PDA

View Full Version : What is a composite pistol mould??

Muskrat Mike
02-23-2008, 10:50 AM
There is a "composite pistol mould on ebay that is 4 hours away from selling for at least $ 155.00. What is it and why would I want one??

Maven
02-23-2008, 11:25 AM
Lyman made 3 different models of these molds: #358624, #429625, $ #452626 designed for "full house" loads in the .38spl/.357mag.; the .44spl./.44mag. and the .45 Long Colt (?). The idea was to allow you to cast a two-part bullet with a hard base and soft, expanding nose. The base was to be cast of linotype (preferred) or Lyman #2 alloy, with the nose cast separately of pure lead. The two castings were later epoxied together (this was pre-cyanoacrylic glue, e.g., "Crazy Glue") allowed to dry and then sized [via a lube-sizer] to fit your revolver. Considering that 4 operations were needed to produce a finished CB, I'm not surprised that these weren't a marketing success in the 1980's, nor am I shocked that they've become "vintage" items or collectibles. $155 will buy a lot of jacketed bullets or several multiple cavity [handgun] bullet molds. The latter's droppings seem to do quite well for hunting especially if you pour a measured amount of Pb into the mold first and a harder alloy second. Btw, search for BruceB's posts on this subject.

Muskrat Mike
02-23-2008, 11:31 AM
Boy that seems like a lot of work!

hotwheelz
02-23-2008, 08:44 PM
Lyman made 3 different models of these molds: #358624, #429625, $ #452626 designed for "full house" loads in the .38spl/.357mag.; the .44spl./.44mag. and the .45 Long Colt (?). The idea was to allow you to cast a two-part bullet with a hard base and soft, expanding nose. The base was to be cast of linotype (preferred) or Lyman #2 alloy, with the nose cast separately of pure lead. The two castings were later epoxied together (this was pre-cyanoacrylic glue, e.g., "Crazy Glue") allowed to dry and then sized [via a lube-sizer] to fit your revolver. Considering that 4 operations were needed to produce a finished CB, I'm not surprised that these weren't a marketing success in the 1980's, nor am I shocked that they've become "vintage" items or collectibles. $155 will buy a lot of jacketed bullets or several multiple cavity [handgun] bullet molds. The latter's droppings seem to do quite well for hunting especially if you pour a measured amount of Pb into the mold first and a harder alloy second. Btw, search for BruceB's posts on this subject.

You have it right on except you would size the base of the bullet with the included top punch then glue let dry then lube according to the instruction.

Happy7 should do a report on it I sold 1 to him a couple weeks ago and the one I just sold on E-bay got out of hand sold for $262. All I can say is there are some rich people in the world. It did look like alot of work to make one bullet

Maven
02-24-2008, 10:59 AM
hotwheelz, After rereading the section on composite molds in the Lyman CB Handbk. I realized I forgot to add the part about sizing the bases first. That makes 5 operations to -> a finished CB, not including the cure time for the epoxy. Btw, Bullet Lady has one of these mold sets (excellent condition) up for bids on the Auction Arms>Reloading Gear>Bullet Molds site: Her reputation is sterling.