View Full Version : What handle style for 4 cavity mold? Scissor or Nutcracker?

Rock
01-13-2015, 07:37 PM
Since my new (to me) mold will not fit my current inventory of mold handles I need to go shop for a new set of handles for a Lyman 4 cavity mold.

Do you prefer:

A. Scissor style handles?
OR
B. Nutcracker style handles?

New handles are required because the handle slot in the mold is narrower than my current handles.

shoot-n-lead
01-13-2015, 07:44 PM
I tend to like them both.

I have more molds with scissor handles...but my favorite mold in my inventory has nutcracker's on it.

waco
01-13-2015, 07:53 PM
Definitely the scissor handles for me.

varmint243
01-13-2015, 09:56 PM
Scissor, without a doubt
In fact, if you would like to borrow my nutcracker handles
I will send them to you and you can send them back when you are done testing

btroj
01-13-2015, 10:17 PM
The nutcracker handles are horrible. They are why I don't use my Lyman 4 cav much. Well, I use it now as I got a scissor handle from Red River Rick and it is awesome.

Cherokee
01-13-2015, 11:45 PM
I have always used the nutcraker style with my Lyman and NEI 4 Cv molds.

fecmech
01-14-2015, 11:52 AM
I started out with Lyman 4 cavs and the nutcracker handles and was gifted with some H&G 4 cavs with scissor handles. They both work just fine for me, I guess I'm just used to the differences.

plainsman456
01-14-2015, 12:14 PM
All i have are the scissor handles.

I like them

depoloni
01-14-2015, 12:35 PM
Toss me in on the scissor handle-preferred side. Only have one older brass mold that uses nutcrackers, and they work, but much prefer the scissors.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-14-2015, 12:36 PM
Shortly after I started casting, I was lucky enough to buy a large collection of casting stuff. In it, were a couple Lyman 4 cavity molds with nutcracker handles...I was very much a newbie at that time and found using the Nutcrackers very cumbersome. I quickly sold the handles and modified some Lee commercial handles to fit. I much prefer the scissor style.

A close friend and member here, prefers the Nutcracker for those heavy molds. I think if I kept them and figured out a "setup" around my bottom pour pot, I would have grown to like them...Maybe?

Echo
01-14-2015, 01:18 PM
A close friend and member here, prefers the Nutcracker for those heavy molds. I think if I kept them and figured out a "setup" around my bottom pour pot, I would have grown to like them...Maybe?
Probably not - the scissor-type are so much handier for dumping the boolits. I'm selling any nutcracker handles I have...

runfiverun
01-14-2015, 01:26 PM
don't matter to me i'll use either style.
if I had to buy some new ones I'd get a set or 4 of red river ricks scissor types and be happy.
there is a trick to the nut cracker type and it involves using your ring and little finger to hold open the handles while you tap the hinge pin to release those square lube grooved boolits.
then flicking the little finger over the handle to close it while flipping the mold back over.

Walter Laich
01-14-2015, 04:53 PM
The nutcracker handles are horrible. They are why I don't use my Lyman 4 cav much. Well, I use it now as I got a scissor handle from Red River Rick and it is awesome.

+1
They are worth every penny

georgerkahn
01-14-2015, 06:26 PM
A. Scissor style handles -- although a few of my 8+ cavity moulds do have the nutcracker type, and I reckon they'd be quite the challenge to use (weight/balance) if these were of the Scissor style.
BEST!
georgerkahn

tazman
01-14-2015, 07:21 PM
I like the nutcracker handles for the Lyman 4 cavity steel molds. I have one set of scissor handles for them and it puts the weight too far out for me. Hard on my wrists.
I guess if I was young and didn't have arthritis in my wrists it wouldn't matter as much. That is one of the reasons I like aluminum molds so much.

GaryN
01-15-2015, 12:35 AM
Scissors for me.

bobthenailer
01-15-2015, 08:05 AM
I have used both and for me I'll take the scissor type , there alot faster and easy to manipulate . so more bullets made in the same amount of time vs nutcracker type.
I use only scissor type handles for any mould between 1 and 8 cavity.