk with the heavier bullet.
What's wrong with the PRB's?

Motor
01-17-2015, 04:03 PM
Nothing is really wrong with the PRB's. I just figured that I could get a little more range for elk with the heavier bullet.

For hunting big game you want as much sectional density as possible. Round balls have the least of any projectile. Let's face it we are not all perfect shots.

fouronesix
01-17-2015, 05:33 PM
GJ,
I don't know that I would approach it from the standpoint of increasing range for elk. But for certain from the standpoint of ensuring good penetration on elk. The conical is the clear winner over the PRB in that category… and will be the better choice if accuracy is maintained.