PDA

View Full Version : Caution! This Site Ruins Lives!

guicksylver
01-13-2015, 11:01 AM
Yep with out question. Consider this. Before I found this site I probably had about eight molds,(All Lymans), pistol and rifle. I was happy.

BUT NOT NOW ,I have a couple dozen thanks to Al at NOE and the boys here at the site.

Too many choices,all good by the way (Not a bad shooter in the bunch), now I can't be gruppy anymore.

Used to be I just set my pot to whatever the dial read and believed it,No MORE, I now have a thermostat and can regulate the temp to the sweet spot, (mine seems to be 675) and speaking about sweet spots, I now have a probe on my molds, Yep that works too, BUT IT,S SOMETHING ELSE TO WATCH!

Used to be you got a mold and took your time waiting to break them in ( something to look forward to) , now these new molds from Al you just wash off, heat a couple of times, smoke 'em if you want and start dropping good boolets right out of the gate! BUT WHERE IS THE FUN! (re-member waiting for the ketchup to run to the mouth of the old glass bottle?)

Don't even get me started with lube!
Had been using Lee Liquid Alox ( You know the little 4 oz bottle), along with my 50/50,BUT NOT NOW!

I Just got a 32oz. bottle of xlox from Glen and a bottle of Jhonson Liguid Paste Wax.
I now have about 42 oz of Ben's LL Alox for the price of 4 bottles of Lee's stuff, Can't be gruppy about that!

I was happy with 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" groups @ 100 yds with my 1903's an A3's,
NO MORE!, If I don't come home with at least 50% @ 3/4" or under, I consider the day just so-so.

Used to be I could take my time working up loads to shoot 1 MOA, NOT ANY MORE!.

My last two mew 30 cal moulds from Al shot 3/4" @ 100 yds out of the box, one recipe each. OK ,NOW WHAT!

Wheel weights were fine by me, they almost gave them away at the garages, remember?

Not anymore, I now know about 20-1,10-1 add tin (2%), my new alloy 4 parts wheel weights, 1 part Lino.
Oh and sizing boolets! I once had one sizing die for 30 cal.(and was happy),NOT ANY MORE.

I could go on and on, but what's the use!

I am 67 ,I used to worry about SS running out, now I worry that I won't have time to fully explore all the goodies that pop up on this site!

At 67 I thought you are supposed to be a gruppy old man, but it is getting harder with all the help I have gotten here.

Does this site really ruin lives? I will let you decide and by the way, to those still with us and those who have passed, THANKS GUYS!

osteodoc08
01-13-2015, 11:43 AM
I dont really see the problem. :p

Harter66
01-13-2015, 11:58 AM
I'm not quite 50 and since finding and really digging into this site I've gone from a little 6 foot table a Partner, a RockChucker, 2 MECs ,a couple 50 cal cans ,1 20mm can and 2 medicine cabinets .
Now I have a 3x5 ,2RC ,a Load Master, 3 scales ,4 powder measures , a 3 x6 cabinet for dies ,bullets and dodads like length tuned trimmer pilots and custom expander pins . Then there's a 6ft bench for 3 MECs a Pacific and 3 20mm cans of cases and at least 12 flavors of wads . (What was I thinking getting by with CSD 118,RXP 12 and RXP 20)
I wouldn't have believed that I would "need" 4 38/357 moulds and 2 more 9mm moulds or 5 45 moulds to keep a couple of pistols and a carbine happy. Who's bright idea was it to start paper patching? Now there's another 6 foot bench with 3 shelves of just casting gear and that has pushed the gun tools from 3 30 cal cans and a 1 piece into a dedicated 4 drawer top box and a small umbrella stand. 100# at a time was fine 10 years ago too,but not now, oh no now I make road trips for picnics to long all alone middle of the desert hi way full stop junctions and walk 200 yd on all 8 shoulders. I walk down clean often sweeped streets and look at the storm drains thinking "I bet there's 20 lbs of WW down there if I had a 4 ft pole magnet it could be mine", my MIL even picks up WW for me and hagles a guy down to $10 for a $25 box at a storage with 3 bags of lead shot in it .
I blame it all on this place . Like you they have my thanks or there would only be cast in an old knock about 38 and it would have never been possible to even be thinking about it for a Magnum rifle . ( Why isn't that 260_120 here yet how will I ever get that 6.5 ready for deer season ,just in case I happen to draw) .

foesgth
01-13-2015, 12:22 PM
I once ran a boat for a man who was fond of saying "When a man runs out of projects he dies". He sold the boat and was gone in six months. Thanks to this site, using his theory, I should be around for the next two centuries. Excuse me I need to go see if there are any new mold group buys:-)

Calamity Jake
01-13-2015, 12:27 PM
I dont really see the problem. :p

^^^^^^^^^There it is.

guicksylver
01-13-2015, 12:45 PM
I'm not quite 50 and since finding and really digging into this site I've gone from a little 6 foot table a Partner, a RockChucker, 2 MECs ,a couple 50 cal cans ,1 20mm can and 2 medicine cabinets .
Now I have a 3x5 ,2RC ,a Load Master, 3 scales ,4 powder measures , a 3 x6 cabinet for dies ,bullets and dodads like length tuned trimmer pilots and custom expander pins . Then there's a 6ft bench for 3 MECs a Pacific and 3 20mm cans of cases and at least 12 flavors of wads . (What was I thinking getting by with CSD 118,RXP 12 and RXP 20)
I wouldn't have believed that I would "need" 4 38/357 moulds and 2 more 9mm moulds or 5 45 moulds to keep a couple of pistols and a carbine happy. Who's bright idea was it to start paper patching? Now there's another 6 foot bench with 3 shelves of just casting gear and that has pushed the gun tools from 3 30 cal cans and a 1 piece into a dedicated 4 drawer top box and a small umbrella stand. 100# at a time was fine 10 years ago too,but not now, oh no now I make road trips for picnics to long all alone middle of the desert hi way full stop junctions and walk 200 yd on all 8 shoulders. I walk down clean often sweeped streets and look at the storm drains thinking "I bet there's 20 lbs of WW down there if I had a 4 ft pole magnet it could be mine", my MIL even picks up WW for me and hagles a guy down to $10 for a $25 box at a storage with 3 bags of lead shot in it .
I blame it all on this place . Like you they have my thanks or there would only be cast in an old knock about 38 and it would have never been possible to even be thinking about it for a Magnum rifle . ( Why isn't that 260_120 here yet how will I ever get that 6.5 ready for deer season ,just in case I happen to draw) .

Now here is some one who knows of what I speak!

Perhaps this thread will lead to a 12 step program for us "CASTERS"

guicksylver
01-13-2015, 12:50 PM
O-O-O-O-PS ! Maybe Not such a good idea as that 12 step Program could become , "A HOW TO CAST" program.

Really have to be careful here.

I do have to say that casting has brought me to stores I would have never otherwise gone, i.e; Fabric Stores, Dacron filler you know.

Harter66
01-13-2015, 01:09 PM
I think 12 steps is how I got here ,it all started so innocently. A rifle that threw bullets every where and a Partner kit from RCBS . Then came the Ohause M5 and weighed cases. Then the bulk bullets for the 38, then it was just a little pot a spoon and a few wheel weights ,a 358-158 RNFP and a 452-255 RNFP..... Oh yeah 12 steps? :)

hiram1
01-13-2015, 04:46 PM
BUT im saving money

guicksylver
01-13-2015, 06:27 PM
BUT im saving money

See, now comes the denial.

Actually the denial was the "I don't see the problem"

This is the rationalizing.

Let's just admit we are powerless and have fun.

buckwheatpaul
01-13-2015, 06:32 PM
All I can say is AMEN to this...thanks square butte for guiding me to my Cast Boolit Family! And thanks to all the ladies and men that have helped me out on my questions....Paul

MrWolf
01-13-2015, 06:37 PM
Hmmm... I have smelted about 1,000 lbs of lead because of this site. I have purchased a powder coating system and an oven which I have not used yet. I have 16 moulds and am waiting on one Mihec group buy and I have not casted yet (I do reload J words). I started here with some shotguns, 22's, and my Beretta 92F. I somehow acquired a few 45's including a Ruger Blackhawk. I now have quite a few Marlin leveractions after shooting my first one in 45-70. I don't see an issue at all but my wife does. Funny how that works [smilie=s:

xs11jack
01-13-2015, 08:37 PM
OK, I admit I am powerless, but I still don't see the problem.
Ole Jack

country gent
01-13-2015, 09:01 PM
Not only does it ruin lives it destroys myths and old wives tales. But the biggest benifit is the passing of information saving the same mistakes being made over and over. I have learned alot here and hopefully helped some out as well. Its a great group of people

leeggen
01-13-2015, 09:17 PM
We need a subforum for the wives and husbands of those that cast so they can help each other understand our madness. Then we can sneak a body in to convence them we are really sane and that we don't have a problem. Best to wonder maybe it is the lead fumes that inflict us to do what we do? Thanks to all that corrupted me and have helped me along.
CD

guicksylver
01-13-2015, 09:56 PM
We need a subforum for the wives and husbands of those that cast so they can help each other understand our madness. Then we can sneak a body in to convence them we are really sane and that we don't have a problem. Best to wonder maybe it is the lead fumes that inflict us to do what we do? Thanks to all that corrupted me and have helped me along.
CD

GREAT IDEA !!!!! I know where I will be when they are online ;)

RogerDat
01-13-2015, 10:13 PM
I knew I learned to read for a reason. And this site does keep me from wasting time on YouTube.

Bzcraig
01-13-2015, 11:44 PM
There is something to be said for the cliche, 'ignorance is bliss,' but no more. But I nearly laughted my hide off cause you didn't even mention case cleaning! I see stainless media in your very near future! It sure makes brass prudy, and purdy brass shrinks groups! Baawaahaa

gray wolf
01-13-2015, 11:55 PM
OK, so if your normal -- then the rest of us are normal---right ?

John Allen
01-13-2015, 11:59 PM
I definitely have an unhealthy addiction to this site. It has made my wallet lighter.

MaryB
01-14-2015, 01:53 AM
Now *** in making holsters and leather working on top of boolit casting... ohh and playing with a laser engraver... I thought I retired...

10x
01-14-2015, 09:47 AM
If I had invested what i spent on molds, gear, and sizers in Mutual funds I could have retired years ago. Despite the market declines and crashes...

guicksylver
01-14-2015, 11:03 AM
There is something to be said for the cliche, 'ignorance is bliss,' but no more. But I nearly laughted my hide off cause you didn't even mention case cleaning! I see stainless media in your very near future! It sure makes brass prudy, and purdy brass shrinks groups! Baawaahaa

How the heck did you know this.

I have been meaning to check that out!

Apparently there is a path we MUST follow!:?

jabo52521
01-14-2015, 11:44 PM
This site has led me in many strange directions. I once had only 3 pistols, a simple LEE press and used j-word bullets. Found this site and that all changed. Have 13 handguns and 6 rifles. Traded my little press in for a progressive, got a casting pot, made some Ben's Red, got a Lyman 450. Today I found myself pan lubing!��
Hi, I'm Joe and I am a Cast Boolits junkie.��

robg
01-15-2015, 12:00 PM
id been loading for years then my wife bought me a mold.that started it now 7 molds, sizers, gas checks plain base molds lubes .i can truful say she made me do it.all her fault.

trapper9260
01-15-2015, 09:52 PM
This site just help me to go further into what I know some about and did some casting .now I have more molds and looking for more lead and make my own lube and found some place that is cheeper for GC and got more guns but do not know now about it anymore.I think I am stuck like the rest on here.But I do not have anyone that need to go to a help line because of what I am doing.It is all on my own .

Wolfer
01-15-2015, 10:32 PM
I could quit anytime I want. It's just that I don't want!

SSGOldfart
01-15-2015, 10:47 PM
I really can't say much the boss is in the room.[smilie=b::bootgive:

Moonie
01-16-2015, 10:28 AM
I do try to warn every new person to run from this place while they still can... :bigsmyl2: