PDA

View Full Version : How hot for roundball?

Saint
02-23-2008, 05:18 AM
Question for the roundball casters out there. I cast at night outdoors and it seems the only time I can pour decent roundballs is if I get my melt glowing just a little. I do not have a thermometer and I am on a budget. Is it normal to need to keep it this hot. It builds slag very quick like this too.

Guido4198
02-23-2008, 06:42 AM
Don't know about the "glowing..." but I can tell you that I find it necessary to use higher heat when casting pure lead RB than alloys in other designs. Also, it seems to help if I cast as rapidly as safety allows.
Hope this helps..
Don

calsite
02-23-2008, 11:35 AM
I used to cast alot of RB's, I remember an old buddy saying that the larger diameter RB's didn't need as much heat as the littler ones. I started at I believe 675 and adjusted the temp abit until I didn't see anymore wrinkles, I then casted as many as I could until they started showing signs of frosting and then took a couple of minute break. I was using mainly Lee moulds then and I know most people say the Lee Alum. moulds like a little more heat. I never tried it in the dark though. I'd say as long as your RB's are coming out shinny and wrinkle free you're in the groove.

beagle
02-23-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm running at about 675 as well and they fill out pretty well once the mould gets warmed up./beagle

Maven
02-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Saint, Is the mold 100% free of grease, oil or other preservatives? Have you smoked the cavity/cavities with a wooden match or butane lighter? If so, I have to admit that I can't get decent casts if the pot temp. is <750 deg. One last thought: It sometimes helps to add a 4" - 8" length of 1/16" (approx.) 50/50 solder to your Pb to help fill-out. I.e., this helps reduce the surface tension, but there isn't enough Sn to raise the hardness of the RB's.

montana_charlie
02-23-2008, 12:11 PM
I cast at night outdoors
I'm tempted to wonder what the air temperature is during those night time, outdoor casting sessions. Air that is cooling your (empty) mould too much, and trying to chill each ladleful of lead, will definitely require a higher pot temperature to achieve any success.

And...you made no mention, but...
I assume you are also paying attention to the moon phase...right?

CM

Saint
02-26-2008, 05:18 AM
I have done all of the mould prep. I always degrease then smoke the mould. I cast year round and the nights here are anywhere from 90 degrees to -10 degrees but the temp requires little adjustment no matter what time of year just as long as it's glowing. And I make sure I only cast lead until the full moon when I load the pot with a little silver, but I still don't find the planet alignment to make any diffrence.