PDA

View Full Version : Bullet sizer

pahermit
01-13-2015, 03:58 PM
I plan on orderinf already cast bullets and powder coat them myself.What piece of equipment do I need to just size the pc bullet without lubeing it? Do I just get a lubricator/sizer and not add the lube or is there a different type of equipment needed?

Tatume
01-13-2015, 04:16 PM
You could do it faster and less expensively with a Lee sizing kit. You will probably need some sort of lubricant, but that shouldn't be a problem. Just about any spray lubricant applied sparingly should do.

Retumbo
01-13-2015, 04:22 PM
Get a lee push through and no, don't need to lube it

pahermit
01-13-2015, 04:57 PM
Just went on utube and watched a guy useing that lee unit.Looks good but I noticed he lubed the cast bullet first.I'm not sure if I should lube the bullets because I intend to powder coat them.Can I just resize them without the lube or will I be getting the bullets stuck?

tazman
01-13-2015, 05:03 PM
I have been sizing boolits using the Lee push through sizer for thousands of rounds. I never lube them before sizing.
I lube them after sizing with tumble lube. In the past, when I powder coated, I sized them without lubing them first. I am told that spraying a bit of oil on them makes the job easier but I never needed it.

Tatume
01-13-2015, 05:04 PM
The worst that can happen is you will damage a couple of bullets. Try it and see how it works for you.

newton
01-13-2015, 06:40 PM
I would powder coat then size. They are quite fine to size after powder coating, not one problem. No need to size, then powder coat, then size again.

Lee is going to be your best bet for expense and ease.

Seeker
01-13-2015, 07:09 PM
Directions with Lee sizing kit says to lube bullets first to prevent leading the die. Unless your bullets are excessively over size I wouldn't think you'd have to lube them first. JMO

newton
01-13-2015, 10:53 PM
Directions with Lee sizing kit says to lube bullets first to prevent leading the die. Unless your bullets are excessively over size I wouldn't think you'd have to lube them first. JMO

Ive seen this too. I scratch my head about it. How lead can be deposited by pushing a boolit through is beyond me. I think it could build up at the entrance as ruff as most does are. But inside the sizing part I just cannot see. I might have to do a test sometime to see

Wayne Smith
01-14-2015, 08:37 AM
Actually, if you did need to lube them, just a drop of water would do it. Dries off easily, too!

rhead
01-14-2015, 09:01 AM
If the unlubed boolits feel like they need sizing a spoon full of liquid dish washing detergent and enough water to covert them will slick them up nicely. Rinse them a couple of times and dry them before powder coating.

guncheese
01-14-2015, 11:02 AM
if your buying cast bullets
they will be of a consistent size
just use the Lee sizer with no lube after powder coat
there is no need to gum up the works or make more work than required
coat size load shoot in that order

dondiego
01-14-2015, 05:02 PM
If you by commercial cast boolits they will already be lubed. Will that cause an issue for powder coating?

Retumbo
01-15-2015, 11:02 AM
Yes it will, you will have to melt off the wax(or what ever) and clean with a solvent.

blikseme300
01-15-2015, 03:01 PM
Tho only gotcha with the Lee dies are that they often need some internal smoothing or polishing as they can be quite rough. A few minutes with a dowel and fine wet/dry paper fixes this.

MT Gianni
01-16-2015, 03:12 PM
If you by commercial cast boolits they will already be lubed. Will that cause an issue for powder coating?
You can ask to buy unlubed, unsized bullets.