PDA

View Full Version : top punch ?

DeadWoodDan
01-13-2015, 10:03 AM
Lee 410-195 SWC
This takes a Lyman #43 and of course I do not have it. Was curious if a flat top punch would work, as I plan on ordering from NOE and the $5 is half what the Lyman costs...

This boolit has a nice fat metplat and I can't see why it wouldn't, everything I've tried thus far is damaging the nose.

Yodogsandman
01-14-2015, 06:52 PM
I think a 460 or 421 might work for you if you have one.

GP100man
01-14-2015, 08:29 PM
If the meplat is flat just square it up in the die as best ya can & size away , I made a flat punch & rarely change it as most of what I use have flat meplats.

The biggest problem these days are the larger HP cavitys ,ya gotta be careful or you`ll damage the thin walled meplat !!!

GP

John Boy
01-15-2015, 12:34 AM
Make your needed top punch:
* Pour hot glue in TP cavity
* Spit on bullet
* Rub nose of bullet lightly in TP cavity
* Let glue harden
* Cut excess glue off from outside the cavity
Different bullet next time ... Hot Glue

MT Chambers
01-15-2015, 05:28 PM
When using a flat top punch, it can either solve or contribute to concentricity issues with the Lyman/RCBS sizer.

cajun shooter
01-30-2015, 10:15 AM
You can order a set of three flat top punches for $5 from Tom at Accurate molds. They are made of aluminum and will work on most all bullet calibers with a flat meplat.
You may also use the method by John Boy or just look through your TP's and find one that works only on RN bullets and file it flat. Plenty of ways to skin the cat. Take care David