PDA

View Full Version : "what was that??? Hearing protection?"

J-P
01-13-2015, 09:12 AM
I'm sure most everyone on here has cracked off a round or two without their hearing protection and suffered the muffled, ringing ears thing?

I have done it enough to know better. I wear my muffs when shooting and/or using any powertool. My ears are sensitive. I stay as far from the stage as possible at live music events. But, life has a way of throwing curveballs at you every now and again.

I have fired my .44 mag w/o protection when hunting with it. I hate the report off that gun more than any I own. Usually, I'm shooting 240gr bullets over 11 grains of unique. That's not all too hard to handle. For Christmas this year, my brother-in-law bought me a box of 180gr Rems. that are pretty hot and wild. Lots of muzzle flash. Looks and sounds much like firing lightning out of your fingers. While that is awesome in most instances, Monday morning turned out to be an exception.

I woke to the sound of stray dogs fighting in my front lawn. Figured a shot across their bow would dispatch them quite nicely, so I grabbed the old .44 and stepped around the front of the house. Of course, she was loaded with them hot rounds... One glorious Flash and all was quiet and peaceful again. I went back to bed with ringing in my ears. Like usual after that kind of exposure. Didn't think much of it.

Later that morning i got out of bed and noticed a big difference in my world. The ringing was still there a bit, as expected, but instead of muffled hearing it had become sharp, painful and sensitive. Like I was wearing 5" PA speakers on my head with the treble maxed out on the sound board. My kids voices caused actual pain and the clanking of breakfast utensils was unbearable. I had to put plugs in to tolerate the normal sound level in my house. This is for real FOlks.

I did some Googling and found the very unsettling possibility that I had just acquired something called Hyperacusis (Look this Up). A permanent, crippling condition. There are stories of people struggling to live this for years and eventually killing themselves to stop the pain. Immediatly, I felt some worry and regrets about how I lived my life up to this point. I am one of the more careful people I know. I shouldn't have allowed this to happen. Right?

Well, this morning the news may be a little better. The ringing and sesitivity has come down a notch or two. Still, I had to put my earplugs back in in my work truck because the crinkling coming from a paper bag of Donut holes actually was uncomfortable to listen to. The fact that it had such a huge improvement from yesterday, I think I may come back from this one... this time. But the info on the webs says these things are accumulative and that my ears are trying to warn me that they're on the edge. Next time, may be the last time.

Do some reading. Protect your dang ears. This stuff ain't funny.

LUBEDUDE
01-13-2015, 10:20 AM
J-P - so sorry to hear about this. And folks really don't understand it when you tell them.

I've had severe Hyperacusis for over 20 yrs. Such that, if a baby cries in the room or if people start clapping, I get an instant Migrane. It may last 1 or 2 days, or 2 weeks.
I can't be anywhere near a kitchen when people are clanging plates and silverware. The pain is unbearable!
I had to stop going to church. The music was murder!

For over 10 years I could not leave my house without earplugs. I had to two types, regular and hardcore. Hardcore are the molded shooting plugs. Regular are a custom "sawed-off" model.

Through my own research and my doctors help, I have come up with drug therapy to reduce the triggers by about 80-85 %.
I no longer have to leave the house "armed", but I do keep plugs in the truck.

As far as you; you WILL have a few more incidents that will set you back. Then you go full blown.

As far as an incident? It doesn't have to be a gun. You may be filling up with gas when the tanker arrives and he hits those air brakes right next to YOU! BOOM!

Or the stockers at the grocery store dropping a box flat on the floor- BOOM!

I vividly remember the three separate incidents that sent me to this hell.

From then on, when my baby girl fell down crying or cried for any reason, Daddy ran OUT of the room, instead of to his little girls rescue. All through her life. This had to be the worst casualty of all, for the both of us.

Like I said, I've been dealing with this for over a third of my life. If you wish to PM me for a phone # to talk about it, feel free.

Best

w5pv
01-13-2015, 11:41 AM
I have lost a big percentage of my hearing to the Artillery guns when I was in the army.No type of hearing protection was used or offered for use.I wear hearing aids in both ears with the right being the worse.This was because of my postion of the firing the gun or giving the order to fire.Now when I fire any gun from 22 short to the 45's I use double ear protection ear plugs and ear muffs.When hunting I use my hearing aids which cut off at 28 db plus electronic muffs and pray that I can help save what little hearing I have left.

Rick Hodges
01-13-2015, 12:07 PM
Hearing loss and tinnitus, a constant ringing in the ear. Some gunfire you just cant' protect your hearing from...but at the range always plugs and muffs.

Love Life
01-13-2015, 12:32 PM
I looked up "ringing of the ears" on WebMD and it said I have AIDS...and cancer.

J-P
01-13-2015, 12:55 PM
Yes, there is plenty of noise around to destroy my ears. I am a volunteer firefighter as well. So, pretty much that whole thing is going to be tricky. Figuring on selling the .44 and going to only black powder shooting with levels -s-s-s of protection. Most people that damage their hearing just lose their hearing. This would be soo much worse.

Seems the only thing to do now is warn others and hope they listen. The stuff I read yesterday said that poeple with this hyperacusis have a hard time convincing others that the condition is even real.

As I'm writing this, there's a lot of TMJ clicking and popping sounds going on in there and the ringing is going way down. :)

In fact... gone in the right ear.

Thank you Jesus for that.

I'll PM . The phone is a bit harsh at the moment.

lefty o
01-13-2015, 02:05 PM
ive done worse than that, know what your talking about. sad fact is, you have done permanent damage to your hearing now. give it a few days and things will probably settle down.

J-P
01-13-2015, 03:42 PM
Okay.... No kidding.... I just found something on the internet that ACTUALLY helped me.

Next time your ringing won't stop, put your hands over your ears (fingers on the back of your head), place your index fingers on top of your middle fingers (on the same hand) and snap your index fingers down on the back of your head.

My hearing is still tweaked and sensitive, but the intense ringing stopped immediately.

Don't know the science - It probably sounds bogus - but I know that it worked very well to attenuate the noise.

LUBEDUDE
01-13-2015, 03:55 PM
Tried multiple times. Failed

Ringing is still so loud, no sound is loud enough to mask it, sans explosion.

FISH4BUGS
01-13-2015, 04:35 PM
I played in bands from about 12 years old until over 30. I played the organ, first a Farfisa combo compact out of a bass amp, then a Hammond B3 with a Leslie sitting just to my right. I have lost about half the hearing in my right ear. Shooting guns without ear protection as a kid didn't help either.
Coulda, woulda, shoulda...............

Eddie17
01-13-2015, 08:32 PM
Thank you for the information.

dakotashooter2
01-14-2015, 10:16 AM
Not much worth hearing these days anyway....................................